Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Salt Air

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Salt Air

Hello all,

My v's will be arriving in the near future and I am having trouble finding a good spot for them. My gf doesn't seem to want them in the "guest room" so I will have to put them in the living room of my apartment. The problem with this is that the window is usually wide open and faces toward the ocean (we live about 1 block from the beach) and I have a feeling the salt air will be a problem. The wind is usually 15 knots off the water. Any opinions on this, or will I have to use the dreaded AC?
    Roland TD-20 v1.08, various v-drums and v-cymbals, Yamaha KP65's, Axis pedals, Gibraltar hardware, Mackie 1202/SRM450 (pre-china)

All should be fine if the atmosphere around the drums is water-free. Invest in a good hygrometer. If the levels are not satifactory, seal up the V's.

-~

Comment

Solution: I will trade you houses. You will have no salt air here - just cow poop smells during fertilizing season.....

Deal??

Erik
      SEP

Comment

I did hear that cars rust faster due to salt air but never heard electronics do
        Robert

Comment

Thanks for the input everyone. Marc., the area will be free of liquids unless I spill my rum & coke (which happens more than I'd like to admit). I'll invest in a plastic 7-11 slurpee thermos with built-in straw. Erik, cow poop sounds good. Send me some pictures. Putt, that's exactly why I'm worried about the salt air, because it corrodes the finish of cars. Luckily I bought a cheap old Honda civic so I could afford the v's. I don't care if it rusts, as long as it gets me where I want to go!
          Roland TD-20 v1.08, various v-drums and v-cymbals, Yamaha KP65's, Axis pedals, Gibraltar hardware, Mackie 1202/SRM450 (pre-china)

Comment

Originally posted by ufotofu:
            Marc., the area will be free of liquids unless I spill my rum & coke (which happens more than I'd like to admit).
            When I said atmosphere I was referring to the air. Water corrodes metal. All electronic signals on your V's travel along metal conductors. Although much of the metal is insulated, the plugs and jacks are exposed. So is your mounting h/w. If it were my drumset, I'd seal-up the house airtight.

-~

Comment

You will probably have to worry more about the metal moving parts, like the chain on my beloved dw5000 pedal, which got somewhat rusty in just 4 nights at Sharkey's club in Panama City (RIGHT on the beach). Also, the lugs on my toms ate it too...still functional but it pissed me off for the crappy gig that it was.

redbrick
              My Updated Website: https://blades.technology

Comment

It must be nice!!! The only salt I have to worry about is the stuff they put on the roads because they are covered with ice 5 months out of the year. Oh yea! and the salt I use for my tequilla shots.

Kurt
                Kurt

Pearl drums converted with hart adc, roland kd7's, pd 120 for snare, various roland rubber pads, hart e cymbals and pads, td8, td6, 2 mackie srm450s and mackie sub. mackie sr 24-4 mixer........and always growing.

Comment

Originally posted by rudi-mint:
                  The only salt I have to worry about is the stuff they put on the roads because they are covered with ice 5 months out of the year.
                  Where on earth do you live??? When I lived in Europe, I thought the weather sucked, but 5 months? Bbbbrrrrrrrrr

-~

Comment

I live in northern Michigan. The weather right now goes from 30 degrees at night to about 45 during the day. It will start to warm up about mid May, but it doesn't get hot (90s)until june. Then it starts to cool off at the end of August.(70s) By mid Nov. we have snow and it stays until the end of March.

And yes it does suck!!!!!!

Kurt
                    Kurt

Pearl drums converted with hart adc, roland kd7's, pd 120 for snare, various roland rubber pads, hart e cymbals and pads, td8, td6, 2 mackie srm450s and mackie sub. mackie sr 24-4 mixer........and always growing.

Comment

Working...
                    X