Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Did Roland snub us?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Did Roland snub us?

So I’m looking through the latest issue of the Roland User’s Group Magazine.(Spring 2001 Vol# 19/1) There is a great article on Pat Mastelotto and his hybrid V-Drum, acoustic, handsonic kit that he uses with King Crimson. As I am cruising through the rest of the propaganda, I notice a page of links described as, "unofficial websites that are neither sponsored by or affiliated with Roland or BOSS, but may help you get more out of using and enjoying your Roland and BOSS gear." I scanned the list and you guessed it, V-Drums.com is not on the list. I guess we are not helpful enough or there is too much Roland bashing, or (and I doubt this) they just don’t know about us.

No respect I tell ya. No respect!

Paul,

You mean, there is an actual Roland users group magazine?! Get outta here! No joke?! So, name some of them links for us. Thnx

-Marc.

Comment

Arriguy, I was at a drum show about three weeks ago and was speaking with Steve Fisher and another roland rep.. One of the reps reffered another person standing with us to vdrums.com. Steve Fisher said it was an ok site but some of the people were a little rabid sometimes. Needless to say I was to big a chicken to stand up and admit that I was one of the rabid dogs. So sombody there knows we're out here.

Comment

Someone posted a link not too long ago where there was an interview with Fisher. He mentioned Vdrums.com in the interview. There were no negative comments. I have been reading posts from this site since day one and have probably read ~80% of them. There have been times when the bashing has been a bit over the top. I'd say they were exercising caution. It is more of a love/hate kind of relationship and is subject to change with the wind.
        Kit Pic 1 Kit Pic 2 Kit Pic 3... And FOR SALE I have: 3 PD-9's, MDS-10 purple rack w/cables/pad and cym mounts. See classified posts for details or PM me.

Comment

Marc,
          Here's the links that are mentioned in the latest user's group magazine from Roland. It seems to me that if Roland did things right the first time they wouldn't have to be concerned about the negative posts on this site, and that's coming from someone who is going to purchase some v-drums in the very near future.
          www.5080land.com www.lakewoodsoftware.com/xv-5080 http://home.tiscalinet.be/p_voes/vg-88/home.html
          Guitar Mania www.digevent.com/events/consumer/music/guitar_mania/

Drum Beat www.digevent.com/events/consumer/music/drumbeat/

Keyboard Kaleidoscope www.digevent.com/events/consumer/music/keyboard/

James

Comment

I spoke with Steve Fisher at the Sydney E-Drum Expo 3 weeks ago. I specifically asked him whether he came here to www.vdrums.com - his reply was "Yes, I go there all the time".

He commented tho the effect that he thought this was an excellent resource, with many ideas. He said that as much as he'd like to input, he feels as though he'd be "eaten alive".

It's a shame that we can't have an official Roland line on some issues, especially regarding the technical limitations of some of the more complex functionality; However, some of you guys out there are able to answer, quite concisely, even the most obscure questions. I guess we're okay!

Hey Steve, how about comining in and offering input where you feel fit? (or at least make online manuals IN ENGLISH available for us to reference!

I don't think the username 'The Fish' has been used as yet ...

A little off thread - sorry.
            Andy
            TD-20, Pair of JBL-Eon15 G2's & Sub

Check out the demo tracks to hear my V's at

http://www.thebrokenangelband.co.uk/

Comment

Roland has mentioned Vdrums.com in past issues of Users Group. It is how I found this site.

Comment

I think Fisher is better staying the hell of this site’s forum. The last thing Roland needs is feedback from a rep that would have a new a-hole ripped by us from this forum. He would not have the balls to convey our feeling about Roland and their products back to Roland.

It’s just my .02 cents, plus I only use the TD-8 Roland module and no other products made by Roland – and never will.

We are “a little rabid sometimes”, I believe was the statement from Mr. Fisher. I for one do not think there is anything “little” about us and I would like to meet Mr. Fisher and point out how narrow-minded I think Roland is, along with Mr. Fisher.

------------------
                szvook
                Studio

Comment

Originally posted by cliff:
                  Roland has mentioned Vdrums.com in past issues of Users Group. It is how I found this site.
                  I can't remember how I found this site but I'm glad i did, also I at first thought it WAS a roland site.I am new here but have learned a great deal and will be a regular for sure.
                  Jeff

The original Gig Pig.

Comment

I think Fisher is better staying the hell of this site’s forum. The last thing Roland needs is feedback from a rep that would have a new a-hole ripped by us from this forum. He would not have the balls to convey our feeling about Roland and their products back to Roland.

It’s just my .02 cents, plus I only use the TD-8 Roland module and no other products made by Roland – and never will !!!!!!!!!!!!

We are “a little rabid sometimes”, I believe was the statement from Mr. Fisher. I for one do not think there is anything “little” about us and I would like to meet Mr. Fisher and point out how narrow-minded I think Roland is, along with Mr. Fisher.

------------------
                    szvook
                    Studio

Comment

I was talking to Mike Snyder tonight. I mentioned the forum and he new Eric by name. So yes they do lurk. Would be kind of dumb not to use the feedback from the actual users when developing a product, especially when it's free.

Comment

Hey Svook - I know you're just saying what you feel which is fair enough, but I can't help but think you might be in a minority about not wanting a Roland voice in this forum.

I only spoke to Steve for about five minutes, but he seems a really knowledgeable guy: he certainly knows the products inside out (not that you'd expect any less). Having watched him demo several of the Roland products, he's obviously a very competent player.

As far as people having a go at him: sure, there are those who might want to rip him to shreads, but there will be those who want to tap his knowledge, and perhaps ask why certain design decisions have been made. Okay, he personally might not be able to answer to the depth of Putt / feef / harlock et al. but he (or any Roland input) would certainly offer another angle.

As for reporting the thoughts of this Forum back to Roland - I'm certain that this is done on a daily basis (perhaps not by The Fish). As BtnkBndt pointed out, it's valuable info from users and potential users thats free: many companies pay $000's for such information.

You question the 'balls' of The Fish; and then say how you'd like to meet Roland to tell them what you think - give them a call and arrange to meet them, I'm sure that they'd love to hear what you have to say(or certainly give you an hour of their time).

Roland narrow minded eh? "I only use the TD-8 Roland module and no other products made by Roland – and never will". Surely that's a little hypocritical - who knows what Roland may bring out in the future, and whether you'll use it.

No product is perfect - but this forum serves as a melting pot of knowledge and for people to find answers: surely it wouldn't harm to have input from the product's manufacturer?

Okay . . now I feel better.
                        Andy
                        TD-20, Pair of JBL-Eon15 G2's & Sub

Check out the demo tracks to hear my V's at

http://www.thebrokenangelband.co.uk/

Comment

Originally posted by Marc.:
                          Paul,

You mean, there is an actual Roland users group magazine?! Get outta here! No joke?! So, name some of them links for us. Thnx

-Marc.
                          Yes, there is such a mag. The link question already got answered so here's some info so you can subscribe if you wanna. Call (323)890-3700 or write: Roland Users Group Magazine PO Box 910921 LA, CA 90091-0921. It's a free subscription and it's worth twice the price!

Comment

The few above posts made me laugh. It's obvious he/Roland would get ripped to shreds! Think about it. Why is Roland as successful as they are today? It ain't by making stupid or risky business decisions. They have a site maintained by someone else which specifically references their name. We answer almost anything you would want to know about them. In fact, we answer more in many cases since there are things like Shack Attack and unauthorized repairs, etc., which I don't think Roland would suggest in a million years. By not participating, they distance themselves often eliminating or reducing risk of looking like fools AND last but not least and Rolands personal favorite, we do it at no $cost$ to them.

People know they don't sanction this site and take a lot of what's said with a grain of salt. The moment they participate, that changes. It has the potential of becoming very ugly, sort of like a lone vegetarian trying to state his case before the beef producers convention.

Tell me again why they would want to participate. There is no need for them to do it.
                            Kit Pic 1 Kit Pic 2 Kit Pic 3... And FOR SALE I have: 3 PD-9's, MDS-10 purple rack w/cables/pad and cym mounts. See classified posts for details or PM me.

Comment

Those are good points Boingo, but I gotta think that these guys, Fish or whoever may be lurking, are already participating in an un-official capacity. Why can't Steve Fisher use the name Boingo? Or Arriguy? Or Feefer? It starts with F has 6 letters and ends with ER, hmmmmmm...

Comment

Working...
                              X