Announcement

Collapse

Lounge Posting Guidelines

E-DRUMMING DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST PRODUCT OR TECHNICAL QUESTIONS!

Having issues? Please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

See more
See less

TD-10 Sound Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TD-10 Sound Question

Hey, Im pretty set on getting a V-pro set (big ambition, i know) after a combination of reading this group and several reviews, especially the Modern Drummer one. I am hoping I can convince my mom to put up the extra cash. Im about 1800 short of a new v-pro set, but I can worry about that later. My question is about the TD-10 Room Sound settings. When you choose an enviorment for a drum sound, can you pick a different enviorment for each pad, or is it like you pick one enviorment for the entire set? And also, If a sound is Non-V-Edit, does that mean you cant set Control Room parameters for it, as well as COSM settings (tuning, muffling, head type, etc.)?

Thanks guys!

-Jarek
    -V-drum owner soon, hopefully

Originally posted by lethic:
    When you choose an environment for a drum sound, can you pick a different environment for each pad, or is it like you pick one envioronment for the entire set? And also, If a sound is Non-V-Edit, does that mean you cant set Control Room parameters for it, as well as COSM settings (tuning, muffling, head type, etc.)? -Jarek
    One Room Setting per kit. Like real life.

Non V-edit = pitch and delay settings only. Tuning and pitch are similar. Muffling and delay are also similar. Head type, snare strainer, etc. = not available on these.

You still get a good degree of control over non V-edit sounds, like ambience, effects, compression, EQ, mic placement, etc. There are a lot of combinations so with some experimentation, you can really shape your sound quite a bit. Presumably, this is what you want and why you are paying extra money for the "10". A lot of people want the George Jetson model - where the only thing you do is push the start button. Tweaking becomes a nuisance for them. Be informed before buying. If you search real hard, you could maybe get your hands on an electronic version of the manual - right RUS?

This came up in a recent thread. If you think you want to use stand alone (higher quality) effects units and other type signal processing, I'd recommend saving your money and getting a different brain. For me, the TD-10 was the ideal choice. Good luck with your future purchase.
    Kit Pic 1 Kit Pic 2 Kit Pic 3... And FOR SALE I have: 3 PD-9's, MDS-10 purple rack w/cables/pad and cym mounts. See classified posts for details or PM me.

Comment

Im definetly into the tweaking. Infact thats one of the things that seems so much more fun about electronic drums vs. acoustics. With acoustics, theres a certain degree of tweaking you can do, and then you cant do much more, atleast for the price you pay. Meaning, you buy a kit with certain sizes made of certain woods, and you can only tweak the head type and tuning and muffling for a cheap price (without replacing the actual shells). Well with electronics, I think its so cool, you can just change the size of the drum you are working with, or automaticly switch the tunings or wood type or room ambience or anything! its just amazing. I sit here at my house reading about all the adjustments and it makes me so excited, I want to go out and buy one right that moment! Im not really doing any high end recordings or even giging, so its not a big thing about sound quality and effects quality, its just more about flexability. I want to be able to play jazz, and rock, and metal and punk and latin without getting up from my seat. And this set looks just great for that. Thanks for answering my questions.

-Jarek

Comment

Beware: you can tweak e-drums to a certain degree. But you can't have the 36 inch deep snare as Roland promissed. And sometimes differences in sound can't be heard so clear as you hoped you could.

I played the td-10 and was impressed by the V-editing for the snare sounds: shell material, snare strainer LOOSE or TIGHT. Just perfect!

However: I was not impressed with the tom tom and bass drum changes. When you - for instance - want to change the shell depth then the COSM technique only adds some extra low frequencies to the existing sound. Not the power or thud you expect from a deep tom tom or 18 inch deep bass.

So: listen to the Vdrums and its possibilities. If you like it: buy it and just have fun. But don't expect too much from it. Never do with any module
        Robert

Comment

[QUOTE]Originally posted by lethic:
          [B]Hey, Im pretty set on getting a V-pro set (big ambition, i know) after a combination of reading this group and several reviews, especially the Modern Drummer one.

I was just wondering if you have actually played any of the v's (8 or 10) . I would suggest several test drives befor purchasing just to be sure it is for you. Don't get me wrong I'm not trying to turn you off the v's. You can read all you want about something ......but it is alot of money and I would hate to see you buy something your not completely happy with ......

------------------
          ~REDMAN~
          ~REDMAN~

Comment

Nod, I have played the V-pro's in a store two times. I was kind of 'hushed' away from them by the clerk though (Because im so young, i dont think he thought i could afford it, so he just kicked me off). I`ll go in there again, and tell him out front if he wants me to give him 3200 for the set, he`ll let me play them right there. What I didnt get a feel for before was the module, so I wanna just go in and mess around with the module for a while.

-Jarek

Comment

Originally posted by lethic:
              I wanna just go in and mess around with the module for a while.

-Jarek[/B]
              Tell the saleman to piss off and go for it!!!Most of the salesman I've been around when playing them don't know sweet ---- all about them so be ready for this . My quess is you'll probably show him a few things.
              GOOD LUCK and have FUN!!!

------------------
              ~REDMAN~
              ~REDMAN~

Comment

Lethic... I'm sure you've thought of this, but depending on where you live, you might find a member of this site (or another player of Vs nearby...) who would be happy to let you play away.

Where you at boy?

------------------
                \oo/_ _\oo/

[This message has been edited by rus (edited January 30, 2001).]
                \oo/_ :mad: _\oo/

Comment

Im in Vancouver, Washington... I didnt think many drummers were from around here, but I could be wrong. I think there's a guy named Gary Hobbs? or something like that that lives up the street from me. He's supposed to be a good jazz drummer. I dont know if I got his name right, I just met him once. Besides him, I dont even know any drummers (besides a few school mates).

-Jarek

Comment

What about it guys? Out of 1000+ members there HAS to be someone who can help this guy out...

------------------
                    \oo/_ _\oo/

\oo/_ :mad: _\oo/

Comment

Originally posted by rus:
                      What about it guys? Out of 1000+ members there HAS to be someone who can help this guy out...
                      No. We all spent so much money to our e-drums we now simply can't afford fuel for our car
                      Robert

Comment

Originally posted by rus:

OK, OK. Jarek, not only are you welcome to visit me and play my V's, but I'll spring for dinner too.

Are you happy RUS?

Kit Pic 1 Kit Pic 2 Kit Pic 3... And FOR SALE I have: 3 PD-9's, MDS-10 purple rack w/cables/pad and cym mounts. See classified posts for details or PM me.

Comment

Hey Rus..... Great idea (VDrummers are the best for sharing), but I should point out that you had a standing offer to come test drive my V's (a short 30 min drive in the corn desert) before you took the plunge and bought your V's! I'm still in therapy over your rejection of not stopping by! And now you want to subject others to this mental stress?? LOL

And by the way, the offer is still open Rus!
                          Driving a great song is better than driving a great car!!

http://mysite.verizon.net/landin82/

Comment

Originally posted by Boingo:
                            OK, OK. Jarek, not only are you welcome to visit me and play my V's, but I'll spring for dinner too.

Boingy, your a heck of a guy! You will need to put away the six pack though.

Oh, you might also want to read this post by lethic:
                            Hey, Here's something I probebly dont want to test out in a store. How hard can I hit the pads without damaging them? Are they extremely fragile, because I hit fairly hard (cymbals and drums) and I would rather not be breaking pads that cost $200+. Can they withstand a pretty good beating or should I plan on lightening my touch?
                            [This message has been edited by BtnkBndt (edited January 30, 2001).]

Comment

Hehe, best I find out before I play on them

Comment

Working...
                              X