Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our vBulletin Talk section for answers to vBulletin related FAQs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do you use earplugs...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do you use earplugs...

I've seen more and more professional drummers use ear protection during their shows, ie ear plugs. I have just started playing at my new church's praise band's really nice acoustic Yamaha drums and they seem to like very loud crashes and hits. I bought some ear plugs and the comments on the box are that it can allow vocal sounds to come thru, or at least some while cutting out the rest. So I tried it, and didnt seem to be able to hear anything, and before the actual "performance" I took them off in case I couldn't hear the rest of the band.

Is playing with earplugs something you can/should get used to? How did you people do it? Or did you get ear plugs with less noise reduction so you could hear more?

Fon
    Fon.

TD8 with PD7's, 2 KD7's (From previous TD7)
    Tama Rockstar with mix of Sabian, Zildjian and Paiste.

Fon,

When I used to play acoustics (sniff) I used earplugs. I had some of those foam things that you screw up and insert. They cut out a LOT of noise. It kind of made the drums sound unlike drums but because it removed all the overtones and general noise I could hear the exact hits more accurately. I think it helped my drumming get much more precise.

The downside is that my beautiful cymbals sounded like cheap metal plates and my bass drum sounded like a car door closing. Still, it helped reduce tinnitus.

When I jammed with my friends and used these plugs they complained that I was playing way too loud, so maybe it's best not to use them when you gig.

I tried some very fancy rubber plugs shaped to fit the ear. (They cost about 15 quid I think). They were complete bollocks. It was like not wearing anything at all.

Don't know if that helps at all.

Alex.

Comment

Do you really mean ear-plugs or do you mean in-ear monitors? Many drummers use them and perhaps you think they are ear-plugs.
      Robert

Comment

Alex,
        Interesting comments. But when you jammed with your friends could you hear them?

Putt,
        Greg Bissonette uses ear-plugs(protection),
        so does Akira Jimbo. E-drummers probably don't need them. Hey! One more benefit of e-drums. Monitor softer, House loud!

Fon.
        Fon.

Comment

Originally posted by R27789:
          Alex,
          Interesting comments. But when you jammed with your friends could you hear them?

Fon.
          Since when have you ever had a problem with a guitar player being too quiet?

Comment

Originally posted by R27789:
            One more benefit of e-drums. Monitor softer, House loud!
            ... the audience becomes deaf. People run away > No music business anymore > No mucisians > No e-drums.

I don't think this is an advantage. When I played the Vdrums I always crancked up the volume very much. Unfortunately the ddrums have a weak headphone output, but for my ears it's fortunately.

So, this has nothing to do with e-drums or acoustic drums, but only with the volume on which you play.
            Robert

Comment

Ok !! ok!! whatever!

:|

Fon.

Comment

Working...
              X