Announcement

Collapse

Lounge Posting Guidelines

E-DRUMMING DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST PRODUCT OR TECHNICAL QUESTIONS!

Having issues? Please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

See more
See less

My First Drum Book

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My First Drum Book

ericf4 and I were discussing our respective starts in drumming the other day. My first recollection was watching a Rod Stewart concert on TV in the late 70s. I was taken in by the drummer. I started collecting cardboard boxes for drums and I was hooked. Eric reminded me that I was most likely watching Carmine Appice. That led to remembering my first ever drum book was Carmine’s. I had to track it down for nostalgia’s sake. I found a decent copy complete with poster and floppy 33 records. So cool.

E84B0B4F-9CDC-4912-AC62-ABFBD5D08381.jpeg
    0F322771-4DE5-46C6-86C7-1AC5FA0FF51B.jpeg
    61C3268C-D8EA-4F9E-B1D6-B7A675420452.jpeg
    Last edited by Mylo; 05-30-20, 02:32 PM.
    PDP Concept Maple A2E with Bum Wraps; Pearl Crystal Beat Octobans; Jobeky AI dual-zone triggers; drum-tec Real Feel and Billy Blast Ballistech 3.0 mesh heads; ATV cymbals; Gibralter hardware; Offset double pedal; DW Remote hi-hat stands; Yamaha FC7; two eDRUMin10 devices; Alesis Strike Amp 8; Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 3rd Gen; Intel NUC with Windows 10 Pro; SD3

hahaha love it!!

Comment

brilliant - that was my first book too. i’d forgotten about those thin records in it.

ted reed’s syncopation for the modern drummer was 2nd by a few weeks for me
      Roland TD9 (KD8, FD9), Yamaha DTX Multi12 (KT10, HH65, TP100), Zendrum EXP (Stompblock) || Scarlett 6i6 > imac; 2i4 >macbook || Superior Drummer 3, Logic || Yamaha HS7s, Yamaha DBR10, ATH-M30x || DIY compact a-kit, Mapex Meridian, Zildjian Ks, some As and Sabians and ... || youtube

Comment

Originally posted by jackodrum View Post
        brilliant - that was my first book too. i’d forgotten about those thin records in it.

ted reed’s syncopation for the modern drummer was 2nd by a few weeks for me
        syncopation was my first book. I remember playing through the book on a practice pad while tapping my foot on every quarter note.

humble beginnings.
        Pearl Mimic Pro, A2E Tama Superstar, Jobeky side triggers on the snare and 8” Tom, Jobeky AI triggers on the rest, VH-13 Hi-Hat, ATV 18” Ride, 2x Roland CY-14C Crashes, Roland CY-13R/C Splash, Roland CY-15R China, 2x Roland BT-1 for Side Stick and Cowbell, Sony MDR-7506

Comment

Was Carmine playing electric back then? That drum on the right that looks like a concert tom has a bottom with what looks like a TRS cable plugged into it.
          PDP Concept Maple A2E with Bum Wraps; Pearl Crystal Beat Octobans; Jobeky AI dual-zone triggers; drum-tec Real Feel and Billy Blast Ballistech 3.0 mesh heads; ATV cymbals; Gibralter hardware; Offset double pedal; DW Remote hi-hat stands; Yamaha FC7; two eDRUMin10 devices; Alesis Strike Amp 8; Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 3rd Gen; Intel NUC with Windows 10 Pro; SD3

Comment

Premier Modern Drum Tutor 'copyright 1972', which I still have and am looking at it now.

Comment

Originally posted by Mylo View Post
              Was Carmine playing electric back then? That drum on the right that looks like a concert tom has a bottom with what looks like a TRS cable plugged into it.
              This month’s Modern Drummer covers Carmine’s Realistic Rock kit... wow how timely. And it answered my question:

”There are also a pair of Joe Pollard Syndrum electronic drums installed inside the shells of the 6" and 8" concert toms. Joe Pollard’s Syndrums were the first commercially available electronic drums. They were introduced the same year as this set and were considered extremely cutting-edge at the time.”
              Last edited by Mylo; 06-17-20, 09:55 PM.

Comment

nice synchronicity and extremely well spotted in the first place too
                Roland TD9 (KD8, FD9), Yamaha DTX Multi12 (KT10, HH65, TP100), Zendrum EXP (Stompblock) || Scarlett 6i6 > imac; 2i4 >macbook || Superior Drummer 3, Logic || Yamaha HS7s, Yamaha DBR10, ATH-M30x || DIY compact a-kit, Mapex Meridian, Zildjian Ks, some As and Sabians and ... || youtube

Comment

i had that realistic rock book when i first started playing too
                  Alesis STRIKE, PD-85 rack toms, PD-105BK floor tom, Mapex snare with ISM-6, PDP MX 22" kick with ISM, iron cobra 900 double pedal, hart e-cymbal2, CY-5 as splash, CY-8, CY-12R, L80 hi-hat with cheap-o trigger with goedrum hi hat controller. EZdrummer2+EZX/Addictive Drums 2 VSTs.

Comment

Stick control was my first
                    Roland TD30 module on TD20 kit SD3 with various kits. Pearl Masters Kit, Yamaha 9000RC original natural wood finish. Cymbals from Zildgian Pasite and Sabian. Loads of percussion bits. Cubase and Wavelab always current versions.

Comment

Back when I was busy with drum machines (I know this is sacrilege but I’m a guitar/synth player) I found a book that was an encyclopedia of rock drum riffs. It had one or two bars of the verse/chorus riffs plus the full score for Tom Sawyer (or YYZ, I forget).

I was also using it to teach myself drumming. I kept it in a bag with a Machinedrum and both were taken in a burglary ten years ago.

I’m guessing the licensing fees didn’t allow for a second printing. And I’ve never found a reference to it online.

Do any of you recall this book? I think it was by Mel Bay.

Comment

My drum teacher assigned me Realstic Rock in the mid 90's along with Stick Control, Reed's Syncopation and Bellson's Reading 4/4

Carmine's book was the first rock beats I played.
                        Ludwig Accent 5 piece kit | UFO Drums ebridges, 3 ply mesh heads and rim protectors | Yamaha PCY135 on Ludwig stand with DIY hall effect sensor | Yamaha PCY155 ride | DIY Pintech 2 zone crashes with Goedrums piezo's - Myrk membranes| eDRUMin ED10 | Cantabile VST host | Superior Drummer and Jamstix kits | Alto TS115a monitors | IK ARC 3

Comment

Working...
                        X