Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our vBulletin Talk section for answers to vBulletin related FAQs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Left Handers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mkok View Post
    I’m left handed so yes left handed drummers are better lol
    me too
    Sonor S-classix birch
    Paiste and Sabian Cymbals;
    Mapex ProM ->EAD10; Mesh heads; Yamaha Top Triggers, Gen16 and L80 cymbals;

Comment

Originally posted by markchadwickie View Post
      Hi all, I think I posted here months back saying I'm left handed and play a left handed kit..... Well, not anymore

I now play a right handed kit playing open handed. I've left the ride over on the right, so switch to left hand on the snare when playing ride and when playing hihat I've left on the hihat and right on the snare.

The only change to a "regular" right handed setup is I've lowered the hats to be roughly level with the snare (similar to Simon Phillips setup)

Why did I change? 2 things; a) to be able to play regular setups as they are and b) was struggling with my kick technique and wanted to spend time on it so thought I may as well switch before and put the effort into my right (weak) foot

Am I happy I switched? Very much so. It's making me work both hands and has tested my (limited) independence. Also, as an added bonus, my hihat foot (left, more dominant) is getting involved much more in my playing
      Hi Mark that is really interesting mate. You must be somewhat ambidextrous though in your hands and feet.
      There's no way I could change over just like that.

Comment

Originally posted by John.b View Post

Hi Mark that is really interesting mate. You must be somewhat ambidextrous though in your hands and feet.
        There's no way I could change over just like that.
        As a lefty I've already felt a little ambidextrous.... As long as it's defined as equally bad with both limbs
        Equipment: Roland TD-9, millennium mps-650, A2E kit, vh-11, lemon and millennium cymbals, SD3 and Steinberg ur22 mkii

Comment

I don't think it matters. I mean I'm 10000% better with my left hand now compared to the right hand when I started playing drums. Likewise I can play the bassdrum with my left foot much, much better than I could with my right foot when I started. It's not even comparable.

Practicing drums has 99.99999% effect on your drumming capability on that limb while being left/right handed/footed has 0.00001%

If you are right handed but force your self to play left handed it will be natural to you after a while. It's just muscle memory.
          Last edited by frankzappa; 08-13-22, 11:51 AM.

Comment

I think frankzappa has it - you might have natural ability to be ambidextrous but only practice will make anything of it

As others, I've always been mixed up - left for some things, right for others. Seeing Billy Cobham play open-handed in the early 1970s started me off and I've always felt comfortable with left hand on hi-hat and, more recently ride, right foot on kick.

There is an interesting interview somewhere on YouTube with Ringo where he explains his 'lefty on a right kit' and how that influenced his drum fills.
            TD-50-X, Jobeky Prestige Custom shells, SPD-SX Pro, Nord Drum P3, SPD-30, Paiste Signature cymbals, DW 6000+9000 hardware, Lewitt LCT 140 cymbal mics, Allen & Heath ZED10 mixer, Fohhn Xperience III drum PA, Fohhn XT-33 active speaker drum monitor, Porter & Davies Gigster tactile monitor drum throne

Comment

I did not expect that this subject would be this interesting. Good on ya guys.

Comment

Lefty here (and not lefty-open-handed). I'm full backwards.

Met the original Marilyn Manson drummer years ago -- he was fully lefty. Same with the drummer of Hanson. And from what I remember, Carter Beauford is lefty-open-handed. Oh, and Josh from Coheed and Cambria (amazing technique).

Toontrack Superior Drummer 3.0 / Reaper 5+6
                DIY hybrid kit (Sonor kit / Roland / Yamaha, DDT MS-140c snare, etc)
                Roland TD-9 / eDRUMin
                youtube.com/chriscauldermusic

Comment

Oh yea I forgot Carter. A fine drummer. I did'nt know he was a lefty. Thanks for that.
                  Last edited by John.b; 09-16-22, 10:12 AM.

Comment

Working...
                  X