Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mesh head patents, Roland vs. Yamaha

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mesh head patents, Roland vs. Yamaha

I got a Musicians Friend catalog in the mail about a month ago. It had a review by Rick Long of the Yamaha DTXtreme. I quote:

“The RHP pads came with Remo Ambassador heads. Since the pads have a shell, they produce a small amount of sound like a practice pad. For silent practice or performing, mesh heads can be installed. A replacement foam pad with a waffled top is supplied with the RHP pads. This waffled pad is used underneath mesh heads in place of the standard foam. Due to patents by a competitor, Yamaha doesn’t supply RHP pads with mesh heads installed. I tried a mesh head on a 120SD snare pad. The minimal sound made by the Ambassadors was completely gone. Feel was excellent….” blah, blah, blah.

If this competitor (Roland I assume) holds the patent, why are there are so many other so many other companies selling products with a mesh head? Is it a gentlemans agreement between Roland and Yamaha? Does this Rick Long dude know what he is talking about? Why hasn’t Roland sued the pants off of Pintech and Hart?

Not sure about this particular case, but there's a basic concept that goes hand-in-hansd with 'patents' called 'licenses.' Perhaps Yamaha said no, Pintech and Hart said 'yes'?

Comment

Yamaha is a Japanese company, the patent Roland holds might pertain to companies manufacturing in Japan, not internationally. I don't know enough about international law to tell you for certain. Perhaps Roland feels these small companies don't pose as big a threat as Yamaha.
      Drumkat Turbo 4.5, Emulator X3, Superior 2.1, Roland Fantom XR, DTXtreme III, SPD-20 etc.......

Comment

Actually Hart had mesh heads available before Roland had their mesh heads on the market. I had my mesh heads (single ply at that time) from Hart for 6 months before Roland showed theirs at NAMM. So I don’t know who copied whom?

------------------
        szvook
        Studio

Comment

Interesting. I am going to take a look at the US patent site and see whats there. I know Al's Spacemuffins are there....

Erik
          SEP

Comment

The debue date means nothing, it's the patent file date.
            Drumkat Turbo 4.5, Emulator X3, Superior 2.1, Roland Fantom XR, DTXtreme III, SPD-20 etc.......

Comment

Originally posted by jrcel:
              The debue date means nothing, it's the patent file date.

True

------------------
              szvook
              Studio

Comment

I don't think Roland has a patent on mesh heads at all, just a patent for their positional sensing system (using one piezo).

Comment

We've already been through all this, yes Roland has a patent on mesh heads, there are a bunch of other posts somewhere on this sit pertaining to it.

Comment

Working...
                  X