Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ARGH... Too--many -choices- --too -much- technology

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ARGH... Too--many -choices- --too -much- technology

Alright, here's the deal...
    If you guys don't know by now, my kit is incomplete. The electronics department isn't done (and probably never will be!).

Here's what I need to get: hardware, cymbals, cables, an amp so I don't blow out my Marshall 100 Watter, and a BRAIN to accomadate the rest of the pads that don't go into my SPD-20.

So for the brain, what do you recommend? I asked once before and Putt and someone else (forgot who, sorry!) recommended the SPD-20. But since I already have one there's no real point in getting another.

Maybe if you have a visual of my kit, you can see what I'm talking about (check the link in my signature).

All I need is a brain like a TD-5, 7, 8, 10, or an Alesis or Yamaha so I can plug in the remaining 4 or 5 Techstar pads and make noise.

So, what brain has the best bang for bucks?

------------------
    My drums, y'all...
    "Get out there and rock...
    and roll the bones...
    GET BUSY!"
    substrike.com for a better tomorrow - today!
    My Drums
    Tama Rockstar Acoustics, Zildjian and Wuhan Cymbals, Roland SPD-20, Roland PM-16, Akai S2000 w/Iomega 250 SCSI Zip, 2 Pintech Silentech Pads (one single zone, one dual zone), Kat F.A.T. Pedal, Pintech K3, Simmons pads.

Hey KuzinRob,

I would go with the TD-8 at first, easier on the wallet and damn good module.

Originally posted by KuzinRob:
    If you guys don't know by now, my kit is incomplete. The electronics department isn't done (and probably never will be!).

Here's what I need to get: hardware, cymbals, cables, an amp so I don't blow out my Marshall 100 Watter, and a BRAIN to accomadate the rest of the pads that don't go into my SPD-20.

So for the brain, what do you recommend? I asked once before and Putt and someone else (forgot who, sorry!) recommended the SPD-20. But since I already have one there's no real point in getting another.

Maybe if you have a visual of my kit, you can see what I'm talking about (check the link in my signature).

All I need is a brain like a TD-5, 7, 8, 10, or an Alesis or Yamaha so I can plug in the remaining 4 or 5 Techstar pads and make noise.

------------------
    szvook
    Studio

Comment

How do you like your Tama Techstar? I played one a while back on a lone while my Simmons SDS-7 was getting touched up.

Originally posted by KuzinRob:

------------------
      szvook
      Studio

Comment

Do you want to be able to download and trigger different samples or are you happy with a module with fixed (editable) sounds?

If you don't need the sample feature just make sure through your own hearing that you are truly happy with the sounds on a fixed module before buying.

If you do want the sample feature DDrum4 have a lot of very good acoustic sounds downloadable of the clavia site as complete kit's and you can convert any WAV file etc etc.

Will you need an electronic hi-hat setup? If you go with DDrum you are restricted to using their setup, with roland you can use aftermarket equipment etc.

If you don't need sampling then I would go with the TD-8 as it has very good triggering, features and price.

Please use the search function to look at the last few years of arguements of TD-8 vs TD-10 vs DDRUM4 vs DMPRO vs DTXTREME etc etc.

And lastly, what modules are in your price range?

Good luck.

Comment

Hello Rob

A few questions:

You say you need a new module, but I'm uncertain if you need it because (a) you don't have enough inputs for your pads, or (b) you want more sounds.

If it's (a), you can get a cheap used module on e-bay or Solidstate.com or through local classifieds or even through this site.

If it's (b), first I have to say that I would imagine you have plenty between the Techstar module and the SPD-20, but it's your satisfaction that's important. There are many, many to choose from, and it is important to know what kind of budget you're working with. Too little $$, you can eliminate lots of modules.

Since you have acoustic drums in your setup it may not be important to have a module that can replicate realistic acoustic-drum-kit sounds. So maybe the Roland modules, which have always seemed to be engineered to recreate realistic acoustic sounds, can be eliminated. I never tried out the Yamaha stuff except the new DTxtreme module, which may be what you're looking for -- good electronic and ethnic sounds, not so good acoustic drum/cymbals.

You can probably pick up an Alesis D-4 for cheap; I used to use this as a sound source when I played Roland DDRs and I was satisfied with it.

I might also remind you that you could alternatively get a sampler instead of a module.

So it boils down to: Price range, and what kind of music you want to play from the electronics.

DJourg

Comment

Go to Ebay and run a search for drum module in musical instruments.
            Drumkat Turbo 4.5, Emulator X3, Superior 2.1, Roland Fantom XR, DTXtreme III, SPD-20 etc.......

Comment

Originally posted by szvook:
              How do you like your Tama Techstar? I played one a while back on a lone while my Simmons SDS-7 was getting touched up.
              I really like the sounds it's capable of making, but it's just four tom sounds a clap sound and a synth sound. So it's kinda limited in sounds. And, if I play the first channel (tom 1) for too long, it shorts out and I have to turn off the unit.

So long story short, I'd love it if it worked and had more sounds...

Sector- I'm pretty much satisfied with what's already in the brain. I may play with sampling when I get out of school and have money (and start playing professionally perhaps?).

DJourg- the answer to your question is "A"

Thanks a lot for the help guys, I'll keep checking eBay.

------------------
              My drums, y'all...
              "Get out there and rock...
              and roll the bones...
              GET BUSY!"
              substrike.com for a better tomorrow - today!
              My Drums
              Tama Rockstar Acoustics, Zildjian and Wuhan Cymbals, Roland SPD-20, Roland PM-16, Akai S2000 w/Iomega 250 SCSI Zip, 2 Pintech Silentech Pads (one single zone, one dual zone), Kat F.A.T. Pedal, Pintech K3, Simmons pads.

Comment

Working...
              X