Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our vBulletin Talk section for answers to vBulletin related FAQs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

suspended cymbal roll

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• suspended cymbal roll

I am just beginning to explore the TD-10 and it's sounds. I have a new expanded version.
    I was surprised that there is no wave form for a "mallet suspended cymbal cresendo roll". Wow, even some keyboards have one in their drum patches.
    Did I miss something, or is there one in there that I haven't seen? Has anybody created a good one? Hmmmm. This is a sound I could really use a lot of in my playing...

[This message has been edited by HammersSon (edited March 17, 2001).]

There is a mallet ride and a mallet crash in the TDW-1. I dont have the number because I am at work. I'll get them for you tommorrow if no else does it sooner.
    TD10ex

Comment

Originally posted by HammersSon:
      I am just beginning to explore the TD-10 and it's sounds.

I was surprised that there is no wave form for a "mallet suspended cymbal cresendo roll".
      Look harder. #822, #868.

I have my cymbal sensitivity up higher than the defaults, around 9 or 10 and I use the Log 1 curve. I find you can do a roll and really control some of the crashes (thin 16" for example) to get a nice bright swell. It also saves wear and tear on the wrist once you get used to not bashing the pads. There are several original and expanded crashes I use for this effect. Experiment a little.
      Kit Pic 1 Kit Pic 2 Kit Pic 3... And FOR SALE I have: 3 PD-9's, MDS-10 purple rack w/cables/pad and cym mounts. See classified posts for details or PM me.

Comment

Boingo,
        I got your reply, thanx. But, I already found #822, and #868 before I made the posting. True, these are mallet cymbals, but the operative word in my original posting was "cresendo" cymbals. What I was looking for was more like a sample of a mallet cymbal roll that cresendos for like 3 seconds. Something you strike once, and the roll cresendos from 0-127. (similar to the auto-snare roll. I have found samples like these in keyboard drum maps before, and they were actually acceptable.
        I am using a "Zendrum" controller with my TD-10 sound module, so I am not using sticks, just my fingers. This might explain why I am looking for an auto-roll, as opposed to just having the sound available to me where I can do the roll myself...

Comment

You might want to play with the decay setting although too much decay is unnatural sounding. There might be a cymbal or two that might get you close. Who knows, pumping up the ambience and effects and adding a little compression might get you there also.

Maybe someone will get real creative and do something with a pattern.

Well, that completely emptied my brain.
          Kit Pic 1 Kit Pic 2 Kit Pic 3... And FOR SALE I have: 3 PD-9's, MDS-10 purple rack w/cables/pad and cym mounts. See classified posts for details or PM me.

Comment

Thanx Boingo

Comment

Originally posted by HammersSon:
              What I was looking for was more like a sample of a mallet cymbal roll that cresendos for like 3 seconds. Something you strike once, and the roll cresendos from 0-127...
              I think this can be simply solved by the on-board sequencer. The sequencer records in real time (as you play on the pads, kind of like tape recording yourself). Go into patterns, select an empty pattern number, and perform a crescendo with the desired cymbal sample.

Make sure the sequence type is a 'one-shot' and you've got your one-handed, one-stroke cymbal swell.

DJourg

P.S. It just occurred to me that there is a reverse-cymbal sample (don't know instrument #, it would be in the effects group). I've messed with this a bit; this resembles a cymbal swell somewhat. Tweak the decay, pitch, and EQ; you may like it. I could imagine this being used with the sequence I described above -- alternate between the two maybe? -- might be interesting. Another thing I do is assign a hi-hat pitch bend to the reverse cymbal. Nice noise.

[This message has been edited by DJourg (edited March 18, 2001).]

Comment

Working...
              X