Announcement

Collapse

Lounge Posting Guidelines

E-DRUMMING DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST PRODUCT OR TECHNICAL QUESTIONS!

Having issues? Please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

See more
See less

Next Roland flagship

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Guys I am just an old, A's playing Rock drummer that likes the E's at this stage in his life, but if I am going to lay out 2k on a module and bits, I just want to mount it, Plug the triggers into it, plug it into the mains, and have a load of great sounding kits to play. No don't want no techno stuff, just a variety of down to earth, practical and realistic drum kit sounds, with the ability to change trigger properties and overall ambience settings.

Comment

if you're used to a td-6, i'd go to the biggest music store near your town.. and try a couple of recent modules ?
      where i was last they had 8 modules play ready.. and you can check the sounds / options.. (they won't have 'all' modules ..)
      Audio | Video | Roland/Yamaha e-kit | Sonor/Gretsch a-kit | Zildjian/Sabian/Ufip cymbals

Comment

Originally posted by John.b View Post
        Guys I am just an old, A's playing Rock drummer that likes the E's at this stage in his life, but if I am going to lay out 2k on a module and bits, I just want to mount it, Plug the triggers into it, plug it into the mains, and have a load of great sounding kits to play. No don't want no techno stuff, just a variety of down to earth, practical and realistic drum kit sounds, with the ability to change trigger properties and overall ambience settings.
        It sounds like the ATV aD5 is right for you. I love mine, and I have the Mimic and the aD5. They are both great for different reasons.
        ATV aDrums & aD5, Pearl Mimic Pro & DIY, Agean R-series Silent Cymbals, Roland Handsonic HPD-20.

Comment

Do you want some editing base, tuning, fx, ambiance? Like your td6?

Comment

Yea I want the option to be able to say change the snare pitch or the decay, or its volume in respect to the rest of the kit and likewise for all the triggers in that kit. For the money though I would expect to get a good selection of basic kits to play, and be able to edit each trigger in each kit if I want, like I can on the TD6V. Drum kits are very personal things and what suits you might not entirely suit me. I just want to be able to tweek the sounds to my taste. If I cant, then what am I paying for.

Comment

To answer your question, and to stay on topic somewhat... I have a feeling that TD30 would suit you. It's miles ahead TD6, it's Roland so you'd stay within a familiar frame, has enough inputs, has enough editing and sound shaping power... For the price diff (from td50/mimic) you can get it VEXed and have it sound great without spending too much time tweaking.

It's not the ultimate module for everyone (there is no such thing), but it used to be the best Roland module and is still the most well rounded one if you ask many drummers. I was referring to this when I mentioned bringing back old tech to new flagships, since the following TD50 ended up short of many usefull features found in the predecessors.
              •A kits: Mapex Saturn ltd. Mapex Meridian, Ludwig and Pearl snares, Paiste, Anatolian, DW5002TW•
              •SPD-SX, Roland RT triggers•
              •Ship kits: TD-12KV, TD-30K, TD-50K•

Comment

Or maybe the TD17. All the Roland v-drums have a decent selection of 'real' sounding drums. They tend to build kit presets with OTT fx and electronic sounds that's all.

Comment

Well thanks for your suggestions guys. TD17 or 30 then. Can both modules be Vex'ed ?

Comment

Well thanks for your suggestions guys. TD17 or 30 then. Can both modules be Vex'ed ?
                    Yes, I would get TD17, you can imports sample, layers sound, TD-30 you cannot. If you can wait winter namm, Roland might replace their td25 for newer one, it's pretty old now, they have td17 - td50, middle is missing.
                    Last edited by Chris K; 11-26-19, 09:17 AM.

Comment

Do you intend to expand at all as the td17 is limited?
                      Roland TD30 module on TD20 kit SD3 with various kits. Pearl Masters Kit, Yamaha 9000RC original natural wood finish. Cymbals from Zildgian Pasite and Sabian. Loads of percussion bits. Cubase and Wavelab always current versions.

Comment

I don't know to be honest mkok. Till I get the module and find its limitations its not really possible for me to say.
                        I just want a module that has a load of good kit sounds to choose from and be able to go into any of the kits and edit / import triggers (from a library), to get the exact sound that I want. I don't want any techno stuff, just pure drum kit sounds. If that means importing stuff then yes, I would do that though hopefully, that would not be too necessary. I just want a module that will give me good kits to choose from and allow me to edit each of the triggers in each kit (volume, pitch, decay, pan etc) , and then the overall ambience.

I have always assumed that because I can do all this with my old TD6V (though limited to just 3 or 4 crappy kits), then as the modules progressed, so would the choice of kit sounds, and editing choices. It seems that is not the case then.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris K View Post

Yes, I would get TD17, you can imports sample, layers sound, TD-30 you cannot. If you can wait winter namm, Roland might replace their td25 for newer one, it's pretty old now, they have td17 - td50, middle is missing.
                          Please excuse my ignorance Chris, but as stated before, I am just a very old a-kit rock drummer and when you say about samples and layers, I am not sure what you mean. I have always assumed that samples were just additional kit sounds. Layers, well totally no idea mate.

Comment

By expand I meant will you add extra toms or cymbals as the td17 has limited trigger inputs. All modules that can import samples can only support one shot samples. These are a single sample at a single velocity. You can add this to a sound therefore layering it with the existing sound. I know you want it simple but like a keyboard player or guitar player you do need to get to know the equipment and research to really know what you want.
                            Roland TD30 module on TD20 kit SD3 with various kits. Pearl Masters Kit, Yamaha 9000RC original natural wood finish. Cymbals from Zildgian Pasite and Sabian. Loads of percussion bits. Cubase and Wavelab always current versions.

Comment

he could -talking in myself here- keep the td-6 and use td-6 kick(s) ..a china, a crash, or a splash and feed these through the 'mix in' on a td-17,
                              you can pitch up a small tom, and pitch down a big tom on td-17 .. now that would be 5 toms ..and you would have the 'extra' crash on td17..
                              i know it's not ideal .. but a 17 doesn't have midi in.. so, that's what i would do then..
                              Audio | Video | Roland/Yamaha e-kit | Sonor/Gretsch a-kit | Zildjian/Sabian/Ufip cymbals

Comment

So off topic now, might as well change the title of the thread to My Christmas Wish List.
                                ATV aDrums, TD-50, aD5, Superior Drummer 3.0, Roland SPD-SX, Tama & DW Hardware.

Comment

Working...
                                X