Announcement

Collapse

Lounge Posting Guidelines

E-DRUMMING DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST PRODUCT OR TECHNICAL QUESTIONS!

Having issues? Please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

See more
See less

K2000VPR

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• K2000VPR

Well I finally made a decision, I just bought a Kurzweil K2000vpr. It's one of the most versatile machines out there, still, and the support is unbelievable, both from the company and individual user sites. I got caught up in the next new module craze that I swore I never would do again. My reaction to it was to buy an old stanby that has never gone out of style. This machine is used by movie studio's and the US Navy for sonar applications if you can believe it. Some things never go out of style, like a great sports car, or a pretty girl.
    Drumkat Turbo 4.5, Emulator X3, Superior 2.1, Roland Fantom XR, DTXtreme III, SPD-20 etc.......

Can you plug your pads into it? How does it work as a drum module? You always have something new to add to the mix, interesting unit. Never heard of the unit and it sounds like an expensive one to buy. Because it is not a drum module, does it machine gun, and could you posts some MP-3's of it? Are sampler's the way to go as opposed to E Drum modules? sorry for all the question but you got my curiosity peaked. Could you supply some info about it? Thanks!

Comment

I got it at Musician's Friend for $799, the original list price was $3100, they have been discontinued but are still available from various stores as are the Rom Blocks and Daughter boards. They take 30 pin simms that are getting hard to find. This is not a machine for everyone, it's alot of work to program, but you can put any sound you want into it and the sound quality is unbelievable, 32 bit internal processing 18 bit Dac's 24 bit effects processor. It has a full blown 32 track sequencer, 8 outs, sampling is an option, not included. No pad inputs, I use a Drumkat Turbo with pads from various manufacturers. Here's a great site for this machine http://www.hyperindex.com/k2/k_drums.htm Like I said, it's not for everyone, but I'm nuts, so there you go.

[This message has been edited by jrcel (edited May 20, 2001).]
      Drumkat Turbo 4.5, Emulator X3, Superior 2.1, Roland Fantom XR, DTXtreme III, SPD-20 etc.......

Comment

Jrcel, how does it play, does it machine gun as some modules do? Sounds like a rig worth looking into. A TMI midi interface should work with it. I used a TMI midi interface to access sounds in a Roland TR-505 some years ago. sounds like an interesting unit for sure.

Comment

To tell the truth, I don't have it in hand yet, I ordered it on Friday. But any electronic sound source will do a little of that no matter how good it is. Let me spend a while with it and I'll re-post on this thread to let you know how it's going.

Comment

I've had a K2000 sampler since 93, and it's a wonderful, versatile, POWERFUL machine. It's MUCH more than most drummers would ever need, in fact, it's really not aimed at them at all. After almost 8 years working with it, I've been able to do everything I need, and I dare say I still know only about 5% of what it's capable of.

Unless you're already familiar with samplers of the 90s, you will need someone to walk you through it initially. Trying to learn from the manual is NOT the way to go (at least on the older K2000!)

re: sampler vs module... absolutely a sampler is the way to go! A drum module is fine, but you're limited as to sounds, and they become dated very quickly. Also, I don't know of a module that will sample, or play samples on its own. Soon perhaps, and hopefully with drummers in mind. A sampler will do everything a module will do (although you need to get a pad-midi trigger interface) and MUCH MORE. Most importantly, you can create your own samples & loops on the computer, and import them to the Kurz which will read the .wav files and convert them. You'll have unlimited versatilty and growth with a sampler, whereas a module will eventually wind up on the same eBay auction as your old Yamaha RX-11, and you'll be lucky to get $50 for both.

Enjoy jrcel!

Bermuda

Comment

[QUOTE]Originally posted by bermuda:
              Also, I don't know of a module that will sample, or play samples on its own.

ddrum & dmpro do

------------------
              szvook
              Studio

Comment

Originally posted by bermuda:

re: sampler vs module... absolutely a sampler is the way to go! A drum module is fine, but you're limited as to sounds, and they become dated very quickly.
                I think that is a matter of personal taste. I have a ddrum4 brain as well as a sampler, but the ddrum sounds are so good I rarely use my sampler.

Also, I don't know of a module that will sample, or play samples on its own. Soon perhaps, and hopefully with drummers in mind.
                The ddrum3 from I believe 1993 had a sampling option. In this machine you can assign pressure sensing, posional sensing or velocity to very much parameters or different samples. If we don't take cymbals in account, the ddrum3 seems the ultimate drum module to me.

The ddrum4 brain has the ability to play your own samples, you can dump them into your ddrum4 as a standard midi sample dump. Unfortunately you can not edit all the advanced settings for that sample such as layering, positonal sensing etc.
                Also you can download the ddrum4 megakits, these are sampled kits from people like Simon Philips(his kit will be available soon), Kenny Aronoff and others.

Also the new Yamaha DTXtreme plays back your own sounds.
                Music was my first love...

Comment

DOH! Forgot about the ddrum.

Still, the Kurz will give the user a LOT more control over sounds.

Bermuda

Comment

Don't forget the Simmons SDX had very good sampling features way back in 1987, and still to this day smokes the Ddrum 3, TD-10, DTXtreme and what else is out there when it comes to positional and velocity sensing, Zone Intelligence, they called it back then.

Stu
                    "Fry that sound effect, Moriarty, we're having it for breakfast"

Comment

Ah yes, I recall the SDX but never had a chance to work with it. I doubt that the sampling rate was up to par in terms of cymbals though... if it was 87, it probably was 12-bit. Definitely advanced for its time, and expensive, too - $8-10,000! Can't imagine how little ram it must have had... a meg perhaps? My old Akai S900 only had 328k and wasn't upgradeable. No wonder producers had banks of them in the studio!!

I wonder what that Simmons gets on eBay these days?

If you look at a SIMMONS pad the wrong way, it say SNOWWIS. hahahaha

Bermuda

Comment

My buddy coped a SDX (kit 14)in 87, and it cost him 16,000$(fully loaded)

Comment

a SDX goes for about 3,000-3,500$

Comment

The Simmons SDX was 16 bit @ 44.1 khz. Sampling was extra as was sequencing and it was the size of a small house, and VERY expensive. The drummer from Tool uses one. It was also the very first edrum product to have full positional sensing on all 16 pad inputs using FSR pad technology. It's still way ahead of it's time, being true positional sensing not a DSP algorythmn as Roland Vdrums use.

[This message has been edited by jrcel (edited May 21, 2001).]

Comment

Originally posted by bermuda:
                              Ah yes, I recall the SDX but never had a chance to work with it. I doubt that the sampling rate was up to par in terms of cymbals though... if it was 87, it probably was 12-bit. Definitely advanced for its time, and expensive, too - $8-10,000! Can't imagine how little ram it must have had... a meg perhaps? My old Akai S900 only had 328k and wasn't upgradeable. No wonder producers had banks of them in the studio!!

I wonder what that Simmons gets on eBay these days?

If you look at a SIMMONS pad the wrong way, it say SNOWWIS. hahahaha

Bermuda
                              Bermuda, you rascal you! SNOWWIS my ass! I still love the guys who can't read what's on the pads, and spell it Symmonds!
                              As far as I remember you could upgrade the SDX to a whopping 8 megs of Ram, which was budget-friendly, after all, after shelling out 14, 15 grand for a drum system you don't really want to go out spending close to $7 - 800 for a solitary 4MB Ram module.... I remember for the whole shebang I paid about 12.000 quid. I had a lot more money than common sense back then, now it's the other way around
                              God, all the nostalgia is making me teary-eyed.

Stu

P.S. How's Al?

"Fry that sound effect, Moriarty, we're having it for breakfast"

Comment

Working...
                              X