Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our vBulletin Talk section for answers to vBulletin related FAQs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

good price on a v-custom set

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• good price on a v-custom set

I have the opportunity to get a v-custom set for $2000. The kd-80 doesn't come with it, instead he has a DW electronic pedal. The snare pad has been upgraded to a pd-120. Is this a good price? I was wanting a v-session, but this looks like a way to get me drumming again for not much money. Please advise. The thing I like is that I can build mesh head 10 and 12" toms and sell the pd-80's on ebay.

How old is the set?

Comment

has only been played a few times...bought it for a theatre gig...people liked the acoustics better.

Comment

One thing to consider is the feel of the kick trigger. The DW trigger (I'm assuming it's an E1-P) is similar to Roland's KD-7 in that it uses an inverted beater. The KD-80 on the other hand, is an upright pad that has a mesh head and can accommodate a double pedal. I'm not saying that one is better than the other, but you should try out both styles before making a decision. Also, DW discontinued making that pedal many years ago so I would assume that the one with this kit is at least 5 or 6 years old.

Since you plan on building your own pads and selling the PD-80s, I'm wondering if you've compared the cost of this used set with one you put together piece by piece? You can get a new TD-8 for under $700 and depending on the cost of your homemade pads and other components you want (cymbal pads, rack), it may be cheaper and less of a hassle to piece together a kit.

Roland TD-12, Pearl DRX-1 tom and snare pads, Roland PD-8 pads for cymbals, DW pedals and stands, Pearl and Gibraltar hardware

Comment

Hey animal;

I'm considering building my own mesh pads. Not sure where to start. Any suggestions?

DJourg

Comment

I have priced it to build... the biggest thing is getting the pd-120. I can make toms all day long, but the snare is the heart of the kit. Would much rather have the pd-120 and build toms as I get extra money here and there. It was going to cost over $3500 buying a rack, lugs, shells, heads, brain, cymbal pads, etc...

DJourg, Buy you some old toms or shells in sizes 8", 10" or 12". You can cut the shells in half and get 2 drums from one tom. Example would be an 8"x12" tom cut in half to make 2 4"x12" floor toms. I got an 8"x12" off ebay for $40.

Follow the instructions at http://members.aol.com/acoustictrigger/intro.html for building the triggers.

buy you some mesh heads from a Roland dealer.

Get some hardware to mount the drums.

If you want to match the roland lugs, goto http://www.leecustom.com/drum.shells.htm and get the bravo lugs.

You can cover the drums with contact paper or vinyl drum covering. I used 10 mil clear mylar sheets. I painted the inside and spray-glued the plastic to the shell. The mylar is facing out, so it forms a clear coat on the shell and protects the paint from scratching and chipping.

Comment

Sure to turn into a long-term project...I want to make some 8" mesh pads and put them in a multi-pad configuration....mount them on a wood plank or something. Anyway, I'll check into your suggestions. Thanks.

DJourg

Comment

I am actually thinking about building some octobans if Jim can make 6" heads.

Comment

That would be even better than 8. If he does, let us know.

Comment

Working...
                  X