Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our vBulletin Talk section for answers to vBulletin related FAQs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Another use for sand.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another use for sand.....

If anyone suggested this before, I was too thick to listen, because I was so stoked (in Illinois?!) on trying the tire platform idea, but;

What would sandbags have on vibrations traveling through the rack and then through the floor of my appartment?

Imagins, if you will, a multi-layer sandwich consisting ofa layer of foam, a sheet of 3/4" ply, 6 - 8 sand bags (the tube sized ones you put in your car or truck in the winter), another foam layer, another sheet of ply, and my Vs on top of it all...

Am I correct in thinking the vibration would pretty much stop at the sand bags?

Discuss, thanks.

------------------
    \oo/_ _\oo/

[This message has been edited by rus (edited February 20, 2001).]
    \oo/_ :mad: _\oo/

Rus,
    I agree with Feefer in that sand does conduct the vibrations through to the floor.
    We have concrete floors here, and concrete (made up of sand and cement and rocks) is a very good conductor of vibrations, which goes against what someone said, "if only I lived in a house with concrete floors".
    I'm sure the noise problem will be fixed if you fill the whole of the downstairs room with sand .. Hey, just kidding..

I think Feefer's got a point with fixing your stands on the support braces of your house..

Fon.

TD8 with PD7's, 2 KD7's (From previous TD7)
    Tama Rockstar with mix of Sabian, Zildjian and Paiste.

Comment

I work in a building that has two soundproof rooms that were erected by people that build sound proof rooms exclusively. They built 2 concrete walls around each room and poured sand between the walls. There must be some advantage to using sand because just leaving an air gap between the walls would be pretty good soundproofing, but they chose sand instead. Sand is cheap. What's the worst that could happen? A sand bag break in inside your house making a huge mess that you would never get completly out of your carpet?

Comment

Okay Feefer, you got me thinking. Theres this honeycomb paper stuff called Hexacomb. I know this stuff comes up to 3 inch thicknesses or even more maybe. Put this stuff under a piece of plywood and it would be like standing paper on edge, very little contact to floor. It is used in the shipping trade (packaging mostly). Heres a quote from thier site: Excellent acoustical properties. Absorbs low-end sound frequencies.
        http://www.hexacomb.com

Comment

Wow! There's been some action on this thread since I last checked it...

I got this idea when I went to a club in Florida that a friend of mine and his sound company built. They had built a box which they filled with sand to use under the turntables... The reasons were two fold: First, it reduced the vibrations to the turntables reducing skippage (this was a loud club), second... and more confusing, I guess the age old image of rock guys with their amp heads on top of thier cabinets is a bad thing to do... something about vibration disrupting the electronics or something (these guys are all crazy engineers so it may all be theory, but the stuff the build (cabinets for PA and instruments, DJ Booths, BIG dance clubs in Florida) all sound amazing...

Long story short, he said try it, I'm going to.

------------------
          \oo/_ _\oo/

[This message has been edited by rus (edited February 20, 2001).]

Comment

What about using old tires for stability and isolation? I've been thinking about sandwiching old tires between two layers of plywood and filling the interior with some of that acoustic foam.

Comment

I was going to suggest suspending the set in air, but feerer's lecture gave me an idea. How's about placing the set atop a waterbed?

~~~~~
              - -

Comment

Originally posted by grambo:
                What about using old tires for stability and isolation? I've been thinking about sandwiching old tires between two layers of plywood and filling the interior with some of that acoustic foam.
                While you will get good (not great) isolation, you will NOT have stability... Imagine your V-s on a a raft... on the ocean... That's what it's like. Maybe I need some stiffer tires... but then, wouldn't that transfer the vibrations better?

------------------
                \oo/_ _\oo/

[This message has been edited by rus (edited February 21, 2001).]

Comment

i'm having a similar problem..i thought the Vs would solve my "no practice in the tiny apartment" problem..but when my neighbor was slamming on the walls at 1:30am i realized that the sound of the pads are in fact VERY loud..

------------------
                  hit harder???
                  hit harder???

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Alicks:
                      Hello,

[snip]
                      Is there a forum for just chatting about playing without any technical stuff?

Alicks.
                      Go to yahoogroups.com and look for ShrinersConvention, they're pretty quiet at the moment, but there normally are some nice discussions there. Tell 'em Stu sent ya!

Stu

"Fry that sound effect, Moriarty, we're having it for breakfast"

Comment

Stu,
                        Thanks, I'll check it out later.

Comment

Working...
                        X