Announcement

Collapse

Lounge Posting Guidelines

E-DRUMMING DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST PRODUCT OR TECHNICAL QUESTIONS!

Having issues? Please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

See more
See less

WndowsMe BITES!!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WndowsMe BITES!!!!!

Sorry for the non Vdrums post, just venting some frustration. I've never had so many lockups in my life!!!! What a piece of SHEESH!!!!

Let's revolt against the major companies:

LINUX, LINUX, LINUX, LINUX

And for e-drums: ....
    Robert

Comment

Windows in general sux. I have re-formatted and re-loaded sooo many times it makes my head spin. I use SolidWorks 2000 solid modeling package on a WIndows NT platform and have tons of lockups. I could ***** all day about how bad WIndows sucks. But Microsoft owns the planet and they are watching my type this right now .

Erik
      SEP

Comment

You'd better watch what you say I think big brother "Bill 8-) Gates " is monitoring this forum too.
        ~REDMAN~

[This message has been edited by redman (edited January 25, 2001).]
        ~REDMAN~

Comment

Windows Millenium is very bugy as an aftermarket software upgrade. If it is pre-installed software it works very well.

Comment

You know, I wouldn't really mind being a beta tester for Microsoft if I could just get a paycheck. But, to pay for WinME and then suffer through countless re-boots and problem solving adventures without a clue to what is wrong gets a little annoying after a while.

Hang in there BB, if you spend the next few weeks locating all of the newest drivers, and you wait another couple of months for the hardware and software vendors to decide who is reponsible for upgrading the drivers, you may get a stable system. If I had it do over again, I would stick with WinSE. Most of the new toys are not worth it. YMMV

Sam Rogers

Comment

I just picked up a whole new system two days ago (yes I finally gave up on my old friend ). The WinMe was pre installed. Both this morning and this afternoon it went into zombie mode (sleep) and I had to shut it down to get it back up. Called the maker of the computer today and hopefully most of the bugs are disposed of? The new system seems very hard and confusing to navigate though. I'm sure I'll get used to it.

Comment

Originally posted by BtnkBndt:
                I just picked up a whole new system two days ago (yes I finally gave up on my old friend ). The WinMe was pre installed. Both this morning and this afternoon it went into zombie mode (sleep) and I had to shut it down to get it back up. Called the maker of the computer today and hopefully most of the bugs are disposed of? The new system seems very hard and confusing to navigate though. I'm sure I'll get used to it.
                This is the PC tech in my talking now: "Sleep mode" in windows has always been buggy. Turn it off. Your PC doesn't need to sleep.

------------------
                \oo/_ _\oo/

[This message has been edited by rus (edited January 25, 2001).]

[This message has been edited by rus (edited January 25, 2001).]
                \oo/_ :mad: _\oo/

Comment

We've had machines do that at work, BtnkBndt. In our case, it was a faulty BIOS setting. That was frustrating to figure out.

I run Win2000, and I like it. It doesn't crash on me. I tried running WinME on a machine at work and not only did it not run all that well, it was a little lame to begin with. I don't see any reason to use it over 98 or 2K.

I semi-agree, Putty, but there are just too many things I need to run from day to day that I simply can't run on Linux.

If I had even a few quality audio apps for linux, I'd make a switch, or at least do a dual-boot scenario, but there's not much out there yet.

BIN

Comment

I was actually stupid enough to buy win ME
                    direct from Microsoft. I could have waited and saved money by just getting it at any store, but noooo, I wanted to be the first one on my block to have this piece of crap.
                    I ended up giving it away for free to one of my friends I had so much trouble with it.

Comment

At work I use 2000, but I'm also evaluating a Linux box that runs all my Windows apps. How? Well, for remote users we have a Citrix Metaframe/NT box out the back. Run a small (1Meg) client on Linux (or a Mac, Unix, Sun, in fact anything with a browser) and you can run any Windows app in a seamless window under Linux, with full access to your local storage.

Well, to be truthful you don't actually run the Windows apps under Linux, you run them on the Citrix box and the screen/window information is sent to the citrix client, which gives the illusion of running the app locally. But it's as good as.

Once I get used to Linux I'll probably switch permanently.

Comment

Originally posted by BINARY:

If I had even a few quality audio apps for linux, I'd make a switch, or at least do a dual-boot scenario, but there's not much out there yet.

BIN
                        A couple of months ago, I ran across a box of Mandrake Linux at Wal-Mart, of all places. It was $25. I figured I could gamble that much even if it didn't work out.

To make a long story short, the two computers that I have installed it on, it works just as advertised. It allows you to build a dual-boot environment with Windows. This has worked flawlessly for me. I can boot either OS with no ill effects. In fact, when in Linux, it mounts my Windows drives so I can access files from there.

I am thrilled with it and consider it the best $25 that I have ever spent. Here is their WEB site.
                        http://www.linux-mandrake.com/

You are correct when you say that there are lots of apps you can't run on Linux yet, but this package does come with lots of functional software that you would have to spend hundreds on to get in Windows.

This is an excellent way to start if you want to get smart about Linux without a major investment.
                        [email protected]

Comment

What does this post have to do with VDrums? Come on guys...
                          Windows isn't perfect but it's an eco-system where everyone has to play nice together. Any of the drivers manufactures, third party vendors, etc. all share responsibility for a smooth ride. Windows just created an easy platform for vendors to develop on and novice user to use...it can't and wasn't intended to police everything you install on it. Hey man, insall W2K or Linux...but don't start this on VDrums.com where we're all drummers and come here for fun.

-Reed

Comment

Originally posted by ReedR:
                            What does this post have to do with VDrums?

There are some similarities between the two companies.

For instance: Shop keepers can only be a Roland dealer if they take a certain amount of Roland products on stock. That's why they would not advice you to buy another e-drum system quickly. Microsoft has agreements with computer sellers and Intell...
                            Robert

Comment

If you don't like the topic of the post nobody says you have to read it. Speaking of police, what are you trying to do? How would you know if I'm not running a program through windows that pertains to my module which intern led me to post this thread? I am glad to hear I'm not the only one having problems. Again: IF YOU DON'T LIKE THE POST, DON'T READ IT!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X