Announcement

Collapse

Lounge Posting Guidelines

E-DRUMMING DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST PRODUCT OR TECHNICAL QUESTIONS!

Having issues? Please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

See more
See less

JBL Monitors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JBL Monitors

Hi folks,
    Does any one have any experience using the JBL "MR" series monitors with the V's. I'm looking to purchase a system for personal monitoring that would also be sufficient for small to medium sized rooms. I have a specific interest in the "MR" series 15" and horn because I can pick up 2 for next to nothing but if they are no good at all then I would prefer to just get the better ones that are available. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated... Thanks.

Multillin,
    I am using two of those exact cabinets with my V-Drums right now. I am powering them with a little 6-channel Mackie Powered PA head, and they sound simply awesome. In fact, they are honestly the best PA speakers I have owned in the last 10 years. Do not hesitate, buy them. They are way phat. (Sorry, just wanted to say that)
    Happy e-Drumming!

------------------
    -Ectosan
    "Yeah, but can you play REAL drums, too?"
    -Ectosan

Comment

Thanks for your reply.. Since I first posted the question I had a chance to try them out and I found that they seemed weak in the bottom end.It could be a question of a little eq here and there. How have you got yours set up around your kit. Can you get them loud enough for a room of a few hundred people without them crapping out. Are you playing with basic preset kits or have you built some and tweaked them for the JBL's?
      Lots of questions..thanks ahead of time.

Comment

So far, I've only had my band members ask me to turn the bass down (TR-808, gotta love 'em)! By themselves,I can see how they might be a little weak on bass depending on your amp and eq. I have two of the JBL cabs (one on each side), but underneath both of them, I put a little Peavy Futura 15" cabinet. They're these little rack-mountable speaker cabinets that Peavy made years ago. I wouldn't use them as my sole 15"s, but they work great just to add that extra low-end thump. If you get the JBL's cheap, look into a single 15" cabinet to sit the JBLs on. You don't necessarily need a huge 18" subwoofer to achieve almost the same effect. BTW, sorry it took me so long to answer, I actually got a vacation. Hope some of this infor helps. Sound matters aside, I CAN say for certain that they are extremely reliable. Good luck!
        -Ectosan

Comment

Multilin, had your hearing range checked by a doctor recently? No offense, but in our business, it's a prudent measure and from the discussions I've been reading here and elsewhere, it seems you aren't hearing what most everyone else is. Take care friend.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Hi Marc, Actually my ears are in very good condition...I get them tested every year..Its a condition of my place of employment. I wonder about your question though a little because according to Ectosan he's listening to 4 15's plus horns for his set up. Doesn't that seem like a "wall" of speakers required to provide a good punchy sound?

Thanks for all the replys..
            Ken.

Comment

That is a good point, Multi, I do have two little speaker stacks on each side, but like I said in my previous post, I power this four-cabinet setup with just a little Mackie 406M Powered PA mixer which only pumps out 500 Watts continuous. Actually, having more speakers allows me to fill even more sonic space without having to be as loud as would be considered typical. I personally like the MR's a lot, and I think that with some good EQ'ing, you'll find they can deliver exceptional bass response before distortion. Hope this helps.
              -Ectosan

Comment

Oh, and yes, they are quite rugged and perform well in a live situation. Plenty of power handling capability for a medium to medium-large club, and the black metal grills with the glossy JBL logo is a nice touch, too.
                You can tell I like the MR's, but read up on the EONS as well. I've seen lots of posts on those particular cabinets, the majority of which praise.

------------------
                -Ectosan
                -Ectosan

Comment

Ectosan,
                  Thanks for all your reply's. I think the next thing I'm going to try is similar to what you described. There are some really good sounding 10" powered subs around 200 watts or so. That, with an MR sitting on top, should be close to what I'm looking for.
                  Gotta keep positive and try different combo's. These V's are too great to give up on... Thanks again,
                  Ken.

Comment

Working...
                  X