Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our vBulletin Talk section for answers to vBulletin related FAQs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

TDW1 upgrade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TDW1 upgrade

Just got word today from Roland tech support that my TD-10 unit is the first they've received to upgrade the TDW1 for the triple sensing V-cymbal ride. While I don't really like the distinction of being the guinea pig for this operation, he assured me they performed many test "burns" and it's not a big deal.

As soon as I get the unit back this week I'll confirm (hopefully) that the aux input used for the V-Ride functions normally when not hooked up to the cymbal. By the way, I DON'T have the cymbals yet, but have been told within the next two weeks they'll be in stock. We'll see about that...

Jeff
    Atlanta

Great! Thats the question I've had all along. What will you loose or gain if you do not use the V-cymbals.

Break a leg

Comment

feffer
      The new V's are Session and Concert.The white pro's will be no more so I assume the demo units will be for sale.

Comment

I sent the whole TD-10 to Roland L.A. at my expense, they said they would perform the upgrade and ship back within 72 hours.

Here in Atlanta, both Guitar Center and Mars have discounted their floor model V-Pro kits to make way for the V-Session and V-Concert kits which are supposed to be arriving in 2-3 weeks. So I guess the only way to demo the V-Ride will be with one of the new kits.

My advice to anyone wanting V-Drums is to buy the discounted V-Pro now, and realize a savings over the soon-to-arrive colored kits. There's just not enough of a difference between the kits/TD-10 to pay the higher amount - unless you really want a red or blue kit.

-Jeff

Comment

What is this upgrade that Roland has to do so you can use the new V-Cymbals. What do they do to your module? How much do they charge?
          V-Pro w/ Roland Cymbals (CY14C,CY15R,CY6), BBE 462, Mackie 1202-VLZ

Comment

Hi jdsail.
            I`m still being told over here in the UK that the upgrade is a simple midi dump to the TD10.
            If this is true then it would be just a matter of hooking it up to a sequencer and hitting play.
            Even if you have no sequencer software this could be done at your local roland music dealer and does not really require you to send it direct to roland.

If you have been told that the upgrade is not a "midi" upgrade what are they telling you it is.

cheers

Comment

Well first of all, the upgrade is free. Regarding the physical upgrade itself, I'm not certain what's involved, but the Roland tech guy said they "burned" a few as practice. It sounds like maybe they're soldering something on to the TDW1. Should've asked more questions...

~Jeff

Comment

If it's some kind of firmware upgrade they should let you download it with a utility from the website. Who wants to send their module in? That's lame.

Line 6 had updates where they send the owner a ROM chip, tell them to pry the thing apart and pop it in.

BINARY

Comment

Binary, I agree. I didn't want to part with my TD-10. The decision to send it in now was made easier when I broke a bone in my left hand last weekend playing tennis (don't ask). Now I've got six weeks to look at the V's and imagine I'm playing them. It's gonna be a long six weeks.

~Jeff

Comment

As they are talking about a 'burn' then they must simply be updating the operating system.
                    There is a Rom card updater for the TD10 Roland part no 17048658 which is inserted into the memory card slot, and this updates the operating system in about 30 seconds. Sending these out to the major music stores would allow us to go along and do our own.

Ken.

Comment

Originally posted by jdsail:
                      There's just not enough of a difference between the kits/TD-10 to pay the higher amount - unless you really want a red or blue kit.
                      For some, having the KD-120/TDW-1 combo maybe difference enough.

~~~~~
                      - -

Comment

When you insert the TDW1 upgrade the operating system is upgraded in about 30 seconds why should it take an hour?
                        They could say an hour because this could be the time allocated by roland for an engineer to open the packing we sent the units in, then insert the rom update card followed by running a system check followed by repacking and addressing. Certain main dealers in europe were offering operating system upgrades long before the TDW1 went on sale and it was done using the Rom card.

Ken.

Comment

Usually ,if you're required to send the unit in, it's because it's a rom change-out and it's hardwired to the board.
                          Drumkat Turbo 4.5, Emulator X3, Superior 2.1, Roland Fantom XR, DTXtreme III, SPD-20 etc.......

Comment

Working...
                          X