Announcement

Collapse

Lounge Posting Guidelines

E-DRUMMING DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST PRODUCT OR TECHNICAL QUESTIONS!

Having issues? Please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

See more
See less

Help me decide

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help me decide

I am interested in drum sounds. I currently have an Alesis DM5, D4 and a Roland XV-3080 with the SRX drum expansion card. However I am lacking really good synthetic sounds. I am after sounds like earlier Ministry, Skinny Puppy and Nine Inch Nails sounds. I have the accoustic end covered with the above listed gear. I want really powerfull snare and kicks... Sounds that really attack. This WILL only be used in a MIDI studio, so no pads necessary. What do you guys suggest? Roland V Drums, DDrum, Yamaha? Please help.

Joe

TD-8 of course !!!!!!!!!!!!
    LESS money , MORE sounds , BETTER sound quality , NO worries !!!!!!!
    JUST GET IT ...........

Comment

Originally posted by Christos:
      TD-8 of course !!!!!!!!!!!!
      LESS money , MORE sounds , BETTER sound quality , NO worries !!!!!!!
      JUST GET IT ...........
      I'll give you more sounds, but I will mention that the TD-10 is both upgradeable and has more editing capability for sounds(am I correct in this guys?)

Better sound quality? I don't think I read that in any TD-8 manual.....

I like a lot of the "realistic" sounds that the TD-10exp has, but recently I'm getting into the noisier 'kits' like "edgy" and the like... I've been messing with the more synthetic sounds as well cause the band I'm with does more electronic sounding stuff... Can't go wrong with the TD-10exp (as far as I'm concerned)

You might want to take a look at ddrum because of the loading samples deal.

(did I just plug clavia?)

------------------
      \oo/_ _\oo/

[This message has been edited by rus (edited January 11, 2001).]
      \oo/_ :mad: _\oo/

Comment

Shame on you RUS .....ha ha
        ~REDMAN~
        ~REDMAN~

Comment

Originally posted by rus:
          (did I just plug clavia?)

Traitor!
          Kit Pic 1 Kit Pic 2 Kit Pic 3... And FOR SALE I have: 3 PD-9's, MDS-10 purple rack w/cables/pad and cym mounts. See classified posts for details or PM me.

Comment

Why not get a second hand stand alone sampler like an AKAI or something.
            Or even a software sampler?

They would give you more flexibility than a roland or ddrum if you don't need to use pads to trigger it.

I think you might even be able to load Vdrum samples into it if you want to go that way.

Comment

Well I have considered a sampler, but I need to generate a sound before sampling it and that is my snag. What attracts me to the Vdrum is the modeling aspect of it. I want noisy aggressive drums.

Does the TD-8 or the TD-10 have more synthetic sounds in them? and compared to the Yamaha and Ddrum stuff?

I am not looking for cheesy synthetic sounds but good solid aggressive ones. I have been on this search for some time and I am getting aggravated. I try and explain this to people in stores and they have no clue. So hopefully, you guys can help!

Thanks

Joe

Comment

Originally posted by EasyJoey:
                What attracts me to the Vdrum is the modeling aspect of it. I want noisy aggressive drums.
                I think for you the Vdrums TD-10 is the best buy. This module has the most edit options to model a sound like you would and with the effect processor you will be able to set up some agressive room, delay and gate sounds. The brain already has some nice ROOM, POWER and other processed sounds as well. Give it a try.

[This message has been edited by puttenvr (edited January 12, 2001).]
                Robert

Comment

Hoary old chestnut time again!

Joe, a minor point - think less about the sound source, more about processing it. Take a sound, filter it, gate it, compress it to hell and the then distort it. The sampler idea is very good - take some sounds, mangle them, and sample them to build up a kit. A few effects and a sampler will be cheaper and give you at least as many hours of fun as a drum brain.

Alternatively, get a cheap sampler and a bunch of sample cd's...

Dave

------------------
                  Simmons SDX (x3), Roland TD7, Alesis DM5, Simmons pads, Hart e-cymbals,
                  Simmons SDX (x2), Roland TD7, Alesis DM5, Simmons pads, Hart e-cymbals,

Comment

Quote: "You need to generate a sound before sampling it".

I might be missing the point, but when I mentioned getting a sampler It was under the intention that you probably wouldn't do any of your own sampling anyway - just using the massive resource on the internet/music shops etc of drum kit's or any sound you want that has already been pre-sampled in professional studio's etc.
                    There are literally hundreds of CD's you can buy fairly cheap that are in AKAI format of any sound you want, almost any drum kit you can think of - somewhere you will be able to get the sample of it in AKAI format - load it into the sampler and there you have it. You could even use PC/MAC based software to edit these sounds on computer then load them back into the sampler as a new sound / kit.

I have access to a sampler and I have never sampled a sound from scratch and at the moment don't intend to. I just keep accumulating cd's of professional samples or even free samples found on the internet.

If you want to also, find any *.WAV file on the net etc and you can convert it to be triggered via the sampler.

If you look around second hand, usually the person selling the sampler will have a heap of samples already stocked up.

Just a thought

Comment

Well that is a lot of good information! I guess when I used to use a sampler, I generated ALL of my sounds from scratch. It was quite time consuming.

I think I may go in that direction. Can any of you provide some good links to downloading samples? Or even good links to where I could buy them?

Also, what samplers would you reccomend. I used EMU in the past..plus I can get an ESI 2000 for around $600 new... or is it worth spending the $$$ on an AKAI? Do these units offer effects built in?

Thanks again guys.

Joe

Comment

OK, well I have decided to buy an AKAI S5000. I have looked on the web and have found NUMEROUS places that have free samples in addition to the CD's mentioned above. I think you guys are right, I will take that approach. Thanks for your help

Joe

Comment

Working...
                        X