Announcement

Collapse

Lounge Posting Guidelines

E-DRUMMING DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST PRODUCT OR TECHNICAL QUESTIONS!

Having issues? Please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

See more
See less

Shipping & Handling?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shipping & Handling?

Finally found a kit on the net. I agreed to pay for half of the shipping costs. The seller got a quote from UPS @ $400.00 (the whole pro kit, plus throne, drum mat, etc...). Was wondering if this sounds about right. How much should it cost for shipping? Does anyone know of a cheaper alternative to ship from Utah to Idaho other than UPS?? Thanks......

I believe you are being grossly overchanged for shipping. A lot of on-line sellers make you think you gat a great deal, then they get back a lot on elevated shipping costs. You can move a household for $400. Local shipping firms will do it for 1/4 of that amount. Call around.
    Driving a great song is better than driving a great car!!

http://mysite.verizon.net/landin82/

Comment

Wow... That is waaaay too much for US shipping. I sent a kit to England for freight charges just above that - really.

I have shipped a lot of kits this year and the most I was charged for UPS shipping was about $75 for the largest. If you shop around, and depending on the box #'s, weight, distance, and options like blue/red service or Saturday delivery, you should be able to ship a V-Pro for under $100 easy. Sounds like someone wants to make up some profit on shipping.

On a side note, this holiday season I offered kits with free shipping. That sould give you something to compare to....

Erik
      SEP

Comment

I almost fell out of my chair! If you check the UPS website, you could verify the price (need box dimensions, # of boxes and from-to zip codes). You guys are practically neighbors so UPS Ground service should deliver in 1 or 2 days - no need to pay more for expedited service. I paid $60 for the VPro's, 3 boxes, ~100 miles using ground service.

If he is being honest, he may not have original packaging and is taking 3 times the packaging Roland uses. He may also be quoting expedited service (blue, red, etc).

I'm not sure I'd pay to ship a piece of carpet. What exactly is "etc"? - an amp and speaker cabinets? That would run the bill up.
        Kit Pic 1 Kit Pic 2 Kit Pic 3... And FOR SALE I have: 3 PD-9's, MDS-10 purple rack w/cables/pad and cym mounts. See classified posts for details or PM me.

Comment

I am in the process of selling my kit on Ebay. How does the buyer pay shipping? Meaning, I go down to UPS, they tell me how much it is....do I pay and he reinburses me? By this point, he has already paid for the kit. Can I ship it and have him pay on the other end? How does it work? Drummermon....mine came with an amp and cases!! Where were you?
          Roland V-Pro TD20 expanded with V Expressions
          Presonus Firepod
          Reaper
          Acoustic- Spaun drums, Dunnett snare & Paiste Signature Series Cymbals.

Comment

You really need to get shipping costs before hand and include it in the up front payment. www.ups.com has everything you need to get these costed. Or you can estimate it, get agreement and eat any difference.

Pack up everything, get dimensions, weights, zip codes. Enter the data in http://www.ups.com/using/services/rave/rate.html to get a price. The location of the nearest UPS drop off site can be found clicking on "Drop-off". There are plenty of other places that offer drop-off services as well.

Most employers use UPS. Your best bet would be to get your shipping dept to help.

Kit Pic 1 Kit Pic 2 Kit Pic 3... And FOR SALE I have: 3 PD-9's, MDS-10 purple rack w/cables/pad and cym mounts. See classified posts for details or PM me.

Comment

Hey all...I am going to be shipping my stuff to Texas. The URL for the website to determine prices is kind of hard to figure out. I don't know if UPS will take that rack in the case. It may be to big. Who has actually done some shippin g with cases? Did you do extra packing over the cases? I am also shipping a JBL amp. Do you think $200 will cover the kit plus cases and the amp? I am sending five packages. If it is over $200 I will refund the difference. Is this fair? Just looking for opinions...Thanks!
              Presonus Firepod
              Reaper

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Gardner:
                Hey all...I am going to be shipping my stuff to Texas. The URL for the website to determine prices is kind of hard to figure out. I don't know if UPS will take that rack in the case. It may be to big. Who has actually done some shippin g with cases? Did you do extra packing over the cases? I am also shipping a JBL amp. Do you think $200 will cover the kit plus cases and the amp? I am sending five packages. If it is over $200 I will refund the difference. Is this fair? Just looking for opinions...Thanks!
                Anything over a certain dimension size and anything over 75lbs. gets you into a whole different shipping catagory. I shipped 10 boxes from Ohio to Washington (the state) and all were under 75lbs and within the dimension requirement. It only cost the guy $265.00 fully insured as well. I'm guessing that the amp is quite heavy. That will probably go at a higher rate. The best way to figure it out is to take the dimensions of your boxes and estimate the weight unless you have a way of measuring (ie: a bathroom scale will give you a ball park weight) and call UPS. This is what I did and the customer service rep was within $10 of the actual shipping cost.

P.S. - Remember your're not charged more for more boxes. You're charged more for the package being over 75lbs. and for over dimensioned packages.

[This message has been edited by Eric (edited January 09, 2001).]

Comment

I did some measuring last night and I do not think UPS will work. The amp is not the problem, it only weighs about 40 lbs. The problem is the rack and the case its in. Its between 24-36 inches long as well as high. What have you guys done for shipping that are shipping racks?
                  Presonus Firepod
                  Reaper

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Gardner:
                    I did some measuring last night and I do not think UPS will work. The amp is not the problem, it only weighs about 40 lbs. The problem is the rack and the case its in. Its between 24-36 inches long as well as high. What have you guys done for shipping that are shipping racks?
                    I shipped a Gibraltar rack with 2 46" curved bars, and 3 36" legs, plus all the clamps and symbal booms for a 7 piece drum set with 5 cymbals. How did I do it?

Take it apart.

------------------
                    \oo/_ _\oo/

[This message has been edited by rus (edited January 10, 2001).]
                    \oo/_ :mad: _\oo/

Comment

You don't think I thoughtabout that? I have to ship the case.The case is exceeding the dimensions.The rack goes inside the case...
                      Presonus Firepod
                      Reaper

Comment

Steven: Is the buyer paying for shipping or are you?

Comment

The buyer is paying for shipping. He called and left me a message that he has an account with UPS. The issue here is that I am extremely ignorant on shipping equipment. The online pricing tool shows the rack and case excededing to girth measurement(kind of like my ex). How close to they stay to these guidelines? Is there a better way to ship?He has an acct for UPS, this would be ideal if they would take it...SG
                          Presonus Firepod
                          Reaper

Comment

FYI Steve, you can ship larger packages by airlines if they are too large for UPS. If you ship by the slower methods 2 or 3 days the shipping is not really any more than UPS.
                            The drawback is that you have to take it to the airport and the receiver has to pick it up on the other end. Most airlines allow collect shipping so that you can let the guy at the other end pay for it when picking up. You might get a quote just to check it out. We ship Delta all the time where I work and it works well for us.

[This message has been edited by Arriguy (edited January 11, 2001).]

Comment

Here's what my traffic guys tell me. I'm assuming you are shipping ground - not air. 130" is the magic number. You are dealing with 5 dimensions.
                              1. length
                              2. girth (width + width + height + height)

If they add up to more than 130" UPS won't take it. Obviously you can't shrink the case, so that's the way it is.

Don't you know anyone who works where the shipping department handles stuff for their employees? Find one and tell them you want to be their friend (and you need a favor).

If you have to ship by truck, you should find a well known carrier, call them, get instructions and drop it off. That gets a little tricky cause you can select someone who may take 2 weeks to get it there. If you have dims, weight and to/from details, I can see if I can get a recommended carrier for you. Or maybe someone a bit closer to you could get their traffic dept to help out with a suggestion. I'm on the other side of the tracks.
                              --------
                              Here's another option: I'm told Fed-X offers a slower service with a higher dim restriction than UPS. "Packages up to 150 lbs. each, and up to 108" in length; 130" in length plus girth.*" check out http://www.fedex.com/us/services/waystoship/ground.html or call your nearest Fed-X for help. Of course you realize I am now working on commission.

[This message has been edited by Boingo (edited January 11, 2001).]

Comment

Working...
                              X