Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our vBulletin Talk section for answers to vBulletin related FAQs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

DTExtreme review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DTExtreme review

For jrcel and other yamaha fans, the new DTExtreme is reviewed in this months Modern Drummer. Danny Carey from Tool is on the cover. Happy reading.
    TD10ex

Originally posted by bz:
    For jrcel and other yamaha fans, the new DTExtreme is reviewed in this months Modern Drummer. Danny Carey from Tool is on the cover. Happy reading.
    Already read it, good review, albeit it sounds like the guy copied the sales flyer in some places. I did share one critisism of the review, the Yamaha HiHat tower sucks, and I mean sucks. The smaller pedal that comes with the DTXpress is MUCH better, tracks smoother, and feels nicer, too.
    Talking about DTXtreme, has anybody noticed some stores apparently too stupid to set a DTXtreme up, or are they doing that on purpose? I was at my local Sam Ash the other day, and the DTXtreme's tom pads were set up vertically, the Hihat pad was inaccessibly located underneath the rack turned upside down, the Hihat tower was two kits further down the room, and half the cables weren't plugged in. The Roland sets on the other hand were perfectly set up. When I asked the sales guy if I could sit down with the DTXtreme's manual for a while and really get into the beast he honesty told me "Don't bother, it sucks, man, get the Rolands instead." (I already have Rolands, I bought them from the exact same guy...). This place actually had the DTXtreme, GC had one set up, no cables and a big DO NOT TOUCH sign in front of it...
    Anyway, rant over, I got to explore the DTXtreme without his help anyway, it's a classy system, once you turn the headphone localizer effect on it's almost like someone switched on the BBE!
    VERY easy to use, extremely (no pun intended) intuitive, I found it very good to have the parameters easily accessible, the sound quality is fantastic, once you get into tweaking the samples really open up, and I couldn't find any cartoonish kits anywhere.
    Oh yeah, who was it who said they had a problem with the kick pad moving? I didn't notice that at all, it was as solid as the KD120.
    I'm seriously considering buying the DTXtreme and retiring my V-Pros... well, maybe not the brain...
    "Fry that sound effect, Moriarty, we're having it for breakfast"

Comment

As far as I know the DTXtreme only supports position sensing on the snare. So why not buy a DTXtreme module with a Snare pad and a Hihat controller and add that to your existing setup?
      Music was my first love...

Comment

Originally posted by MPCman:
        As far as I know the DTXtreme only supports position sensing on the snare. So why not buy a DTXtreme module with a Snare pad and a Hihat controller and add that to your existing setup?
        Well, I don't need position sensing on anything but the snare, but I do want to be able to trigger sounds from the rims of all drums, and that's where the DTXtreme has the V's beat, among other places. I'm also after the flexibility of Yamaha's sound layering functions. I also thought the pads felt a lot better than the Rolands, and don't get me started on how much sturdier the Yammie hardware looks to my Roland/Gibraltar rack....
        To be honest, when I checked out the V's before buying them, I was thinking they were cool sounding (and looking) drums, with the DTXtreme I kept thinking about incorporating even more sequences and loops into my playing and getting down to actually writing music with them. It just seemed the more flexible module of the two.
        I may even just buy the module and see how well the Yamaha brain/Roland pads combination works, I don't know yet. Anyone combined Yamaha modules with Roland pads here before?

Stu
        "Fry that sound effect, Moriarty, we're having it for breakfast"

Comment

For any one in the Dallas area, there is going to be a clinic on the Extremes by a guy named Russ Miller(I think that was his name). It is April 18th but I'm not sure of the time.

It will be at the Spring Valley location. Call them for more details.

------------------
          RonBon
          RonBon

Comment

Originally posted by mcconaghy:

I may even just buy the module and see how well the Yamaha brain/Roland pads combination works,

Stu
            Let us know if you do that. very curious!
            I would also like to know how the yamaha brain works with the hart pads.

Kurt

[This message has been edited by rudi-mint (edited April 18, 2001).]
            Kurt

Pearl drums converted with hart adc, roland kd7's, pd 120 for snare, various roland rubber pads, hart e cymbals and pads, td8, td6, 2 mackie srm450s and mackie sub. mackie sr 24-4 mixer........and always growing.

Comment

mcconaghy> that seems like a good idea
              Music was my first love...

Comment

Working...
              X