Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our vBulletin Talk section for answers to vBulletin related FAQs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

was there a song that made you want to be a drummer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jimorlando View Post
    The Who, Cream, Santana, Jimi Hendrix and probably more. I loved drums, had no money but I was able to put this kit together with a $1 bass drum, and $4 snare, a borrowed tom, and some old cymbals set up on modified music stands.
    And a conveniently placed and well stocked liquor shelf to boot!!
    Ludwig Acoustics, Paiste Cymbals, Drum Brothers Djun Djuns, ddrum4 Electronic + Pintech Cymbals, 2Box Di5, MegaDrum56

Comment

Originally posted by kenjwright View Post

And a conveniently placed and well stocked liquor shelf to boot!!
      😂, I was only 16 and they were empty bottles that I put there in my lame attempt to be 😎 cool. I’m still making the attempt.
      Equipment: TD-30KV, DW9000 hardware, ROC-N-SOC Throne, Behringer ULTRATONE K3000FX Amp, JBL EON 615 Powered Speaker, Yamaha MG06X. 1965 Ludwig Super Classic. Black diamond pearl. Zildjian K Custom Dark cymbals, DW 7000 hardware, DW 9000 kick pedal.

Comment

Anything by the Dave Clark 5. Loved him sitting so proud over his red Rogers kit!
        Acoustic: FrankenKit - Late '60s Slingerland Kit, Ludwig snare and floor tom, add-on Pearl toms, Zildjian, Sabian and Paiste cymbals. DW5000 double pedal.
        Electric: Roland TD-25 for snare, cymbals and bass, Alesis DM-10 with Bluejay sounds for toms. Variety of Roland pads for cymbals and drums.

Comment

Originally posted by jnorris View Post
          Anything by the Dave Clark 5. Loved him sitting so proud over his red Rogers kit!
          When my best friend purchased a new drum set, I bought his old set for $10. It was a really, really poor quality set to begin with and it was falling apart.
          A year later, after playing almost every day, my father said if I got good grades on the next report card, he would take me to buy a new set.

The only set I would consider (because of Dave Clark) was a Rogers set. I told the shop owner I would like a black set and he said he thought he had one in stock.
          He didn't. It turned out to be gun metal with blue swirl color. It was the only Rogers set he had and his was the only music shop within an hours drive.
          So this set had to be it.
          My father also bought Krut brand cymbals that had a habit of turning themselves inside out if you hit them too hard.

I owned and played that set on hundreds, (really), of playing/paying jobs in the mid-upstate NY and Boston areas for the next 27 years. With playing job money, I soon bought a full set of really nice A. Zildjan cymbals and Remo oil heads.I was a happy drummer.

In the early 80's, I stripped off the vinyl wrap, sanded it down and applied a coat of medium stain and a coat of Poly.
          By the late 90's, that set was so used up that after I bought a floor sample Roland TD-20 set, I eventually removed all the hardware and threw the Rogers shells on a bon fire.

That old Rogers R-360 set had allowed me have a long and wonderful career as a band and fill-in drummer that learned how to play rock, rock and roll, albums rock, jazz, swing, country, country swing, polkas, square dances and originals.

Comment

Great story there mate. Not familiar with Krut cymbals over here. Turning inside out would save you mounting them upside down. If you hit them hard again would they return to normal lol. That could catch on. Not on HiHats though.

Comment

Perkussion's great post sent me looking for Krut cymbals - I've a feeling I might have had something like these on my very first kit.

Google search hits reckon they were made by Premier in England (!)

Some people seem to like the rides and I came across a video of one:
              https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xRyvNJac6DU
              TD-50 - X upgraded, Jobeky Prestige Custom shells, SPD-SX, Nord Drum P3, SPD-30, Paiste Signature cymbals, DW 6000+9000 hardware, Lewitt LCT 140 cymbal mics, Allen & Heath ZED10 mixer, Fohhn Xperience III drum PA, Fohhn XT-33 active speaker drum monitor, Porter & Davies Gigster tactile monitor drum throne

Comment

Well that's news to me Will. I have had 3 Premier kits in my time and none came with cymbals. Not even as extras lol.

Anyway the vid did not show any evidence of inversion. Perhaps it wasn't being hit hard enough. !!!!!!!! Give it to me !!!!!!!
                It probably needs some butt end treatment
                Last edited by John.b; 06-13-22, 12:08 PM.

Comment

Thanks John.b - that made me chuckle and brightened my morning

TD-50 - X upgraded, Jobeky Prestige Custom shells, SPD-SX, Nord Drum P3, SPD-30, Paiste Signature cymbals, DW 6000+9000 hardware, Lewitt LCT 140 cymbal mics, Allen & Heath ZED10 mixer, Fohhn Xperience III drum PA, Fohhn XT-33 active speaker drum monitor, Porter & Davies Gigster tactile monitor drum throne

Comment

It's good to lighten someones load mate

Comment

Beer by Psychostick

Comment

In The Air Tonight- Phil Collins

Comment

Oh!
                          I forgot about 'Time Further Out' with a life-changing, (for me), drum solo by Joe Morello and the Dave Brubeck Quartet.
                          It was released in 1961, but I know my older sister bought it about 1963 or 64, so I guess 'Far More Drums' is actually the song
                          that made me want to play drums.

Available here to hear:
                          https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LiFR2RBhy7U
                          Last edited by Perkussion; 06-24-22, 10:17 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by John.b View Post
                            Great story there mate. Not familiar with Krut cymbals over here. Turning inside out would save you mounting them upside down. If you hit them hard again would they return to normal lol. That could catch on. Not on HiHats though.
                            I still own a 14" Krut cymbal. Of all the cymbals I've ever owned, it is seriously the worst piece of ...krut... out there.
                            Acoustic: FrankenKit - Late '60s Slingerland Kit, Ludwig snare and floor tom, add-on Pearl toms, Zildjian, Sabian and Paiste cymbals. DW5000 double pedal.
                            Electric: Roland TD-25 for snare, cymbals and bass, Alesis DM-10 with Bluejay sounds for toms. Variety of Roland pads for cymbals and drums.

Comment

“News” by Dire Straits. I love the song and especially the last 20 seconds. Even it’s just a beat it sounds and feels so great. Pick Withers is such a great drummer!
                              eDrums: ATV EXS-5 & artist series, Pearl Mimic Pro, 2Box DrumIt 5 | aDrum: Pearl | Soundcraft Ui24R | Cubase Pro, WaveLab Pro, SpectraLayers Pro, Studio One, MixBus 32C

Comment

I was just scrolling through YouTube one night and got transfixed watching drum cam footage of Eloy Cassegrande from Sepultura, he’s got a brutal physical style that got me hooked right in. I’m a washed up has been bodybuilder, now I can add never has been drummer to the list. Did an A2E conversion took some lessons and never looked back, just wished I’d took it up sooner.
                                A2E dirt cheap 5 piece kit with Jobeky dual triggers.
                                A2E Millenium low volume cymbals (cheap triggers off eBay crash 16”/18”, 14” hi-hat ) goeydrum 3 zone kit on 20” ride, goeydrum hi-hat controller
                                TD17 module.

Comment

Working...
                                X