Announcement

Collapse

Lounge Posting Guidelines

E-DRUMMING DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST PRODUCT OR TECHNICAL QUESTIONS!

Having issues? Please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

See more
See less

V Drums in Apartments...experiences?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• V Drums in Apartments...experiences?

I'm considering buying a set of V Drums soon and I was wondering what people's experiences have been playing in apartments with headphones. Is normal playing, striking the heads, enough to get complaints? How about the pounding of the pedal? Has it caused any trouble with people downstairs? I'd hate to buy a kit then have neighbors not be able to put up with it. Thanks for any input....Frank

Welcome aboard DCFrank. You can use the search function on this topic as there have been several posts on it. Summarizing what I have seen on this topic, you shouldn't have a problem with the mesh heads, but the kick will be a problem unless your apartment is really well noise/vibration proofed. The PD-9 and PD-7 pads (used for cymbals and hi-hat) are also noisy and could be a problem as well. The new V-cymbals may help in this area. They're fairly new and I don't recall seeing anything about improved noise/vibration in this area. You definitely need some padding and a carpet at a minimum.

The kick problem is not unique to V's so no matter what you buy, you will still have to deal with it.
    Kit Pic 1 Kit Pic 2 Kit Pic 3... And FOR SALE I have: 3 PD-9's, MDS-10 purple rack w/cables/pad and cym mounts. See classified posts for details or PM me.

Comment

Hi,

I've been practicing in an apartment (top floor) for some time. I use (not including the padding and carpeting in the apartment) padding and carpeting alternating for 3 layers each, set my drums on top of them and am ready to go. I purchased the best padding and inexpensive carpet. I use the KD-80 for my bass drum. I have never had a complaint, but also never play past 10 pm.

Comment

Hello DC I practiced with my V's for several years on the top floor of my apartment with out any complaints (except from my cat ). I didn't add any extra padding except for the floor carpeting but I too also quit playing at 10:00 pm. My apartments that I lived in was pretty well made (as far as apartments go) so there wasn't as much problem with noise anyway.

Take care and welcome to the Madness

Comment

Originally posted by DCFrank:
          Is normal playing, striking the heads, enough to get complaints? How about the pounding of the pedal?
          As mentioned, a search will give you quite a bit on the subject, but in general, the pads present little noise (mesh pads being among the quietest). Your bass pedal(s) can be a problem, particularly the inverted kind, and the harder the floor, the bigger the issue. A little creative padding between you and the floor can eliminate the problem and make you more than reasonably "stealth mode". I can play mine without hesitation (using headphones) with my one year old son asleep in the next room.

(Rim shots can be slightly more audible than hitting the pads too, but you should find that nothing is much louder than some serious finger drumming on a desk for instance. Just watch the kick pedal isn't directing beats right into hard floor.)

Comment

The only problem I've had in my apartment is with my downstairs neighbor. Vibration through the rack from hitting the drums, and especially from the kick and hi-hat pedals, makes his light fixtures shake like crazy. Fortunately, I work days and he works nights, so I just play when he's not home. However, plenty of padding should alleviate vibration problems.

The pads can be noisier than some people admit, yet I don't think they would be bothersome unless your building has paper-thin walls.

If you can place your kit in a room that has no neighbors adjacent, and if you have no one living below you, you are in perfect shape. Otherwise, with just a little effort, you'll still be able to enjoy playing most hours of the day or night. Several people have posted good advice on this topic here before, including one guy who made a drum riser with old tires as a base. Nutty as it sounds, he was very pleased with it, and what the hell, I'm buying new tires next week, so I may just give it a try.

Last but not least: talk to your neighbors. They're more likely to be tolerant and forgiving if you approach them with a little friendliness and consideration.

--K-Chuck

Comment

thanks to everyone for the really good advice. I'll have to check out the search function

Frank

Comment

Working...
              X