Announcement

Collapse

Lounge Posting Guidelines

E-DRUMMING DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST PRODUCT OR TECHNICAL QUESTIONS!

Having issues? Please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

See more
See less

V drummer with an off topic question about microphones.....help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• V drummer with an off topic question about microphones.....help!

V drummer (which hopefully entitles me to ask this question!). Venturing into backing vocals and enquring about good microphones - preferably one that I can wear as a headset and wireless. Any ideas anyone?

Are you going to be leaving your drumset while you are singing? I not I would save the cash and not go wireless. Wireless is nice if you are moving around a lot but if you are just drumming I would use a cable. The problem you run into with wireless is frequency, sometimes it is no problem but other times it is a major headache. If other band members are using wireless gear you have to make sure you have a different frequency. As far as a mic goes buy a good one and save your self some headaches. I had a cheap set of Audiotechnicas that were awefull no gain at all.(I tried to sing once but that was short lived) Buy a better quaility headset with a cable than buying a cheaper wireless. Just my Humble opinion.

------------------
    Ted H.
    www.tocsinrocks.com
    Ted H.

Comment

I agree with not going wireless. Most units also pump up the volume.

For headsets a condensor type microphone in general has a better sound than a dynamic microphone. AKG made de C410 (or something). The drawback is you need a power supply (phantom) for this kinda mikes. Do you play live or in studios with professional sound systems then most mixer consoles have built in power supplies for condensor microphones. But in practice rooms or small clubs you need to buy one yourself

Also check out if the microphones wear fine on your head or behind your ears. Lot of differences here.
      Robert

Comment

Originally posted by julester:
        V drummer (which hopefully entitles me to ask this question!). Venturing into backing vocals and enquring about good microphones - preferably one that I can wear as a headset and wireless. Any ideas anyone?
        Wired headset for sure! I kept hitting the boom mike no matter what I did. Currently using an old Audio Technica headset picked up at a second hand store (works ok I guess, really sterilized it, eeewww, germs). Had an AKG C410 and gave it to my dad because of the phantom power issue (damn).

The voice is a very personal instrument and every bit as deserving to merit spending some extra money imho (even though I can't really sing).

Good Luck.

[This message has been edited by Cyberjam (edited June 14, 2001).]
        Kelly Mercer
        Halifax, Nova Scotia
        Canada

My Youtube Channel!
        http://www.youtube.com/user/VirtualMP3Studio

My "home studio" webcam!
        http://virtualmp3studio.ww.com/

Comment

I agree about using a wire; one thing I hate about a wireless is having to worry about batteries. It seems small but how many times do you see your guitar players looking around for a battery b/c his wireless or gadget thingy needs one.
          I sing backups on about 7 songs throughout the night; and even what parts I do sing are limited; I have tried the headsets but found that the stand alone with a goose neck is more practical for my limited use.
          good luck,
          Zigs

Comment

I don't care for headsets, I can't clear my throat off mike, also, if I have to say something to someone on stage I can't with the headset on. Lastly, I don't like the sound quality of most headsets.
            Drumkat Turbo 4.5, Emulator X3, Superior 2.1, Roland Fantom XR, DTXtreme III, SPD-20 etc.......

Comment

Headsets are great if you enjoy strapping on something you just sweated all over a few days ago - especially if you are into microbiology and get into all the esoteric strains of bacteria you can culture right there, next to your mouth and head! Yikes!!

I've tried both, and you can definately get a gooseneck stand to position a regular mike so it is easy to sing into yet not in the way.

And dollar for dollar, the regular mike will give better sound.

Recommending a mike that won't eat your flesh,

Gingerbaker

Immensely powerful yet with a liquid cat-quick elegance

Comment

Working...
              X