Announcement

Collapse

Lounge Posting Guidelines

E-DRUMMING DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST PRODUCT OR TECHNICAL QUESTIONS!

Having issues? Please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

See more
See less

Noisy FD-7

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Noisy FD-7

Hi,
    My FD-7 is making a lot of noise when I play it. It's a awful loud squeek!, squeek!, squeek!
    Does anybody experience the same? How about lubricating it? Any suggestion is welcomed.
    Thanks,
    Pierre.

Hello Boismenu

Since no one has responded to your post yet I'll bite.

Now I've had this problem also, with both of my FD-7's. They are both very old and most likely will need to be replaced.

I had mis-triggering problems as well as squeaking. The squeaking, in my case, was in the hinges as the heel of the pedal. A little oil and it was fine.

The mis-triggering would happen when I would snap the pedal into closed position for a 'chick' sound, but got the 'splash' sound instead. Unacceptable. So I removed the blocky, black housing at the front of the pedal (the one where the cord plugs into, also where the threaded bolt inserts at the top of the pedal). The screws are accessible from the bottom (but very tight).

Warning: There is a thin strip of plastic that connects the housing to the base of the pedal. BE VERY CAREFUL REMOVING THE HOUSING. This strip of plastic has some circuitry on it, it is depressed by a curved strip of rubber which apparently tells it how 'closed' or 'open' the hi-hat is when you depress the pedal. Clever system, and shockingly simple-looking considering the cost of this item.

As I said, be careful. You will only be able to get a couple of inches gap; if you unscrew the pedal at the heel you can get more access. But do not let that plastic strip become disconnected. This happened to me and now I have one useless FD-7.

I cleaned out the interior of the housing as best as I could -- a lot of dust in there. I tried to adjust the bolt but there is little to be done, and I reassembled it.

That took care of the problem temporarily. I'm not sure if I'd lube anyting -- maybe the spring under the footboard? Anyway, the mis-triggering has just reappeared and I'm going to have to get in there again.

Anyone know any Chicago-area V-drum service shops?

DJourg.

Comment

Originally posted by DJourg:
      Hello Boismenu

Since no one has responded to your post yet I'll bite.
      Thanks!

Warning: There is a thin strip of plastic that connects the housing to the base of the pedal. BE VERY CAREFUL REMOVING THE HOUSING.
      I'll be!. Tonight I'll try... ooopps! not tonight. It's my wife birthday!
      Remember guys, avoid the drum kit, the PC, be early at home and please take a shower on your wife birthday!

Comment

Hey Boismenu how did everything turn out?

Comment

Well, I want to have time and quiet when opening the FD-7. Two things very difficult to have if you live with a wife and two very young daughters
          Also I'll be a few weeks away from home in a trip to Africa, so I decided to wait until I return.
          I'll let you know the result.
          Thanks for asking.
          Pierre.

Comment

Working...
          X