Announcement

Collapse

Lounge Posting Guidelines

E-DRUMMING DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST PRODUCT OR TECHNICAL QUESTIONS!

Having issues? Please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

See more
See less

You Think a new Flagship expected next year, 2021?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You Think a new Flagship expected next year, 2021?

As im still playing and recording with my beloved TD30, there are issues that seems to be addressed in the newer models, namely hot spot, and perhaps a better sound engine, though i haven't played the new generation, so not sure, Not always newer is better, hell TR808 kills any drum machine ever made since then...

However both 50 and 27 suffer from things i can not live with- 50 is very limited in sounds and 27 is not deep enough both in editing and and in Analog I/O, plus it's a little plastic box. I like robust pro level gear as thats my livelihood.

According to the timeline of V Drum releases, a new flagship comes every 4 years or thereabouts.
    It is my feeling that next year should come a new model, perhaps TD60, that will get the vast library of sounds that the 50 lacks but will have all the editing power, analog and digital I/O galore, perhaps a low latency sound card when used as a VST Trigger+audio interface (right now it sucks compared to Apogee in latency) and probably more surprises.

What ya all think? wait with my upgrade another year or start moving forward now?
    Last edited by Rea; 05-30-20, 11:47 AM.

Likely, but will depend on the virus and economy. Five years has been done before, but I was thinking they’d go six on the 50. Guess it depends how hard competition is hurting them.
    Alan
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    website | youtube | facebook | group | newsletter | message | recommendations

Comment

Originally posted by Rea View Post
      Not always newer is better
      This is true, haven't found much new on the market since a while. Unfortunately you see a pattern with Roland, there is never big gap on new flagship in term of sound engine, if you compare to td-10 to now, it's essentially the same or less,( imports sample exist since 10-20 years on the market ) all this is artificially made from synth base approach, that made Roland sound. Maybe they will change on the next one, who knows.
      Last edited by Chris K; 05-30-20, 01:44 PM.

Comment

I'm wondering if/when they will go all digital....it would be so cool to have digital toms as well....the trigger technology is there. They would only need smaller baskets and a module with more digital inputs....

Comment

I always figured they’d add a digital hi hat before going all digital. The td50 has a 3rd USB trigger input that is unused. Would’ve made sense to have the snare, ride, and hats to be the 3 inputs.
          Pearl Mimic Pro, A2E Tama Superstar, Jobeky side triggers on the snare and 8” Tom, Jobeky AI triggers on the rest, VH-13 Hi-Hat, ATV 18” Ride, 2x Roland CY-14C Crashes, Roland CY-13R/C Splash, Roland CY-15R China, 2x Roland BT-1 for Side Stick and Cowbell, Sony MDR-7506

Comment

Originally posted by Alan VEX View Post
            but I was thinking they’d go six on the 50. Guess it depends how hard competition is hurting them.
            Td50 is at his 4 years, Jan 2016 release, I don't expect until 2022-2023 new flagship, they just released TD27, they will release VAD with TD50 kit config first with digital and maybe without digital, to make it on wider range setup and price range.

-I expect older smaller pad triggers pd128\125 center cone will use the new basket VAD triggers as well to "PD130", no hotspot triple sided cone formation like ATV did. Much things could be released before new flagship to gain sales. Just figure, new improved "PD130" mesh triggers 3 sensor cone + their newest analog cymbal Crash\Ride CY16 + CY-14 CT released as kit.
            Last edited by Chris K; 05-30-20, 05:46 PM.

Comment

They released in Sept '16; so yea, it'll be 4 years in September.

I have several thoughts... possibly 2020 due to competitive sales... 2021 would be in line with the previous flagship timeline... and 2022 would be if they think they can keep sales going that long. I don't think they will.

That said, this virus and economy will be the ultimate decision maker. So, I actually stick to my original prediction from a few years ago... I expect a re-release with "new pads" (which is now the VAD) in 2021, and then a new flagship in 2022. I kind of thought that way upon release when I saw they were sticking with 75% the same kit & hardware from the 30.

The 27 introduced the new pads, and they need to put those with the flagship. From what I was told earlier this year, that will possibly come in the form of shell packs late this fall. I think that actually depends on 27 VAD kit demand first, and that's why they said they weren't sure yet.

Regardless, this virus thing has everything off course right now. So far, the reliable timeline I was given in Feb is on track with 2-4 weeks of delay due to the virus.
              Alan
              ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

I wonder if they might do a Td50x with better snare samples and the new VAD pads. I also cannot understand why you can’t just download new sounds on this. You could on the TD9.

Comment

I don't think they'll do another 50-esque version module per se, but I guess it's plausible. I just don't see them wasting time re-working the same module by basically only changing out the sample ROM/PROM/whatever-its-called. That would only put them behind competition even further.

Here's the thing. Roland plans so far out in advance, it makes me wonder what they thought when the Mimic (& Alesis, etc.) hit the market. I wonder if they took this into consideration and reevaluated their immediate future plans.
                  Alan

Comment

well, you've been right a couple of times.. i'm 'waiting' for a digital hihat (affordable) that will be 'the ultimate' hihat
                    in triggering/ response/ and well, just have no flaws, weak points .. and they must be working on this (there's hints..)
                    Audio | Video | Roland/Yamaha e-kit | Sonor/Gretsch a-kit | Zildjian/Sabian/Ufip cymbals

Comment

I was thinking if you had the money you could already build a pretty neat digital kit. Just buy a couple of pd 140 snares and put the triggers into normal shells. Then you would have to buy two drum modules and combine them somehow (equals 6 digital inputs). Hahaha. I would try that if money wasn't an issue.

Comment

ok, but i wouldn't need digital on toms.. just side trig on smal size, and or multi trigger in 14" or bigger..
                        but hihat that's always been a problem (somewhere) either in the number of samples from closed to open
                        or in the tightness samples, or closed etc.. td-27 is (still) not better than a tdw-20 (with a vh12/13) ..in my opinion..
                        Audio | Video | Roland/Yamaha e-kit | Sonor/Gretsch a-kit | Zildjian/Sabian/Ufip cymbals

Comment

Let’s be clear about the main reason Roland designed the digital pads... positional sensing.

Many wrongly believe the design is primarily for battling hotspots. That’s only part of the design’s goal.

The primary goal of the DP implementation is the much higher quality of positional sensing and zone blending. This is both easily seen on the DP SN & RD.

This begs the question of how many players actually need PS on toms. In most cases, it’s going to be those that play extremely dynamically in genres like jazz, latin, etc. That pretty much means the majority of the market has no need for significant change in the toms. Not to mention, adding the hardware you see in the DP SN to toms would exorbitantly increase the kit’s price. Thus, I see no DP toms in the near future.

If Roland wants to focus on something we could use, it would be a three-zone DP HH. Blending and improved PS in a DP HH would be greatly welcomed by dynamic players. However, I have my doubts in this area due to price as well. I still think this is a few years off.

All this is why I say the VAD pads are what we’ll see for the time being. Since there is no center cone, the design (from a tom perspective) is simply more of one to save cones, improve dynamics, and avoid hotspotting.
                          Alan

Comment

Originally posted by Ericdrumz View Post
                            i'm 'waiting' for a digital hihat (affordable) that will be 'the ultimate' hihat
                            in triggering/ response/ and well, just have no flaws, weak points .. and they must be working on this (there's hints..)
                            It won't be lower then 750$, vh13 is already 750$ probably will cost more.

Problem on hihat are physical approach with stand, clutch position, tight on cymbal clutch, and pedal tension, you are mixing external gear. Unless they develop their own stand optimized and with fixed option on and off, that would reduce all % of external brand, not all stand works great with ehihat, some are too much heavy on pedal, others too much light, others have more vibration close to open, spring vibration, type of clutch as well, etc..all these make issue. When using simple controller like fd8 and cy5\10 most of issue external issue are gone, digital hihat won't resolve 3rd party hihat stand interaction unless it came with designed dp stand.
                            Last edited by Chris K; 05-31-20, 01:48 PM.

Comment

That wouldn't surprise me at all if they integrated the stand and pad. Along with a $1K price tag of course.
                              ATV aDrums, ATV aD5, eDRUMin, Presonus Quantum 2, SD3

Comment

Working...
                              X