Announcement

Collapse

Lounge Posting Guidelines

E-DRUMMING DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST PRODUCT OR TECHNICAL QUESTIONS!

Having issues? Please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

See more
See less

How do you use earplugs...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do you use earplugs...

I've seen more and more professional drummers use ear protection during their shows, ie ear plugs. I have just started playing at my new church's praise band's really nice acoustic Yamaha drums and they seem to like very loud crashes and hits. I bought some ear plugs and the comments on the box are that it can allow vocal sounds to come thru, or at least some while cutting out the rest. So I tried it, and didnt seem to be able to hear anything, and before the actual "performance" I took them off in case I couldn't hear the rest of the band.

Is playing with earplugs something you can/should get used to? How did you people do it? Or did you get ear plugs with less noise reduction so you could hear more?

Fon
    Fon.

TD8 with PD7's, 2 KD7's (From previous TD7)
    Tama Rockstar with mix of Sabian, Zildjian and Paiste.

Fon,

When I used to play acoustics (sniff) I used earplugs. I had some of those foam things that you screw up and insert. They cut out a LOT of noise. It kind of made the drums sound unlike drums but because it removed all the overtones and general noise I could hear the exact hits more accurately. I think it helped my drumming get much more precise.

The downside is that my beautiful cymbals sounded like cheap metal plates and my bass drum sounded like a car door closing. Still, it helped reduce tinnitus.

When I jammed with my friends and used these plugs they complained that I was playing way too loud, so maybe it's best not to use them when you gig.

I tried some very fancy rubber plugs shaped to fit the ear. (They cost about 15 quid I think). They were complete bollocks. It was like not wearing anything at all.

Don't know if that helps at all.

Alex.

Comment

Do you really mean ear-plugs or do you mean in-ear monitors? Many drummers use them and perhaps you think they are ear-plugs.
      Robert

Comment

Alex,
        Interesting comments. But when you jammed with your friends could you hear them?

Putt,
        Greg Bissonette uses ear-plugs(protection),
        so does Akira Jimbo. E-drummers probably don't need them. Hey! One more benefit of e-drums. Monitor softer, House loud!

Fon.
        Fon.

Comment

Originally posted by R27789:
          Alex,
          Interesting comments. But when you jammed with your friends could you hear them?

Fon.
          Since when have you ever had a problem with a guitar player being too quiet?

Comment

Originally posted by R27789:
            One more benefit of e-drums. Monitor softer, House loud!
            ... the audience becomes deaf. People run away > No music business anymore > No mucisians > No e-drums.

I don't think this is an advantage. When I played the Vdrums I always crancked up the volume very much. Unfortunately the ddrums have a weak headphone output, but for my ears it's fortunately.

So, this has nothing to do with e-drums or acoustic drums, but only with the volume on which you play.
            Robert

Comment

Ok !! ok!! whatever!

:|

Fon.

Comment

Working...
              X