Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our vBulletin Talk section for answers to vBulletin related FAQs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

wrist problems...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wrist problems...

Originally posted by cliff in a discussion about v-cymbals:

There is a HUGE difference to hitting a stationary pad and one that sways with the same enertia as a real cymbal. Your wrist will thank you also.
    This has got me thinking... I've never had problems with my wrists. The PDs have never bugged me, neither has TIGHT kevlar heads on my snare on an old acoustic kit... am I the only one who doesn't suffer?

------------------
    \oo/_ _\oo/

[This message has been edited by rus (edited April 17, 2001).]
    \oo/_ :mad: _\oo/

I have never had wrist problems either. But it seems that many folks try to play the cymbal pads as if they were real cymbals. I play them as pads, hitting them deliberately to use their dynamic range, rather than whacking at them. And I also haven't had a problem going back and forth between vdrums and acoustics.

Comment

Originally posted by rus:
      ... am I the only one who doesn't suffer?
      No, you are not the only one. Many of us have made the adjustment. Many have not. The doc is right. Some people cannot adjust to these pads and end up injuring themselves. This is why the other pads and now Roland's new cymbals are becoming the rage. That being the case, I'll correct myself. Very few of us are making the adjustment.

-------------
      -~

Comment

I too have absolutely no problems with the PD's - certainly no wrist ache. I'd even go as far as to say, if anything my wrists ache less after long sessions: less work to do with the V's.
        Andy
        TD-20, Pair of JBL-Eon15 G2's & Sub

Check out the demo tracks to hear my V's at

http://www.thebrokenangelband.co.uk/

Comment

I dunno, sometimes after a heated jam I'm *more* tired than with acoustics, although not sore. That's because I can really hit the V's hard to my heart's content and not worry about volume. A little knob twist takes care of that nicely. $^)

Comment

No problems here. In the beginning I was having problems but found that came from PC keyboard/mouse use than drums. Seems I went on vacation from the computer for a week (but not drums) and the problem went away. For those that use a computer a significant amount of the time, you might want to look at things like proper posture, use of split keyboards, wrist supports, etc. Single most important fix for me was to put a padded block to support my wrist/forearm when using the mouse instead of letting my arm hang down over the edge of the table. Of course remembering you don't need to bash the crap out of the pads to get volume is a biggie too.
            Kit Pic 1 Kit Pic 2 Kit Pic 3... And FOR SALE I have: 3 PD-9's, MDS-10 purple rack w/cables/pad and cym mounts. See classified posts for details or PM me.

Comment

Boingo,

I found a mouse that you hold in your hand. Has one of those track balls you rotate with your thumb and the clicker is a hole you fire like a gun trigger. I used to get back aches from reaching for the mouse. Now I recline back, prop up my feet, cross my arms and surf away . I found being farther from the screen also helps the eyes.

Comment

Originally posted by BtnkBndt:
                Boingo,

I found a mouse that you hold in your hand. Has one of those track balls you rotate with your thumb and the clicker is a hole you fire like a gun trigger. I used to get back aches from reaching for the mouse. Now I recline back, prop up my feet, cross my arms and surf away . I found being farther from the screen also helps the eyes.
                I tried the track ball type when I started noticing the mouse was causing problems. I couldn't get used to it for detail work like tracing outlines of objects within a picture. My wife also hated it so I returned it.

This sounds like a new variation. I'll have to check them out. thanks......
                Kit Pic 1 Kit Pic 2 Kit Pic 3... And FOR SALE I have: 3 PD-9's, MDS-10 purple rack w/cables/pad and cym mounts. See classified posts for details or PM me.

Comment

Working...
                X