Announcement

Collapse

Lounge Posting Guidelines

E-DRUMMING DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST PRODUCT OR TECHNICAL QUESTIONS!

Having issues? Please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

See more
See less

Vdrum ignorance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vdrum ignorance

Hi,

I know next to nothing about Vdrums. My only experience is, of course, banging away at the store.

With that said, the time has come where I can no longer play my acoustic kit since I am moving. Fortunately, my college graduation gifts will enable me to get an electronic kit.

I have two questions that I would love to be answered by those much more knowledgable than me on this topic.

1) I have read some of this message board and other various sites. However, I haven't found any sort of definitive or beginner-level information to read concerning electronic kits and electronic capabilities in general. In this context, can anyone recommend some good online reading?

2) In addition to practicing, my goal for the electronic kit is to be able to have my friend send me bass lines that he records on his Digital Performer program for Powerbook and then for me to be able to listen and record drum tracks to go along with his bass lines and send them back to him. I claim full ignorance on how I can achieve this. So, what equipment will enable me to do this.

I am looking to spend between $2,000-$2,700 I suppose for now. I will have additional money in the future, if expandability figures into any recommendations. As of now, I do not plan to use an electronic kit for gigs.

I am new to this board and am grateful for what I have learned so far. I hope I can take advantage of some of your expertise.

Peace.

Justin.

The best place for learning anything you want to know is right here. If you have a specific question, then do a search for some keywords, and if you don't pull anything up, just ask.

The people here, many of whom I respect and admire, are more than forthcoming about any information you'll need, and will have no problem telling you what is good and what sucks about any given product. I've talked with people both here and in email about various things, and I truly belive that there's no better place for e-drum info, Roland or otherwise.

If you have the same setup as your friend, you can connect your powerbook into your module and play along, or if not, just take whatever media he gives you (CD, tape, etc.) and plug it into the "Line In" on your module. That will allow you to play along with your friends recordings.

As for recording, we'll need some more info, mainly what type of recording device you'll be using. Regardless if it's a computer, a tape player, or some kind of proprietary digital or analog music recorder, recording is most likely no more than a little knowledge and a few wires/adapters away.

Welcome aboard.

BINARY

Comment

Thanks for your reply, Binary.

As of right now, I do not have any other recording device. My laptop is a recording option (w/ software), but it is not a powerbook.

Would not the V-customs with the TD-8 allow me to do so. Or what would potential options be for me to do the recording?

Thanks again for your help.

Justin.

Comment

Hey, Justin

Anything that will record audio is an option.

TD-8 is fine, just take whatever you want to record into and plug the output on the TD-8 into the input on the recording device.
        It's immeasurably tit to do.

Now, if you want to do some quality recording, you need to spend some time on your setup and decide how you want to do everything. Depending on the power of your computer, you could do some really nice stuff on that.

If you're just looking for scratch tracks, anything that will record via an outside source will work.

BINARY

Comment

Bibimbapus,

I second Binary's opinion that the best source of information about V-drums is this message board. Although this is only my second post, I found this site an invaluable aid in planning my purchase of a V-Custom kit, which I've had for about a week now. Use the search feature and you can glean all kinds of knowledge and opinion on everything from the basics to expanded kits and advanced setups. Learning to get the most out of your kit, and discussing its limitations, only helps you as a player. Thanks, guys, 'n' gals, (if there are any 'round here) for contributing to these boards. Even you, Puttnvr. ;>)

If you have $2,000-$2,700, you should be able to get at least a used V-Pro, or a new V-Custom kit with some extras. It depends on your needs and goals. I'm a hobbyist, albeit a dedicated one, living in a small apartment, so a V-Custom kit suits me well. (My downstairs neighbor would disagree.) You can find the V-Custom kit for around $2100-$2200 or better. The rack is lightweight and sturdy, although some people dislike it and upgrade to Gibraltar or other rack/clamps. With the extra money you have, you could buy more pads or different e-cymbals. Or just look for a screamin' deal on some V-Pros.

As for digital recording, I'm ignorant in that area, but I look forward to doing some hard-disk recording and editing using Pro Tools Free ($0) and QuickTime Pro ($30).

Best wishes to ye.

--K-Chuck

[This message has been edited by K-Chuck (edited May 16, 2001).]

Comment

Working...
          X