Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

EQ

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EQ

I made the mistake of trying to do my internal EQ configuration (TD-8) using a KC-500 amp as a monitor. Yes, I now know all about the low end distortion when you try to crank it a little, so my EQ settings are a little light on the low end. My options for critical listening are Sony MDR-7506 headphones, PM-3 monitor and the KC-500. Which would serve me best for setting optimal EQ?

I think every speaker sounds different in some way. You will just have to experiment. The headphones are more "forgiving" with different settings (because you hear everything loud and clear anyway), so I would stick with your monitor for adjusting EQ.

My approach is to turn EQ off and just use the mixer to adjust the volume of pads relative to each other. If a particular sample doesn't sound "full" enough (i.e. already properly EQ'd), I just don't use it. For example last night I was sorting through the crashes on my TD-8, and some of them just sound "dead" by default, while others sound bright and dynamic. I just ignore the ones that sound dead.
    Roland TD-20 v1.08, various v-drums and v-cymbals, Yamaha KP65's, Axis pedals, Gibraltar hardware, Mackie 1202/SRM450 (pre-china)

Comment

Gotta jump in:

I love EQ! And, there are two types with the TD-10. One for the overall EQ for all outputs, which I don't use, and the other is for tweaking each individual voice,ie, each tom or snare or cymbal, etc.

The second one is a very powerful asset. Just this week I finally discovered that by setting the lower "shelf" setting to 4 or 5K and boosting the signal, it really added oomph and realism to cymbals!

So, no more "dead" cymbals! Definately use the instrument-specific EQ. Try experimenting with the output-overall EQ - perhaps it will help with your KC-500!
      Immensely powerful yet with a liquid cat-quick elegance

Comment

Working...
      X