Announcement

Collapse

Lounge Posting Guidelines

E-DRUMMING DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST PRODUCT OR TECHNICAL QUESTIONS!

Having issues? Please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

See more
See less

Recording - hardware or software?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recording - hardware or software?

I'm thinking of experimenting with some home recording using my TD10 and a Technics KN6000 midi keyboard. Can anyone point me in the right direction with some comment on using a digital recording deck (eg Roland/Akai etc) versus software such as 'Cakewalk'(I think)or both. are there any good websites you've come across? Any input is appreciated as I don't have a clue where to begin - thanks

Hello Bobke, This is one of those broad range questions that has many answers to. Depending on how much you want to spend and how much recording and what type of recording you want to do has a lot to do with what you need. I looked into this for several months starting with the self contained units then going through the computer/software route then all the way back to the self contained units. For me I ended up getting the Tascam 788 Portastudio hard disk recorder. I looked into the Roland VS-840gx and VS-890s but the 788 was cheaper and could do pretty much if not more than those units. It isn't perfect like most things like this but for me it has everything I wanted to do. Although I haven't tried it yet it has some great guitar effects. Check it out at http://www.tascam.com also check out the excellent user board at http://www.tascambbs.com/cgi-bin/ubbcgi/Ultimate.cgi . That user board is probably the best support board I have ever seen with your answers to questions answered directly from people at Tascam if not within minutes certainly by the end of the day. If only Roland had a support board like that it would greatly enhance the publics comfort level with the company. I hope this helps some.

Brian Kidd

Comment

Are'nt you planning to record any vocals also?

Seriously, if you have got a reasonable PC and can get access to a full copy of cake or something similar, why not go that route, see if you are happy with the results - if not, then look at the hardware: Nothing to loose, only a little (maybe a lot of) time?

Andy
      TD-20, Pair of JBL-Eon15 G2's & Sub

Check out the demo tracks to hear my V's at

http://www.thebrokenangelband.co.uk/

Comment

http://www.harmony-central.com/Recor...cuss.html#disc

What PC/MAC setup do you currently have? If you have a descent PC already it doesn't cost too much.

I went through the same dilemma deciding between an AKAI DPS 12 and setting up my PC with multiple I/O recording.

I ended up going the PC route due to more flexibility with software, the ability to continually upgrade individual pieces and the ease of mastering onto CD.
        Another benefit for me was cost, it was cheaper - I bought the Guillemot ISIS 8in/4out with S/PDIF, and a CD burner I can use for more than just mastering to CD.
        I would have had to pay a lot more for the DPS 12 and then add an expensive external CD burner to match (all this and it can't be upgraded easily).

The downfalls - I can't take my PC anywhere for portable recording and PC's can be a real prick when they crash halfway through a recording.

Even still the PC route I think is the most flexible, luckily mine is quite reliable and it is not necessary to have it portable anymore.
        You really need to research which PC components work well together for recording though, because some video cards and motherboards can cause some problems if all in the same PC.

Comment

Originally posted by bobke:
          I'm thinking of experimenting with some home recording using my TD10 and a Technics KN6000 midi keyboard. Can anyone point me in the right direction with some comment on using a digital recording deck (eg Roland/Akai etc) versus software such as 'Cakewalk'(I think)or both. are there any good websites you've come across? Any input is appreciated as I don't have a clue where to begin - thanks
          If you already have a PC/MAC, consider the Digidesign DIGI 001 package, we're using it with our band, and we're extremely happy with it, in other words, our keyboarder who's operating it is happy with it. ;-)
          It's not that expensive either, and stable as a concrete building on our G4 Mac.
          "Fry that sound effect, Moriarty, we're having it for breakfast"

Comment

Hi All,

I too am planning on recording. From all the threads and info I have absorbed, as a "general rule of thumb" ...

Live - hardware
            Studio - software

Any thoughts
            ???????????????
            -

Comment

Working...
            X