Announcement

Collapse

Lounge Posting Guidelines

E-DRUMMING DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST PRODUCT OR TECHNICAL QUESTIONS!

Having issues? Please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

See more
See less

Is now the right time?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is now the right time?

Hi all

Just before i go and buy a V-Custom with a TD-10 instead of a TD-8 can you answer these questions

Three questions really.

1. Has anyone played the DTXtreme and how does it compare to a TD-10.

2. Has there been a significant price drop by Roland to compete with the DTXtreme.

3. And how much longer do you reckon Roland will stick with the TD-10 for before making the 'TD-12'.

Laughing Boy

You might want to check out the ddrum4. I heard it was da' bomb.

But seriously several people have played the DTXtreme and have been underwhelmed. I did and was. No, no significant (or insignificant) price reduction.

Since Roland didn't introduce anything at NAMM2001 I would think you have AT LEAST another year before a new module is intro'd.

Comment

I prefer the V's over the DTXtreme hands down. I was not impressed with the DTXtreme at all.
      The pads were very loud and overall the kit seemed cheap as far as hardware goes. I don't know, just sitting behind the kit felt a bit awkward. It was actually more fun to play the triggered Remo Practice Pad kit that Drum Tech had (which worked extremely well by the way...).

If comparing to the V's, go with the V's.
      Same goes when comparing it to ddrum. ddrum is much higher quality and it triggers far better. I think both Roland and ddrum have the years of R&D and trial/error experience behind their current products. Yamaha has a way to go yet.

Erik
      SEP

Comment

Before buying the V's I think you should really check out the Hart Dynamic products. Mine work very well with the Roland modules. I played both V sets before buying the Harts. The Harts feel WAY better and the hardware is absolutely top notch. There's my 2 cents.

Comment

Attention Drum-Mart Shoppers:

You really need to spend time with each of the kits yourself and evaluate them with your own criteria. While some products are obvious dogs, the majority of the products available today have their place. If silence of the pads is important, buy a mesh kit. If tweaking your module all day is important, buy a TD-10. If the color red is important, buy a Ddrum, er, I mean Roland kit.

I don't recall anyone other than the NAMM attenders bashing the DTXtreme (since they are probably the only people to lay hands on them). It seems interesting that Sepdrums is one of the most vocal bashers of Yamaha's new offering since he only carries Pintech, Hart, Spacemuffins, Ddrum and Drum Tech. In a previous post a glowing review of the Spacemuffins, in another the 'scoop' that Yamaha uses Spacemuffins technology for the DTXtreme kit. Yet, the Yamaha now ranks worse than a triggered practice pad kit???

Similar negative comments have been made about the http://www.electronicdrums.com/pads triggered practice pad kits, yet Drum Tech's hack of the same concept beat out the DTXtreme?

I'm confused. If the obvoius 'salesman' connection is ignored, by what criteria are these judgements being made?

Comment

I liked the DTXtreme kit i played a lot more then Vpro kit. But i didnt care that it was louder, i liked the fact it had no hot spots, the cymbals were better, and the module gives you the ability to throw in your own samples and prerecorded stuff which for me is a very big thing since i want to call up prerecorded stuff a lot... I guess it depends on what your looking for but the DTXtreme module is the only thing that will do what i want. I might go with other drums but the TD10 just wont do what i want, altho i hear i can buy it then spend another 2000 dollars and ill be able to do it, what a bargain Anyways id do what the guy above says, play the stuff for yourself, and see what you like.

Comment

Originally posted by drumguru:
              Attention Drum-Mart Shoppers:

You really need to spend time with each of the kits yourself and evaluate them with your own criteria....
              I love how once in a blue moon, George will poke his head into the forum and try and be the grand-daddy to us all.

(old-man voice)
              "Settle down, kids...I'm a GURU, you see...see how I called myself "guru?"... that's to let you know that I've forgotten more about drums than you'll ever know...I write books about drums...buy my books..."

Tee hee.
              BINARY

Comment

1. it never is the right time to buy a new product of consumer electronics. Everytime you thin you're in heaven there will be lower prices, new inventions and so on.

2. as you learn from all those posts: different strokes for different folks. Go out and test yourself. With your ears.
                Robert

Comment

Originally posted by puttenvr:
                  1. it never is the right time to buy a new product of consumer electronics. Everytime you thin you're in heaven there will be lower prices, new inventions and so on.
                  I couldn't agree more with this. And I would add also that it's not very wise to go out and be the first to buy any electronic gear or software (To be honest I addmit I have done it and probably I will do it again).
                  Pierre.

p.s. Puttenvr, you're still stuck in post 1000th!

Comment

>>p.s. Puttenvr, you're still stuck in post 1000th!<<

Maybe it's the dredded V1K bug?!

------------------
                    \oo/_ _\oo/

[This message has been edited by rus (edited January 26, 2001).]
                    \oo/_ :mad: _\oo/

Comment

Thanks for questioning my "integrity" Feefer but the Vpro kit i played on was extremly loud whenever you would hit any of the pads in the center. Ive heard from people and read the posts on making it "better" thru module adjustments on scan time etc but even then the same people say its still a LOT louder when they hit the pads in the middle and that they avoid doing so when playing which i think is crazy. The Yamaha kit i played showed no sign of this and to me the hot spot is 1 of the main issues with what i want in a kit. Like i said i might not even go with Yamaha drums since i havent been able to play the 2ply hart heads and drumtech stuff but so far the yamaha module is the only thing that will do what i want. If that pisses you off then im sorry i offended you. Anyways sorry im not part of the id die for Roland fan club even tho i was gonna buy the TD10 since it was the only option, before...

Comment

And im still at a loss why DDrum doesnt make a module that can handle a LOT more pads. Id consider them for sure but id need 2 modules then a sampler on top of it from what ive heard...

Comment

I think that when people leave posts on what we think they should buy, I think they are looking for problems and praises with our equipment. Sometimes you are stuck between two products and maybe product failure will lead you to the other product or something to this effect. You certainly don't buy a car with out test driving it and you shouldn't by a drum set without test playing it. But saying something is junk or outrageous in price because it's not what you have or what you spent is rediculous. Each person needs to make their own decision about the product they will buy. You do get many drum sets with electric kits which in my view make them the best value on the market. In the end though it's the guy with the money that makes the final decision.

Comment

My .02. I have been playing my own set of V-pros for a year+ in live situations and at home for practice and personally; I have had NO problem whatsoever with the so-called hotspot. All of this above is good advice with the best advice to play, listen and decide for yourself. But, pay particular attention to the posts that say, "here is my personal experience." Pay little attention to those who say, "from what I've been told". I don't care which system you buy, it will not change my life in any way. But for your sake, I hope you make an informed decision and purchase the system that works best for you.

Comment

posted by drumguru-

"It seems interesting that Sepdrums is one of the most vocal bashers of Yamaha's new offering since he only carries Pintech, Hart, Spacemuffins, Ddrum and Drum Tech. In a previous post a glowing review of the Spacemuffins, in another the 'scoop' that Yamaha uses Spacemuffins technology for the DTXtreme kit. Yet, the Yamaha now ranks worse than a triggered practice pad kit???
                              "

What's the deal?? I did not bash the Yamaha because I do not sell it. Do you see me in here saying "buy from me, I'm the best, everyone else sucks"???? I actually like the V-Drums (which I do not sell by the way) waaaay better than the DTXtreme. I played both within 20 minutes of each other. I was posting my honest opinion for the folks here that were curious. I went to NAMM to test these products out and give my opinions..(and to see my brothers coffee shop in Hollywood). You can take it as you wish. I am not here to advertise my site or my products...I tried that once and learned real quick - unlike others that kept advetising some club for edrum plans.... I was simply posting my thoughts on a kit that really doesn't stand up to the hype IMHO...

Also - when comparing to the SpaceMuffins, there is a huge difference. While Yamaha may have purchased the rights to manufacture a similar concept (Boom Theory owned the full utility patent), they must have made serious changes. Have you ever played either? The DTXtreme feels nothing like SpaceMuffins, and the hardware is not very heavy duty.

posted by drumguru-
                              "Similar negative comments have been made about the http://www.electronicdrums.com/pads triggered practice pad kits, yet Drum Tech's hack of the same concept beat out the DTXtreme?"

DrumTech has not hacked your pads, ideas, nor have they invaded your intellectual property...maybe they would have if they were called "Drum Techz.. You do not own any rights to, or patents on triggering practice pads....Do you even understand how patents work? I have spoken with you before and we have run into problems with your claims of patent infringements and the stealing of intellectual property. I think you need to chill and sit back as the edrum industry hammers it out and back off....

Erik

[This message has been edited by sepdrums (edited January 26, 2001).]

Comment

Working...
                              X