Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

V-cymbals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• V-cymbals

Now I'm probably jumping the gun here but does anyone know it Roland's new V-cymbals are the same rubber surface like the pd-9 & 7? I ask this because I've tried the Hart E-cymbals and could not stand the plastic "thwack" you got from hitting them. I'f Roland has actually found a "silent" way to simulate the feel of an acoustic cymbal...way to go Roland.

My guess would be rubber like the pd's. It is hard to tell.

Comment

After reading the press release I've found that they are rubber. Now this new version of the TDW-1?!?! Hmmmm... But what is this about the current TDW-1 having a C1, C2, & C3 pad setting? Sounds like cymbal pad settings but lots and lots of questions still here. I see the vdrum.com dicussion forum going crazy in the next few days.

Comment

The new Roland cymbals look a bit more like drum pads (which are mounted stiff on a cymbal stand) and only have the top like the form of a real cymbal than flexible plastic cymbals. Right ?
        Robert

Comment

Wrong they do move like a real cymbal to my knowledge as posted in another link ,they are made of a rubber like surface covering a metal plate type deal.
          ~REDMAN~
          ~REDMAN~

Comment

Being that I am not a Roland dealer, it kills me to say that the cymbals feel great. I played them yesterday and again today. They respond like real cymbals, are super quiet, and have 3 zones when used with the tdw-1. The choking seems very slow however. It must be the module. The new Session kit comes with them and a tdw-1.

I watched as a Yamaha pro came into the Roland booth to play the new toys. He was impressed. Sorry DTXTreme, Roland already has one over....man I hate saying that.

On the subject of ecymbals, Drum Tech has some new ecymbals out that are super nice alternitives to Rolands... Look for Drum Tech to enter the game this year with their new stuff...

Hart has improved their ecymbals as well. They are now chokable and look very real. The new rides are all metal with 2 zones and a rubber playing surface...

Ecymbals in general are slowly coming around.

Erik
            SEP

[This message has been edited by sepdrums (edited January 20, 2001).]

Comment

I'm still going with the Xtreme's. I like the layering and other things.
              Drumkat Turbo 4.5, Emulator X3, Superior 2.1, Roland Fantom XR, DTXtreme III, SPD-20 etc.......

Comment

Are you able to get the 3 zones from the new V-Cymbals using only a TD-8?

Comment

I hear ya Jrcel, the Roland module just doesnt seem to be able to do more then standard drums. You get it, and ur stuck with whatever sounds it contains forever and thats pretty much it. Not sure if im gonna get the entire yamaha kit yet but the module does things that just make the Roland modules a non issue for me, they just will not be able to do what i want. So far it seems the main issue everyone has with the DTXtreme is the feel of the pads when hit(they dont like it...), something i pretty much overlooked when i played them because everything else seemed to much better then the vpro kit i played, no hot spots, better cymbals, rack that wont break 3 times a month, a module that will allow me to import the sound of a frog farting on a tuesday afternoon for up to 47 seconds, something i probably wouldnt ever use but the fact i can bring in any sound i want into the module, well thats pretty much the clincher for me as im looking at more then just drum lines for my 3 grand or whatever these greedy pigs want for their different kits. Still not sure if i will actually buy Yamaha drums yet, but when it comes to modules my guess is id be waiting till about 2006 or so till Roland gave me the chance to do what i want, while the Yamaha module will let me do it the day i buy it... I want to use cakewalk to do a lot of prerecorded stuff and then bring that into the module in sample form so i can call up bass lines and keyboard lines etc and basicly take over all keyboard and backing sounds while doin the drum parts. I take it this will be possible or will i not be able to do this for some unknown reason i have not been made aware of??? I walked away from the yamaha kit thinking its module made the TD10 i played seem like it was built in the 40s, or by some drummer who just cant stand the idea of doing something other then just drums... Gasp the horror!

Comment

Originally posted by Indra:
                    the Roland module just doesnt seem to be able to do more then standard drums. You get it, and ur stuck with whatever sounds it contains forever and thats pretty much it.

I want to use cakewalk to do a lot of prerecorded stuff and then bring that into the module in sample form so i can call up bass lines and keyboard lines etc and basicly take over all keyboard and backing sounds while doin the drum parts. I take it this will be possible or will i not be able to do this for some unknown reason i have not been made aware of??? I walked away from the yamaha kit thinking its module made the TD10 i played seem like it was built in the 40s, or by some drummer who just cant stand the idea of doing something other then just drums... Gasp the horror!
                    Lets see, I buy a drum module and I'm pretty much stuck with drum sounds??? Whats so bad about that? There is a midi port. If I wanted other sounds, samples excetera I could expand in that direction.

As far as being stuck with the sounds in the module, some people (most) have just sat down in the store and demoed the V's with the untouched onboard sounds. I quote Binary here, "They suck!". Thats not what was intended with this module (TD-10). The sounds it contains are VERY editable and a base for tweaking to your own personal liking. I have found you can come extremely close to whosever kit you would like to emulate with a little time and patience. Have you ever tried this on an acoustic kit, not a simple task there either.

I believe Roland had the drummer in mind when they built the V-Drums and were not to concered with playing bass lines, keyboards, or strumming guitar chords. All of this can be done outboard if need be by the few who want these features.

Comment

I don't care what anybody says I luv my V's all over again ha , ha (TDW-1) and if I want more sounds I'll buy a sampler when I can afford one . ~REDMAN~
                      ~REDMAN~

Comment

I am a little pissed at Yamaha though, they debued the Extreme's at the summer NAMM and not one advertisement, nothing on any of their web sites. I'm beginning to wonder if it's really going to happen, or if they're just trying to explore whether or not they can make a dent in Roland's market share.
                        Drumkat Turbo 4.5, Emulator X3, Superior 2.1, Roland Fantom XR, DTXtreme III, SPD-20 etc.......

Comment

They have 6 of Yamaha kits at a music shop in Denver so their definatly selling them Jrcel. I find it interesting that the common theme with people defending the TD10 is well if i wanted it to do that i could go spend another 1000 dollars and then i could do it... OK!!! Anyways i was gonna buy a TD10 before cause it seemed to be the best but i prefer the module thats cheaper, and does 10 times as much. Call me crazy but thats just my opinion. As far as spending 3500 dollars to do what the yamaha module will do for 895. I think ill pass.

Comment

Originally posted by jrcel:
                            I am a little pissed at Yamaha though, they debued the Extreme's at the summer NAMM and not one advertisement, nothing on any of their web sites. I'm beginning to wonder if it's really going to happen, or if they're just trying to explore whether or not they can make a dent in Roland's market share.
                            They introduced it at the Frankfurter Messe in Germany, even a couple of months before NAMM. But it was a demo kit then. Rumours said that they would offer the kit from november and other people said that Yamaha would wait until Winter Namm 2001. However at the end of 2000 the first few kits (beta versions ?) appeared.

So, they really excist. But perhaps Yamaha waited for what Roland wanted to offer in the new year. Now Roland only offers red and purple pads ...

I think Yamaha neither would make the same mistake as in 1996 when they had a good e-drum (DTX.20) while other companies like Clavia and Roland just waited and took the best points from it and ereased the mistakes.
                            Robert

Comment

Working...
                            X