Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our vBulletin Talk section for answers to vBulletin related FAQs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Vertigo from headphone use??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vertigo from headphone use??

At the clinic for V-drummers in Atlanta this past weekend, I was talking to a fellow that was asking me about my gear. I mentioned that for practice at home I almost always wear headphones. He said, "Be careful of that vertigo thing using phones all the time." When I asked what he meant he said that he had been to the doctor for a mild recurring case of vertigo and that when he told the doctor about practicing drums with headphones on, the doctor said that was probably it. It seems that wearing closed ear cans, even at low volumes can cause pressure build up inside the ear and lead to balance problems and dizziness. This struck a real chord with me as I went to the doctor about six months ago for exactly this problem.

My doctor told me that there can be a sudden onset of positional vertigo that occurs for no apparent reason and I must be experiencing that. I think that's Dr. speak for, "I have no idea."

Have any of you had any of these symptoms particularly when first standing up from a lying down position? It never occured to me that this could be related to the drums and for that reason, I never mentioned using the headphones to my doctor.

Originally posted by Arriguy:
    [B
    Have any of you had any of these symptoms particularly when first standing up from a lying down position? It never occured to me that this could be related to the drums and for that reason, I never mentioned using the headphones to my doctor.[/B]
    The symptoms you describe above sound more like a blood pressure problem than an inner ear problem. Feeling dizzy or lightheaded when standing is because when you stand suddenly the blood flows down to your legs and deprives your brain of its blood supply causing you to feel faint. This is sometimes caused by being a bit dehydrated, or maybe you have a low blood pressure to begin with.

Vertigo can be caused by a build up of pressure in the inner ear. Usually fluid this is a condition called labrynthitis. I have never heard of headphone causing this, but I suppose it is posible.

Just a thought
    Kurt
    Kurt

Pearl drums converted with hart adc, roland kd7's, pd 120 for snare, various roland rubber pads, hart e cymbals and pads, td8, td6, 2 mackie srm450s and mackie sub. mackie sr 24-4 mixer........and always growing.

Comment

Feef,
      So you're saying I'm just perfused?

[This message has been edited by Arriguy (edited March 06, 2001).]

Comment

Hey Arriguy...

I'm an airline pilot when I'm not home playing my V's, and as such I'm subject to pressure changes all day long in addition to all manner of vestibular trickery, plus all this while I'm wearing a headset for hours at a time. I've never heard of nor experienced the phenomenon you describe...Maybe it only affects a small percentage of the population...I wouldn't lose too much sleep over it...

Comment

Aye, Cap'n. Thanks for the info. You too, Feef and Rudi.

Comment

I thought it was the pot. Maybe it was that profsion thing all along.

~BIN

Comment

Studio

Comment

Originally posted by szvook:
                It's not the pot!!!!!!!

Kurt
                Kurt

Pearl drums converted with hart adc, roland kd7's, pd 120 for snare, various roland rubber pads, hart e cymbals and pads, td8, td6, 2 mackie srm450s and mackie sub. mackie sr 24-4 mixer........and always growing.

Comment

Working...
                X