Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wanted: Van Halen Snare Sound

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wanted: Van Halen Snare Sound

I've just barely begun to scratch the surface of creating custom drums on my (expanded) V-Pro kit. I'd like to come up with a snare sound similar to Van Halen's 1984 album. I have no idea what it is, but to me it sounds like a deep mofo with a cranked falam on it. Any suggestions on what parameters to use to accomplish this?

Thanks.

------------------
    Reverend Poppy
    Reverend Poppy

I don't know, but it sounds like an old professor I had in college.
    Immensely powerful yet with a liquid cat-quick elegance

Comment

The snares used on that album were a Ludwig SupraPhonic steel shell (14x6 1/2") and a Sonor Phonic Rosweood (14x8"). Heads were an Ambassador resonant and a CS batter.

Stu
      "Fry that sound effect, Moriarty, we're having it for breakfast"

Comment

super tight tuning and veryclose miking, toallyopen with no muffling and tight snares also. I have found that using a piccolo steel snare and then adjusting the depth, room, etc.. for most stuff like vanhalen , Zepp, etc...gives best results

Comment

Why use Allex VanHalen's snare sound, why not come up with one of your own. Your signature sound.
          Drumkat Turbo 4.5, Emulator X3, Superior 2.1, Roland Fantom XR, DTXtreme III, SPD-20 etc.......

Comment

I'm working on it jrcel. Just looking for a starting point.

------------------
            Reverend Poppy
            Reverend Poppy

Comment

I agree with bonzo these settings work well for me too.......

Comment

Working...
              X