Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Right-brained or Left-brained?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Right-brained or Left-brained?

I'm looking for comments on setting up a V-Custom kit. I currently have my TD-8 brain on the left side arm, just to the left of (and slightly under) the hi-hat pad. I'm thinking of rearranging my entire rack, and relocating the brain to the end of the right arm, next to the 'floor' tom and ride cymbal. I think it'll be handier there and less obtrusive, plus give me a bit more flexibility in positioning the hi-hat and stick pad..

Does anyone have comments, pro or con, for either configuration?

I play right handed. The brain is set up on the left because I find if I have to tweak the settings (ex: vol sliders, headphone vol, etc), I can continuing playing the ride and cover the snare with my right hand while I make the adjustments with my left. It would be difficult for me to do this the other way around.

[This message has been edited by Boingo (edited January 07, 2001).]
    Kit Pic 1 Kit Pic 2 Kit Pic 3... And FOR SALE I have: 3 PD-9's, MDS-10 purple rack w/cables/pad and cym mounts. See classified posts for details or PM me.

Comment

I totally agree with Boingo.
      But it might also depend on how often you have to make tweaks while playing.Personally,I do lots of them,but I know people who'd keep the same settings and go on playing.If that's your case ,you could place the brain anywhere without having any problem.
      POSTNUKLEAR
      Nabil

Comment

I have my brain on the left as well.

Not for editing while playing (I never have to) but just for some surety (looking if all the leds still flash ) and for changing the programs/kits.

On the right side on my rack also are more vibrations (cymbals/more toms) which - I think - aren't good for the module.
        Robert

Comment

Originally posted by Boingo:
          I play right handed. The brain is set up on the left because I find if I have to tweak the settings I can continue playing the ride and cover the snare with my right hand while I make the adjustments with my left. It would be difficult for me to do this the other way around.

I play right-setup too. But if peeps work on getting as coordinated w/their off-hands & feet, it won't matter. My question is: I wonder if the (floor tom/toms for a right hander's setup will leave enough room for the module?

I'm still unable to setup, 'till my 6 SC-BALRM's (L-Rods) come in from Gibraltar.

------------------
          Thank Ye,
          Alex.
          Thanx. Alex & me V's! http://photos.yahoo.com/flexapr

Comment

Originally posted by Alexander:
            if peeps work on getting as coordinated...
            Peeps ! Now looky hear! That's like questioning my manhood! Nobody calls me a peep.

I'm perfectly capable of playing with either hand while adjusting the brain. Like I've pointed out in other posts, I'm an old fart - I play traditional grip. Perhaps I should have said awkward instead of difficult.
            Kit Pic 1 Kit Pic 2 Kit Pic 3... And FOR SALE I have: 3 PD-9's, MDS-10 purple rack w/cables/pad and cym mounts. See classified posts for details or PM me.

Comment

I moved mine over to the right basically for the same reason your thinking about. I wanted to get my HH pad in the most comfortable position and it later gave me the opportunity to add my SPD20 on the left side as well. I have no problems making changes on the fly and have noticed no obvious problems due to vibration.

Comment

I actually have mine mounted left. But I have a different situation. I use acoustics and also a standard hat stand (which is mounted to the rack). I have raised the lower bar and mounted the module to it almost horizontaly. The module is actually lower than the hats. Yet it is very accessable. To each thier own I guess.

Comment

I checked my frame and pad set-up, which is: 2 toms on top front bar; 2 cymbal arms on lower front bar; tom between 2 cymbal arms on right bar; hihat, stick trigger and brain on upper left bar, snare on lower bar. If I move the brain to the right side arm, I could shift everything else leftward and place a third cymbal on the front bar (the 'floor tom' could be mounted closer to the upright and pivoted towards me). This would give enough room for the brain on the right end of the bar, and give me more flexibility in positioning the hihat. Aesthetically, I think it would look nicer, as the brain and cables would be less conspicuous.

OTOH, I'm also seriously considering the Gibraltar 350GC rack (see the 'Products' forum!), which comes with 2 side arms, 4 multiclamps and 2 cymbal booms. This would give me just enough hardware (with my current clamps and cymbal booms) to lose all of the Roland plastic hardware! hmmmm....

Comment

Ya know, I never thought of mounting anything on the lower front bar.

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck:
                      Ya know, I never thought of mounting anything on the lower front bar.
                      I have my 2nd crash over there, but next time I get a chance, I'm going to move it up to the top bar cause there's too much 'play' in the boom arm cause I have it almost fully extended.

rus

------------------
                      \oo/_ _\oo/

[This message has been edited by rus (edited January 08, 2001).]
                      \oo/_ :mad: _\oo/

Comment

I mounted the stock cymbal arms on the lower front bar so the angler between the 2 sections is in front of the upper bar. They're plenty long to sit just how I like 'em. I figured there might be less crosstalk between toms and cymbals if they were mounted on separate bars. And it looks cooler IMO; the 2-section cymbal booms are just too long to mount on the top bar.

Comment

Does anyone have their cymbals mounted on the uprights (legs)? If so, what effect does it have on the kit? (I hate that word) If not, can anyone speculate (I love that word) on what effect it MIGHT have on the kit (still hate that word)

rus

------------------
                          \oo/_ _\oo/

[This message has been edited by rus (edited January 08, 2001).]
                          \oo/_ :mad: _\oo/

Comment

Slightly off target but For whatever reason the new Yamaha DTXtreme (I hate that word) has the cymbals mounted on the legs. Actually, I think they are the legs. Anyway I saw a Harmony Central video feed that made it out to be an "improved" feature. Whatever... I haven't tried it but I have pondered.

Comment

Working...
                            X