Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our vBulletin Talk section for answers to vBulletin related FAQs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

OT: Steve Irwin, the "Crocodile Hunter" dead at 40.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes, condolences, you will be missed Steve, my kids, wife and I all loved watching your shows, both for the education and fun....
    Death is not an end, it is just the begining of something beutifull!!!

Comment

His success in his shows gradually made him think every now and then in a very unhumane way.

Not being hard on Irwin but that's the truth. He was a big idol to many including me when I was a kid but then it's not like he wasn't a fool either.

I really feel sorry for his family..
      Last edited by Some Day Grey; 09-05-06, 11:46 AM.

Comment

IMHO: The tone of this off-topic discussion has been to be sympathetic to the tragic loss of a very beloved person all over the world; someone who was especially revered by many of our fellow forum members in Steve's home and native Australia.

This is a very sensitive topic, especially so soon after the actual event.

Therefore, I request that all posts maintain this tone - and that they especially adhere to the rules of the forum (at the top of the topics on the main index page) as far as board behavior, civility, etc.
        Hart Pro 6.4 (Hammered Chrome), Roland TD-8, Gibraltar Throne w/ Backrest, Tama Iron Cobra Bass Pedal, ALTEC A7-500 "Voice of the Theatre" Speaker/Horn System with Sunn Concert Slave amp and lot of other audio stuff, Sony MDR-7506 Headphones, Zildjian DipSticks - and Czech Skorpian, Heckler & Koch MP5, etc Submachine Guns to stick out the window behind my kit for some quite unique fills...

Comment

I'm sure Animal Planet will be running his stories, interviews and documentaries in the next few days (they were on all day today).

I suggest especially watching the interview in 2004 and the 2000 biography to understand the man and why he did the things he did, his background and what his motives always were.

He impressed me as anything but a self-destructive human being. He took risks for his passion of conservation and education (and he did it long before the cameras were rolling). He feared his own complacency, he didn't think he was invincible. And he had been bitten before by both a croc and snakes.

| Argos | Your Cloud | Lost In Germany | Life Wasted | Identity Crisis
          | The Xerophyte | Red Barchetta | Subdivisions or Drums Only |

Superior Drummer w/ Metal Foundry, dfhS samples and Platinum Samples Evil Drums.

Comment

I do agree. A thread regarding the man's death is hardly the place to question how the man lived. Even if he was an addict (as Feefer called him), that doesn't take away from the fact that he was still loved by many.

Comment

This bloke is Legend, and True Blue Aussie Icon and I feel so sad for his family and friends who at this time will wonder why he was take from them so soon.

It's just not fair.

Leo

Comment

My condolences to his family. Very saddening news. There is some comfort in knowing that he was good at what he did, touched many lives, and enjoyed what he was doing.

Steve
                Roland TD-12, 4-piece kit (very downsized) setup
                http://www.vdrums.com/forum/attachme...0&d=1180324146
                Gretsch New Classic, Yamaha & Ludwig snares
                Agop SE, Vintage A Zildjian, K, K Custom Dark, Sabian HHX Legacy
                DW Hardware

Comment

post deleted.
                  Last edited by Pleiadian; 09-05-06, 04:19 PM.

Comment

what is this? another gang up on Hiroshi thread?
                    The guy makes some reasonable comments and statements that have been echoed by other "animal" conservationists on TV and radio. No need to start name calling.

Comment

Yes, I edited a few more replies.

If anyone does not understand why, please take a few minutes to read the rules at the top of the forum on the index page and my previous post.

This thread started as an off-topic but VERY universal-appeal comment about sympathy and a universal appeal pertaining to the passing of a well-known celebrity.

A couple of responses either ONLY criticized this person, or severely did so in detail with little offer or mention of sympathy or condolences.

The concern in the thread developed when this was perceived by many as provocative and unwarranted - disruptive to the topic - and several subsequent responses were personally directed at the POSTER with name-calling and other harsh personal comments.

It escalated, so I edited or deleted to remove the disruptive and personally-directed comments - and direct quotes to them - some more.

This is a difficult decision, because it involves editing or deleting posts by fellow board members - EVERY one of whom I consider friends. I risk criticism of my own actions, and accept such potential in the tone of maintaining civility and mutual respect as much as possible on our board.

However, I also have a responsibility to a COMMON and GREATER concern: that we are ALL friends here with a common purpose, and one off-topic discussion about a beloved celebrity should not cause such friction among each other.
                      Hart Pro 6.4 (Hammered Chrome), Roland TD-8, Gibraltar Throne w/ Backrest, Tama Iron Cobra Bass Pedal, ALTEC A7-500 "Voice of the Theatre" Speaker/Horn System with Sunn Concert Slave amp and lot of other audio stuff, Sony MDR-7506 Headphones, Zildjian DipSticks - and Czech Skorpian, Heckler & Koch MP5, etc Submachine Guns to stick out the window behind my kit for some quite unique fills...

Comment

Originally posted by MickRR
                        Yeah, we're all gonna die sooner or later, but the ones that die sooner than we expect them are good cause for us to take a breather....get out of the fast lane & stop to smell the roses in our lives.
                        Well said!

The Croc Hunter was tons of fun to watch on TV, but I think everyone said, "What the hell is he thinking", at least once. That being said, my humble opinion of this guy was that he was a family man with a love for animals. My kids and I will miss his shows and many heart felt condolences go out to his family, especially his young children.

Comment

He will be missed.

I have a sneaking suspicion that his family probably knew what he did was dangerous, and that they happily supported him for doing it regardless. That is their call, and I'll bet they made it with both eyes open.

There are many tens of thousands of families in the U.S. right now with loved ones in mortal danger. I'll bet my bottom dollar that for many, their decision to leave their families and perhaps die with honor, were made with eyes not privy to the whole view.

That seems more tragic to me than Steve Irwin, who died doing what he loved most.

Comment

Originally posted by Some Day Grey
                            Yes, I edited a few more replies.

If anyone does not understand why, please take a few minutes to read the rules at the top of the forum on the index page and my previous post.

This thread started as an off-topic but VERY universal-appeal comment about sympathy and a universal appeal pertaining to the passing of a well-known celebrity.

A couple of responses either ONLY criticized this person, or severely did so in detail with little offer or mention of sympathy or condolences.

The concern in the thread developed when this was perceived by many as provocative and unwarranted - disruptive to the topic - and several subsequent responses were personally directed at the POSTER with name-calling and other harsh personal comments.

It escalated, so I edited or deleted to remove the disruptive and personally-directed comments - and direct quotes to them - some more.

This is a difficult decision, because it involves editing or deleting posts by fellow board members - EVERY one of whom I consider friends. I risk criticism of my own actions, and accept such potential in the tone of maintaining civility and mutual respect as much as possible on our board.

However, I also have a responsibility to a COMMON and GREATER concern: that we are ALL friends here with a common purpose, and one off-topic discussion about a beloved celebrity should not cause such friction among each other.
                            My post was one that you removed. Whenever someone passes it is just a matter of time before tasteless jokes are plastered all over the Internet. In this case, one of the forum users found it fit to post a tasteless joke in the middle of a thread that was created for us to express our sympathies. The same day the person had died no less.
                            I called the person on it and called him a name. A name that we have all heard since grammar school...but wrong none the less. I apologize for this. I obviously do not have the tolerance, nor see the humor, in posting jokes hours after someone has passed away.
                            People amaze me.
                            Roland V-Pro TD20 expanded with V Expressions
                            Presonus Firepod
                            Reaper
                            Acoustic- Spaun drums, Dunnett snare & Paiste Signature Series Cymbals.

Comment

He seemed like a genuine guy with an absolute passion for his 'hobby' that shone through, and he made it fun to watch. I'm sure we've all done kranky things in our time, its just that his were caught on camera. He entertained me, made me smile, and wince.
                              TD10ex, SPD-S, kd's, pd's, cy's, Koby, KitToys ( 9" splash & 10" mini china - yep you read that correctly... a very rare 10" mini china lol ), Iron Cobra, Mackie, Beyer. arizonaband.net

Comment

I'm gonna miss hearing, "crickey", or "oh she's a beaut."

Comment

Working...
                                X