Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Metronome for stage use?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Metronome for stage use?

Does anybody use a metronome on stage? I'm looking for an idea that would allow me to have a pre-programmed tempo reference for stage use. I don't want to wear headphones and obviously I can't have the click come through the monitors. I have heard of a couple metronomes that use LED's but I can't seem to find anything but practice based metronomes. I would like to program all of the tempos that we will use in a performance and be able to reference them easily as we go.

Any ideas?

TIA

Check out the Tama Rhythm Watch. Havent used one myself but have heard alot of people praise them.

Heres the only info I could come up with.
    http://www.xs4all.nl/~marcz/Metronome.html

[This message has been edited by BtnkBndt (edited January 08, 2001).]

Comment

Originally posted by rherhuth:
      Does anybody use a metronome on stage?
      Why should I? I play my snare on the 2 and 4 so the audience can clap on the 1 and 3.

Why don't you use the internal click from the Vdrums on your monitor (if you don't want to wear headphones or a small in-ear system)
      Robert

Comment

Originally posted by puttenvr:
        I play my snare on the 2 and 4 so the audience can clap on the 1 and 3.
        Man did that use to drive me nuts when they did that. Now I tune it out and watch how many are 2/4, 1/3 and 1.5/3.5. I get a kick out of it.
        Kit Pic 1 Kit Pic 2 Kit Pic 3... And FOR SALE I have: 3 PD-9's, MDS-10 purple rack w/cables/pad and cym mounts. See classified posts for details or PM me.

Comment

Originally posted by puttenvr:
          Why should I? I play my snare on the 2 and 4 so the audience can clap on the 1 and 3.
          I don't want to start another religion thread, but this happens at my church and it drives me absolutly NUTS! I mean, there's 4 singers standing right up front, clapping on the backbeat... WHY CAN'T PEOPLE SEE THAT?!?!

grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

------------------
          \oo/_ _\oo/

[This message has been edited by rus (edited January 09, 2001).]
          \oo/_ :mad: _\oo/

Comment

Yeah, mine happens in a Church setting also. At least our worship team can clap to the beat. The congregation (about 300-400 at a service x 3 services) is a sight to behold. Clapping all over the place, swaying every which way, singing off key, wrong words, hands flying ....

The praise band will inconspicuously have eye contact with one another and, if you look close enough, you will detect a slight smile on their faces. I'm not trying to be derogatory or anything, but people is people and ya gotta love them. In this case the off clapping doesn't really matter. At first it was breaking my concentration. Some weeks we only get about 90 minutes of practice to do ~8 numbers. That's rough on a new guy.
            Kit Pic 1 Kit Pic 2 Kit Pic 3... And FOR SALE I have: 3 PD-9's, MDS-10 purple rack w/cables/pad and cym mounts. See classified posts for details or PM me.

Comment

When you find the audience clapping across the beat there's a failsafe way of solving the problem -play a number in something like 5/4 or 7/8 time. If you can spot someone in the audience still clapping, sign them up for percussion!

Comment

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Boingo:
                [B]The congregation (about 300-400 at a service x 3 services) is a sight to behold. Clapping all over the place, swaying every which way, singing off key, wrong words, hands flying ....

That's not as bad as a situation we had.. We once had an elderly songleader in my church, and he quoted a hymn number, gave the musicians another hymn number, while he sang another hymn altogether... believe it or not... and finished the hymn without knowing it! Don't even mention the clapping, it was utter chaos!

Fon
                Fon.

TD8 with PD7's, 2 KD7's (From previous TD7)
                Tama Rockstar with mix of Sabian, Zildjian and Paiste.

Comment

Working...
                X