Announcement

Collapse

Lounge Posting Guidelines

E-DRUMMING DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST PRODUCT OR TECHNICAL QUESTIONS!

Having issues? Please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

See more
See less

suspended cymbal roll

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• suspended cymbal roll

I am just beginning to explore the TD-10 and it's sounds. I have a new expanded version.
    I was surprised that there is no wave form for a "mallet suspended cymbal cresendo roll". Wow, even some keyboards have one in their drum patches.
    Did I miss something, or is there one in there that I haven't seen? Has anybody created a good one? Hmmmm. This is a sound I could really use a lot of in my playing...

[This message has been edited by HammersSon (edited March 17, 2001).]

There is a mallet ride and a mallet crash in the TDW-1. I dont have the number because I am at work. I'll get them for you tommorrow if no else does it sooner.
    TD10ex

Comment

Originally posted by HammersSon:
      I am just beginning to explore the TD-10 and it's sounds.

I was surprised that there is no wave form for a "mallet suspended cymbal cresendo roll".
      Look harder. #822, #868.

I have my cymbal sensitivity up higher than the defaults, around 9 or 10 and I use the Log 1 curve. I find you can do a roll and really control some of the crashes (thin 16" for example) to get a nice bright swell. It also saves wear and tear on the wrist once you get used to not bashing the pads. There are several original and expanded crashes I use for this effect. Experiment a little.
      Kit Pic 1 Kit Pic 2 Kit Pic 3... And FOR SALE I have: 3 PD-9's, MDS-10 purple rack w/cables/pad and cym mounts. See classified posts for details or PM me.

Comment

Boingo,
        I got your reply, thanx. But, I already found #822, and #868 before I made the posting. True, these are mallet cymbals, but the operative word in my original posting was "cresendo" cymbals. What I was looking for was more like a sample of a mallet cymbal roll that cresendos for like 3 seconds. Something you strike once, and the roll cresendos from 0-127. (similar to the auto-snare roll. I have found samples like these in keyboard drum maps before, and they were actually acceptable.
        I am using a "Zendrum" controller with my TD-10 sound module, so I am not using sticks, just my fingers. This might explain why I am looking for an auto-roll, as opposed to just having the sound available to me where I can do the roll myself...

Comment

You might want to play with the decay setting although too much decay is unnatural sounding. There might be a cymbal or two that might get you close. Who knows, pumping up the ambience and effects and adding a little compression might get you there also.

Maybe someone will get real creative and do something with a pattern.

Well, that completely emptied my brain.
          Kit Pic 1 Kit Pic 2 Kit Pic 3... And FOR SALE I have: 3 PD-9's, MDS-10 purple rack w/cables/pad and cym mounts. See classified posts for details or PM me.

Comment

Thanx Boingo

Comment

Originally posted by HammersSon:
              What I was looking for was more like a sample of a mallet cymbal roll that cresendos for like 3 seconds. Something you strike once, and the roll cresendos from 0-127...
              I think this can be simply solved by the on-board sequencer. The sequencer records in real time (as you play on the pads, kind of like tape recording yourself). Go into patterns, select an empty pattern number, and perform a crescendo with the desired cymbal sample.

Make sure the sequence type is a 'one-shot' and you've got your one-handed, one-stroke cymbal swell.

DJourg

P.S. It just occurred to me that there is a reverse-cymbal sample (don't know instrument #, it would be in the effects group). I've messed with this a bit; this resembles a cymbal swell somewhat. Tweak the decay, pitch, and EQ; you may like it. I could imagine this being used with the sequence I described above -- alternate between the two maybe? -- might be interesting. Another thing I do is assign a hi-hat pitch bend to the reverse cymbal. Nice noise.

[This message has been edited by DJourg (edited March 18, 2001).]

Comment

Working...
              X