Announcement

Collapse

Lounge Posting Guidelines

E-DRUMMING DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST PRODUCT OR TECHNICAL QUESTIONS!

Having issues? Please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

See more
See less

So how / why did you get into Drumming?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So how / why did you get into Drumming?

I got my first drum kit when I was 4 y.o. It was an old John Grey and Sons 'Autocrat' (from the 50's) that my father had done up for me.

From that age I was encouraged (nor forced) to drum. My father played from a young age also, recording his first album at 16, playing most styles over the years.

His Father (my grandfather) played (still does at 80+) Big Band & Trad Jazz - he has given me some inspiration: seeing the enjoyment he still gets from playing.

HIS father (my Great Grandfather) was a pro drummer (percussionist as they were known then) - We have a picture of him playing...bass drum on a rack at a slight angle off vertical, with the side drum angled towards it, a couple of Timps etc.... Prior to him, I don't know.

So I'm at least the 4th generation of drummer in our family (my younger brother also plays very well - just recorded his first CD with a Jazz Ensamble). I was never pushed into drumming, I guess my father / grandfather knew that I 'had it in me' and that some day I would come around, and make my way to it. I didn't play a great deal (once per month or so)until I was 16 or so when I became more involved. I'm now 27.

Hey, it's funny - last night me and my father rolled up to audition for the same gig!! and being honest, my father played much better, but I don't think either of us will get involved - the other guys were way too serious.

Anyway, there's enough of my story - sorry to rattle on. You could say that I was born with sticks in my hands (TG!) - (Ouch! a little rough on my mother!).

I'm interested to hear how other's got into drumming, and whether it is common to drum if it's 'in the family'?

Thanks for reading
    Andy
    TD-20, Pair of JBL-Eon15 G2's & Sub

Check out the demo tracks to hear my V's at

http://www.thebrokenangelband.co.uk/

I always liked banging on things in rhythm, so the rest was elementary. Although both of my uncles are professional violinists and tried to get me to go to music schools at an early age, they gave up when I would use their violin cases as drum pads and bang on top of them with wooden spoons.

------------------
    szvook

[This message has been edited by szvook (edited April 05, 2001).]
    Studio

Comment

My best friend's uncle was big on drumming, so my best friend had a little kit that we'd jam around on, wondering in awe how Lars played the middle of "One" (*COUGH*COUGH*drumloops*COUGH*COUGH). That was when I was like 9 or so, so in 7th grade I picked up a "beginner kit" with some "beginner cymbals." Lo and behold, here I am, 7 years later. Jeez, I can't believe it's been that long already...

------------------
      My drums, y'all...
      "Get out there and rock...
      and roll the bones...
      GET BUSY!"
      substrike.com for a better tomorrow - today!
      My Drums
      Tama Rockstar Acoustics, Zildjian and Wuhan Cymbals, Roland SPD-20, Roland PM-16, Akai S2000 w/Iomega 250 SCSI Zip, 2 Pintech Silentech Pads (one single zone, one dual zone), Kat F.A.T. Pedal, Pintech K3, Simmons pads.

Comment

My twin sister and I started playing at the same time, after seeing Louie Bellson on Roy Castle's TV show in England sometime in the late '70s. We were very impressable 8 year olds at that time, and needless to say our parents weren't pleased at all, they had hoped hat the desire to make music had left the family. My Great-great-Grandfather was related to the composer Gustav Holst, my Great-Grandfather was first pianist with both the Royal Symphony Orchestra and the BBC Orchestra, where my Grandfather was an Oboist and enthusiastic swing saxophonist and partially responsible for the BBC starting a Big Band. We were kind of predestined for a musical career of some kind or other.
        So our parents made us share a beat up old Premier Olympic set, and off we went down our stoney paths and the eternal search for a good bass player.

Stu
        "Fry that sound effect, Moriarty, we're having it for breakfast"

Comment

According to my parents, I was born drumming. My grandparents gave me a small set when I was 5 or 6. Before that I was beating on anything I could find. Started playing at church at 9, I'm 16 now. I'm currently 1 of 3 drummers at my church. Never really took lessons, I guess its just God given talent.

Raffy85

Comment

I played in a marching band already at the age of 7 years or so. When I was 14 years old I bought my first drumkit (Vdrums ) and used it in (a) the brass orchestra in which I became the drummer and (b) a local cover band.

I was influenced by Peter Criss from KISS (don't laugh guys) and Neil Peart (he.. he..). Ever since then nothing changed. Played in all kind of prog rock bands and played with large and small acoustic kits, roto toms etc. Changed to e-drums in the mid 1980s and the rest you all know...
            Robert

Comment

How?
              -------
              After I learned to walk, my parents would haul me along everytime they went ballroom dancing. The orchestras were big-band types and the music was called swing. According to them, and a few short vivid flashbacks, I was usually located (after consistently wandering off) sitting near the drummer, and, being the cute tyke that I was (are), the drummer would let me wail away during intermissions. Many many years later, I was 11 or 12, the 1st time I saw Ringo. That weekend Dad and I went to Sears and we came home with my 1st sparkly red 3-peice w/single bassdrum mounted cymbal.

Why?
              -----
              I like to hit things (Harold, come here).

-~

Comment

How?

My Pastor's wife came up to me after a song service and asked, "Have you ever considered playing the drums?", I said, "No". I was 10. A week later the drummer at my church took me to his house, showed me how to hold sticks, put on a record and shut the door for 3 years... when he came back I could rip it up. I'm 27 now.

Why?

Cause I can't stop. I tried... it hurt.

------------------
                \oo/_ _\oo/

[This message has been edited by rus (edited April 06, 2001).]
                \oo/_ :mad: _\oo/

Comment

I didn't have a choice. My uncle, ummm, Buddy, yeah, that right Uncle Buddy, why he, he made me do it. Yeah, Uncle Buddy Rich. Yeah, Rich, that't the ticket. Anyways, he would ehhh, ummm, threaten me, Yeah, yeah, that't it. I had no choice I tell ya. He'd beat me to a pulp doing tripple flam parradiddles on my head. What's a guy to do? I had to play. Nows I can't stop. It's drivin me crazy. Drums, Drum, Drums all the time. Will it ever end? ... I hope not. That's my story and I'm stickin to it.
                  Kit Pic 1 Kit Pic 2 Kit Pic 3... And FOR SALE I have: 3 PD-9's, MDS-10 purple rack w/cables/pad and cym mounts. See classified posts for details or PM me.

Comment

I seem to have a lot in common with many of you.

I come from a pretty musical family. Great Grandpa played drums professionaly, his wife played the organ. My Grandmother sang. My mom played drums in high school, and became an incredible piano talent.

I took up the drums in 6th grade. Played all though high school. Majored in music at the University of Utah for 2 years, before dropping out to persue a "real" career.

After about 8 years off, I picked it up again just a few weeks ago.

Influences as a kid:

1. Peter Criss
                    2. Jerry Mercer (April Wine)
                    3. Neil Peart

------------------
                    Reverend Poppy
                    Reverend Poppy

Comment

You forgot to put a smilie after "real career"

-~

Comment

i-1966-67, on the radio yummy-yummy (hell I was 6)gary lewis & the playboys (now I know thats hal blaine on drums).On TV the beatles and monkiees.I strumed my dasie air gun,other kid banged on a large can other kids sang, aroud this time my mom started playing folk guitar I WANTED TO PLAY.Spent the next few years looking at ma's sheet music.(funny dots)First hearing Cream's White Room (1969)I thought they must be from mars(hell I was only 8)
                        ii-1969-73 listening to:sabbath,early rod stuart,zep,iron butterfly,lots of top 40,early grand funk.1972 got a folk guitar,took lessons at school hated it quit.1973 listening to ELP,alice coopers' billon dollar babies changed my life.1974 saved for and got a cheep el.guitar and amp got nowhere. 6-11-74 the TV show In concert had cal.jam 1 sabbath, ELP,deep purple,Palmer did about a 20 min solo I called rich martin the next day to trade my git. for his drums.iii-I studyed with jim pickeryzk,marshall thompson (smitty smith studyed with him)others, played with burton greene, lin halliday,franz jackson,paul bascom,jim baker. Ive made 13 recordings so far.I had v-drums 1 year.

Comment

i-1966-67, on the radio yummy-yummy (hell I was 6)gary lewis & the playboys (now I know thats hal blaine on drums).On TV the beatles and monkiees.I strumed my dasie air gun,other kid banged on a large can other kids sang, aroud this time my mom started playing folk guitar I WANTED TO PLAY.Spent the next few years looking at ma's sheet music.(funny dots)First hearing Cream's White Room (1969)I thought they must be from mars(hell I was only 8)
                          ii-1969-73 listening to:sabbath,early rod stuart,zep,iron butterfly,lots of top 40,early grand funk.1972 got a folk guitar,took lessons at school hated it quit.1973 listening to ELP,alice coopers' billon dollar babies changed my life.1974 saved for and got a cheep el.guitar and amp got nowhere. 6-11-74 the TV show In concert had cal.jam 1 sabbath, ELP,deep purple,Palmer did about a 20 min solo I called rich martin the next day to trade my git. for his drums.iii-I studyed with jim pickeryzk,marshall thompson (smitty smith studyed with him)others, played with burton greene, lin halliday,franz jackson,paul bascom,jim baker. Ive made 13 recordings so far.I had v-drums 1 year.

Comment

I was making techno music a few years ago and wanted to do something more with the rhythms. I thought of learning how to drum(something I'd always wanted I think) and bought a kit with an Alesis D4 and Roland PD-11/21/31's(grrrrrrrrrrr). I got really sick of that kit, bought myself a Sonor acoustic kit ( ) and then really got into drumming.Last year I sold the Roland/Alesis kit and bought ddrum stuff. I just like playing acoustic and electronical

Since I got into drumming I kinda stopped making techno and I'm mostly listening to rock, metal or pop music...
                            Music was my first love...

Comment

My dad had a drum kit and played quite regularly (still does) so I just picked it up.

Played left handed initially because my dad is a lefty till one day he told me to flip the drum kit around. Since that time (age 13 or earlier) I have been a right handed player.

I guess now I am marginally ambidextrous due to my double bass drumming and stick dropping!

Check out my site!

Kelly Mercer
                              Halifax, Nova Scotia
                              Canada

My Youtube Channel!
                              http://www.youtube.com/user/VirtualMP3Studio

My "home studio" webcam!
                              http://virtualmp3studio.ww.com/

Comment

Working...
                              X