Announcement

Collapse

Lounge Posting Guidelines

E-DRUMMING DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST PRODUCT OR TECHNICAL QUESTIONS!
See more
See less

Next Roland flagship

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jackodrum View Post

if the edrumin gets a large enough number of inputs and a midi in, i reckon it’s a game changer - the only module i know of that has no sounds of its own but can go straight to vst
    Well we've had Megadrum.

But I would agree, the setup process with eDrumin is a game changer that makes the MIDI to VST idea much more accessible. A great little product that will perhaps leapfrog Megadrum in years to come - especially if it came in larger input forms.
    Last edited by Kabonfaiba; 12-02-19, 06:11 PM.
    ◾Diamond Drums 4pc in Di-Noc carbon ◾MegaDRUM ◾Roland UA-1010 / cymbals / KT-10 (x2) ◾Tama / Gibraltar hardware ◾JBL LSR3 Series 2.1 Monitoring ◾Pearl THMP-1
    PA Comparison Table

Comment

Just watched a video on it and it looks great. You can get two from a mono input but that doesn’t look that reliable but could be useful. I would hope the next one they make has at least the amount of trigger ins as the td30. Then it would be of interest to me. Love the look of the software by the way.
      Roland TD30 module on TD20 kit SD3 with various kits. Pearl Masters Kit, Yamaha 9000RC original natural wood finish. Cymbals from Zildgian Pasite and Sabian. Loads of percussion bits. Cubase and Wavelab always current versions.

Comment

Well we've had Megadrum.
        ok

pardon my ignorance re the megadrum. i’ve heard of it but know nothing about it (obviously)
        Roland TD9 (KD8, FD9) > Scarlett 6i6 > imac, Superior Drummer 3, Logic // Yamaha DTX Multi12 (KT10, HH65, TP100) > Scarlett 2i4 > macbook, SD3 // Zendrum EXP > Stompblock / Scarlett 2i4 > macbook, SD3 // Yamaha HS7s, Yamaha DBR10, ATH-M30x // A-Kits: DIY compact kit, Mapex Meridian // Cymbals: Zildjian Ks, some As & Sabians & ...

Comment

Originally posted by Chance27 View Post
          I would just love to see a 13” or 14” digital hi-hat to fill that third USB slot on my TD-50.
          I would actually like to see a TRS version of the 18" digital ride. Now, I know the digital/USB part of it allows the hi-def nuances that they offer in the ride, but I felt like Roland lost guys like me when they utilize USB-only connectivity for their pads. You might think this is blasphemy, but I actually loved playing the 18" digital ride when I owned a TD-50 and now I have the ATV 18" ride with my Mimic Pro and wish I still was able to use the CR-18DR. There is something to be said about the good build quality of Roland gear under stick.
          Last edited by Trip McNealy; 12-03-19, 04:21 PM.
          Live Rig: Mimic Pro | KD-140 | PD-125X pads | Roland cym | MDS-9V rack | Turbosound iQ12
          Studio Rig: Mimic Pro or SD 3.0 | Pearl ePro DIY full kit | ATV + Yamaha cym | VH-11 | MDS-20 rack | ATH-M40x phones

Comment

Here we all are, years later, wishing for the same things from Roland lol.
            K
            My bands: Alter Ego, Arcanum
            E Kit = Roland TDW-20s kit // Roland SPD-S// Pearl Demon Drives//
            A Kit = Tama Swingstar 5 pc (1981) w/roto toms (orig owner!) //Zildjians
            A Kit = Natal 6 pc with Paiste 2000 & Zildjian/MidiKNights/DrumSplitters

Comment

Originally posted by Trip McNealy View Post

I would actually like to see a TRS version of the 18" digital ride. Now, I know the digital/USB part of it allows the hi-def nuances that they offer in the ride, but I felt like Roland lost guys like me when they utilize USB-only connectivity for their pads. You might think this is blasphemy, but I actually loved playing the 18" digital ride when I owned a TD-50 and now I have the ATV 18" ride with my Mimic Pro and wish I still was able to use the CR-18DR. There is something to be said about the good build quality of Roland gear under stick.
              I think this is unlikely to happen any time soon. The 18" ride is a key USP of the TD-50. If it was TRS, I'd have bought a Mimic. Roland knows it.
              Roland TD-50 Digital Pack, Mapex V shells + UFO eBridge triggers.

Comment

Originally posted by unsaltedmd5 View Post

I think this is unlikely to happen any time soon. The 18" ride is a key USP of the TD-50. If it was TRS, I'd have bought a Mimic. Roland knows it.
                Agreed. I imagine that for many people, the two digital pads are the only reason there's even a slight chance that they would consider the TD-50 at its current state.

Comment

Originally posted by Excessium View Post

Agreed. I imagine that for many people, the two digital pads are the only reason there's even a slight chance that they would consider the TD-50 at its current state.
                  Don't get me wrong, it's a great bit of kit and the digital pads do provide dynamics that analog pads can't, but I think they definitely know the exclusivity of the size of the digital ride is a big marketing advantage for the TD50.

Comment

The atv 18 inch ride is a good alternative to the roland digital ride and with the atv you can use it with just about any module,i'm using mine with a td-9 module right now.

Comment

the digital pads do provide dynamics that analog pads can't
                      Have you personally compared "digital" ride to a "analog" one from ATV for example?

Comment

Don't get me wrong, it's a great bit of kit and the digital pads do provide dynamics that analog pads can't, but I think they definitely know the exclusivity of the size of the digital ride is a big marketing advantage for the TD50.
                        Its size isn't exclusive, though. Even in terms of triggering, it's debatable whether you can say it's better than the ATV 18" because the Roland one might have more sensors but it doesn't have proper 360 degree triggering. I imagine the positional sensing is better on the Roland one at least. I don't know if my TD-12 is at fault, but with my 16" ATV cymbal the PS is all over the place and basically unusable.

Comment

I thought the whole reason Roland used a USB cable was for 5V power / the 4th data pin (because there is no 1/4 size TRRS jack in existence)

The whole digital bit I don't know, but there is a chipset inside the CY-18DR, hence the firmware button. It's still a collection of piezos in there and no doubt some very clever programming. But the objective seems to be more about making the pads standalone triggers for future modules / computers planned years in advance rather than a revolutionary step forward in triggering sensitivity.
                          ◾Diamond Drums 4pc in Di-Noc carbon ◾MegaDRUM ◾Roland UA-1010 / cymbals / KT-10 (x2) ◾Tama / Gibraltar hardware ◾JBL LSR3 Series 2.1 Monitoring ◾Pearl THMP-1
                          PA Comparison Table

Comment

Originally posted by Excessium View Post
                            Its size isn't exclusive, though. Even in terms of triggering, it's debatable whether you can say it's better than the ATV 18" because the Roland one might have more sensors but it doesn't have proper 360 degree triggering. I imagine the positional sensing is better on the Roland one at least. I don't know if my TD-12 is at fault, but with my 16" ATV cymbal the PS is all over the place and basically unusable.
                            Exclusive with the Roland range, I mean. If they released an 18" analog ride it would diminish the value of the TD50.

The main reason I went for the TD50DP over a Mimic/ATV combination, which I did consider, was the overall price. The TD-50DP is 2500 new, which is at least 500 cheaper than Mimic and ATV snare/ride. It was mostly an opportunistic purchase on my part because I got a further 600 off a new (opened) TD50DP, which given the resale value of Roland products is a no brainer IMO.

I do prefer the Roland hardware to the ATV hardware too. I've tried the ATV kits and while they're fine the Roland equivalents just felt more sturdily built to me.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr.Boo View Post

Have you personally compared "digital" ride to a "analog" one from ATV for example?
                              I have and that is not true at all[as you may have guessed]. The only difference might be how the positional sensing works with a Roland module. Roland claimed that they have a higher resultion of dynamics in the TD50 but it is complete nonsense and I certainly wouldn't want more than 127 levels. I reduce the range already so the sounds cut through a band better.

Ironically you can easily hear a very small number of samples repeating in the TD50. The hi hat closed sounds like 2 samples total for certain. I contacted Roland about machine gunning on the hi hat but never heard back. The ride sounded nice but still has very few repeating samples with some variation in the modeling. It works better than the hi hat.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr.Boo View Post

I have, and in my experience the digital ride is much more responsive than ATV’s 18”. Also, I prefer the rubber texture on the digital ride over ATV’s. The drum stick has a more natural feel when playing on it. The rubber on the ATV is a little softer.
                                ATV aDrums, TD-50, aD5, Superior Drummer 3.0, Roland SPD-SX, Tama & DW Hardware.

Comment

Working...
                                X