Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Last-minute doubts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Last-minute doubts

Hello all,

After months of research on vdrums.com (and demoing at Sam Ash), I am about to purchase my first edrum kit, which will be based on Roland products. To tell you the truth, I really do think the ddrums are superior, but the stick noise is unacceptable to me. (I have cranky neighbors.) However I am experiencing some last-minute doubts. This is what I intend to purchase:

TD-8 module
    PD-120 snare
    (3) PD-100 toms
    (3) PD-7 cymbals
    KD-120 kick
    FD-7 hat control
    Gibralter GRS-350C rack
    Axis X double pedal
    Mackie SRM450 amp
    Sony MDR-7506 headphones

Any comments whatsoever on this setup would be appreciated, positive or negative. I have a few specific questions as well:

* Will I need any extra wires or hardware (booms/clamps), besides the snare stand and throne?

* Should prices be coming down on these discontinued Roland products? Iíve been pricing them online but the prices seem as high as ever.

* I also intend to purchase a set of v-cymbals in the future. Can the TD-8 be "shacked" to support the 3 extra PD-7 pads in addition to a set of 3 or 4 v-cymbals?

* Is it a bad idea to use the SRM450 as a combo guitar/edrum amp? Would I need a mixer to do this?

Well, thanks everybody for your help, and of course thanks to vdrums.com for providing such an excellent resource.
    Roland TD-20 v1.08, various v-drums and v-cymbals, Yamaha KP65's, Axis pedals, Gibraltar hardware, Mackie 1202/SRM450 (pre-china)

Originally posted by ufotofu:
    This is what I intend to purchase:

TD-8 module
    PD-120 snare
    (3) PD-100 toms
    (3) PD-7 cymbals
    KD-120 kick
    FD-7 hat control
    Gibralter GRS-350C rack
    Axis X double pedal
    Mackie SRM450 amp
    Sony MDR-7506 headphones
    How much are you paying for all this? If it's a reasonable deal you should be very happy with what you're getting.
    FJMAR99 --The original pimp!

Comment

To tell you the truth, I really do think the ddrums are superior, but the stick noise is unacceptable to me.
      I don't want to keep you away from Roland products, but a ddrum4 with Pearl Rhythm Traveller (silent mesh heads !!!) and ddrum triggers is good option too.

The answers

Will I need any extra wires or hardware (booms/clamps), besides the snare stand and throne?
      Nope. You already have the drum rack.

Should prices be coming down on these discontinued Roland products? Iíve been pricing them online but the prices seem as high as ever.
      Discountinued? I don't think they are

I also intend to purchase a set of v-cymbals in the future. Can the TD-8 be "shacked" to support the 3 extra PD-7 pads in addition to a set of 3 or 4 v-cymbals?
      The unit has enough imputs to take up a couple of cymbals but the 3 trigger positions from the new Vcymbal ride will not work on the td-8. Only with the TD-10 with updated TDW-1.

Is it a bad idea to use the SRM450 as a combo guitar/edrum amp?
      Guitars need other amps and other (flat) loud speakers than general use powered speakers like the SRM450 have
      Robert

Comment

(Off the subject)

UfotofU -- from an admirer of palindromes, let me say: good one. I like it.

DJourg

[This message has been edited by DJourg (edited March 20, 2001).]

Comment

[B]
          TD-8 module
          PD-120 snare
          (3) PD-100 toms
          (3) PD-7 cymbals
          KD-120 kick
          FD-7 hat control
          Gibralter GRS-350C rack
          Axis X double pedal
          Mackie SRM450 amp
          Sony MDR-7506 headphones
          B]
          Sounds like a great setup! You could buy 2 of the hart plastic crashes and use them in kick 1/2 and aux 11/12. With a y cable you can use a hart with the base drum, and you could use 11/12 for a tom and a cymbal. That would leave cymbal inputs available. for what ever you want. Or, when you buy the new roland cymbals you could use 2 of the pd-7s the way I described above (y cable) but you would lose the rim function.

The mackie is a great monitor for the vdrums.

Kurt
          Kurt

Pearl drums converted with hart adc, roland kd7's, pd 120 for snare, various roland rubber pads, hart e cymbals and pads, td8, td6, 2 mackie srm450s and mackie sub. mackie sr 24-4 mixer........and always growing.

Comment

Not a bad setup, but may I suggest some other options?

First, the rack: Go for the GR350GC version, about $270 at Guitar Center and musiciansfriend.com. This rack includes 2 cymbal boom arms mounted to the uprights. Plus 4 universal clamps. And I gotta disagree witt putt (sorry!), but you will need more hardware. Not sure if the PD120/100's & PD7's come with L-rods. If not, you'll need these, one per pad. I bought Gibraltar L-rods at 2 for $11 or so.

You'll also need some clamps. If you get the GR350GC rack, 2 cymbals and 4 pads are covered. But you'll need a couple more (at least) to mount the TD-8 and third cymbal (hi-hat). Plus a bracket to mount the TD-8 to the clamp.

As for the pads, you may want to sub in a couple of PD80's for toms, but go with the PD100's if you like the size better. I suggest checking out the KD80, which is much cheaper than the KD120. They both work the same and feel very close IMO.

For cymbals, I'd recommend the Yamaha PCY80S. Much quieter than the PD7's, a bit more 'give' to them, and they respond just as well (chokable etc.).Although I prefer a PD7 for my hi-hat.

As for the amp, the Mackie sounds fine. Also consider the Eon G2 (about $550). Not sure about the Mackie inputs, but the G2 has 2 1/4" unbalanced inputs and one XLR input, with separate level controls (plus a master level knob), and should work fine for a guitar & drums. (I've used drums, keyboard and vocals with no problem!) I think the Mackie has 2-3 inputs also.

My final recommendation is a Yamaha BP80 for the Aux 11/12 input. This is a dual trigger on a horizontal rod (comes with its own rack mounting clamp). Great for all sorts of percussion sounds, etc., can trigger spalshes or whatever as well. Mine sits above and just behind the hi-hat. About $100 at a music dealer near you. $^)

Comment

I can relate to your doubts as I just went through this decision a month ago. I ended up buying DDrums. I would say that you're going to be happy whatever route you go, and V's and D's both have their pluses and minuses. I know that a lot of people say the V mesh heads or the DDrum pads "play more like a real kit" but I don't think either of them are that close to a real kit..DDrum is a little closer than the V's IMHO. Anyway I think you'll be happy with whatever you get, just don't expect them to be real drums. Adjust your technique etc, its not a big deal and they are rewarding instruments in their own right....good luck!

Comment

I second tower's comments. Just to relate a few of my thoughts along the way, I jumped in just over a year ago with a set of Customs. The price and portability won me over the Pros. I quickly got used to the 8" tom pads, and it's improved my accuracy noticeably. When I play my acoustics now, I can actually place hits much better. And I like being able to pack all my drum and cymbal pads and pedals into a single big plastic cooler.

I like the TD8 and have made/tweaked 5-6 kits that I use most often. I still haven't explored many of the subtle features, although I have gotten the trigger adjustments and output balance set pretty well. I've actually been playiong more than fiddling, with occasional mods when something doesn't sound right. And my band really likes the sound of all the kits I use, better than acoustics.

Any vdrum/ddrum/edrum kit will be easier to play because of one key feature: the volume knob! When playing on acoustics (mostly rehearsals), I have to adjust my playing strength to the volume of the other monitors, which generally means holding back a lot. With the Vdrums, I can play at a comfortable force level all the time, and adjust the volume independently to mix in.

To be honest, my only regret is that I'm less inclined to play my acoustics these days. It's almost like the reason why my bicycle has been gathering dust for a few years since I got a motorcycle! $^)

Comment

Drmoze- what bike you got?

Comment

Originally posted by DJourg:
                    UfotofU -- from an admirer of palindromes, let me say: good one. I like it.
                    Actually I can't take the credit. Ufotofu is a song by the Flecktones. I'm sure you can imagine what it sounds like...

Roland TD-20 v1.08, various v-drums and v-cymbals, Yamaha KP65's, Axis pedals, Gibraltar hardware, Mackie 1202/SRM450 (pre-china)

Comment

Originally posted by drmoze:
                      As for the pads, you may want to sub in a couple of PD80's for toms, but go with the PD100's if you like the size better. I suggest checking out the KD80, which is much cheaper than the KD120. They both work the same and feel very close IMO.
                      Yeah, I like the size of the PD100 better. And it seems to be more sturdy than the PD80 which uses a lot of plastic if I remember correctly. I thought I'd go with the KD120 because of the double bass pedal?

Comment

The KD80 will handle a double bass just fine. I had one on mine for a while, and occasionally use it still. No problems triggering, the feel is fine.

cgrieves, I have an '85 Yamaha Virago. It was stock when I got it, but I modded it with aftermarket pipes, converted to a single carb (salvaged from a Harley), and it hauls butt now! It's a nice, sporty V-twin cruiser, handles great. (Progressive springs help here!)

Later!!

Comment

I just thought of something else. How about substituting another pd-100 for the pd-7 hi-hat, until the new v-hat is available. Then I would eventually have [4 toms, 2 aux] instead of [3 toms, 3 aux]. (Aux being the pd-7 pads.) Is it weird to use a pd-100 for a hi-hat?

Comment

You'd lose the hihat rim capability, but it's certainly possible. If you want an extra Tom, consider the PD-80 (8 inch mesh pad) as they're cheaper than the PD100/120. I bought one with my Pros and am rather fond of it.

Comment

Working...
                            X