Announcement

Collapse

Lounge Posting Guidelines

E-DRUMMING DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST PRODUCT OR TECHNICAL QUESTIONS!
See more
See less

Hip Replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for the support guys. Going in tomorrow so kill or cure. When someone says 'tone it down please' say 'yea right' and turn the sticks round.

Comment

Hope all went well with the surgery John. I am 66 so this is something that I believe is in my not so distant future. Knee too! Sucks getting old but the drums keep me young at least in the head, lol!!!
      Last edited by Jeffo; 10-20-19, 04:20 PM.

Comment

Sorry to be late to this thread but had a hip resurfacing about 10 years ago and don't even think about it anymore. It may take a little while to get all the subtleties and nuances of movement back but don't get discouraged, it'll happen! Drumming, skiing, mtn bike, road riding, hiking, etc.. at a high level with no more pain or discomfort. I'm 63 now and just skied the Haute Route from Chamonix to Zermatt over 6 days this past April and never worried about my hip.
        Best of luck! I believe you'll be so happy you decided to make this happen.

Comment

The deed has been done guys. I'm now the owner of a new hip and doing all the exercises and good boy things. Not thinking about drums yet,( well ok I am) but have to refrain from the thought, at least for a few weeks me thinks. I did not ask the consultant about playing drums in case he told me something I did not want to hear. Ignorance is bliss right.

Cheers to all you Guys and Girls.

Comment

Welcome back. I hope you’re feeling well. You’ll be back at the kit before you know it.
            Equipment: TD-30KV, DW9000 hardware, ROC-N-SOC Throne, Behringer ULTRATONE K3000FX Amp, JBL EON 615 Powered Speaker, Yamaha MG06X. 1965 Ludwig Super Classic. Black diamond pearl. Zildjian K Custom Dark cymbals, DW 7000 hardware, DW 9000 kick pedal.

Comment

Now you can take those hula lessons you been wanting.
              Take care sir.
              "It makes sense if you dont think about it"

Mimic Pro, SPD-SX, 2-QSC K-10s, K-sub, Yamaha mixer, and a bunch of other expensive cool things!

Comment

Originally posted by Intruder View Post
                Now you can take those hula lessons you been wanting.
                Take care sir.
                Yea I got nursey looking up the rules as we speak.

Comment

Originally posted by cobaltdrive View Post
                  Sorry to be late to this thread but had a hip resurfacing about 10 years ago and don't even think about it anymore. It may take a little while to get all the subtleties and nuances of movement back but don't get discouraged, it'll happen! Drumming, skiing, mtn bike, road riding, hiking, etc.. at a high level with no more pain or discomfort. I'm 63 now and just skied the Haute Route from Chamonix to Zermatt over 6 days this past April and never worried about my hip.
                  Best of luck! I believe you'll be so happy you decided to make this happen.
                  Sorry mate I did not see you sneak in there. Glad to hear of your experience and if you can ski on a repair, I have to be able to play drums don't I

Comment

Just a side note for any of you guys that have this op done in the future, a strange thing. Well tonight I could not resist the temptation any longer and just had to sit at the kit for the first time in probably 2 months, and there was something I had not accounted for. Over the months my right leg had shortened due to the collapse of my hip joint, and of course, in renewing the joint, they have corrected this so now both my legs are the same length. Sitting at the kit now does seem strange. Like my ankle joint is much too close and I need to sit further back. Don't know what will happen but I assume all will come good in the long run. It was like sitting at someone else's kit. Weird !!!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Jeffo View Post
                      Hope all went well with the surgery John. I am 66 so this is something that I believe is in my not so distant future. Knee too! Sucks getting old but the drums keep me young at least in the head, lol!!!
                      Hi Jeff its is a pig this getting older and I am pretty sure that playing drums has contributed to my hip and knee problems but what do you do. When It is something you have always done, it is in your blood, it is what you do, and it is what you are. You cant deny it can you.

Comment

You are so right my friend. Something is going to get us. It may as well be drums. I love them too
                        So be it.

Comment

The surgery gave me back 1/2” to my repaired hip that had been lost over the years and it took more than a year till it felt normal but it will I promise you.

Comment

John,
                            so glad you’re sitting at the kit again. That’s progress!
                            Equipment: TD-30KV, DW9000 hardware, ROC-N-SOC Throne, Behringer ULTRATONE K3000FX Amp, JBL EON 615 Powered Speaker, Yamaha MG06X. 1965 Ludwig Super Classic. Black diamond pearl. Zildjian K Custom Dark cymbals, DW 7000 hardware, DW 9000 kick pedal.

Comment

Originally posted by jimorlando View Post
                              John,
                              so glad you’re sitting at the kit again. That’s progress!
                              Had the stitches / staples out today and coming home thinking, its been nearly 3 months since last playing or doing anything so here we go.

And yes Jim, cheers. I have moved the kick pedal away about 1/2in and raised the thrown by about the same, to compensate for my repaired longer right leg. So now all I need to do is go for it. OK so a bit gently at first I suppose, maybe.

Comment

To keep my right leg straight I have had to slew the kick pedal and drum around about 5 degrees and wondered if any kick pedal manufacturer makes a pedal that the foot plate can be slewed around i.e. so the pedal foot plate is at an angle to the kick drum centreline axis. Not a problem on E's but might be an advantage on A's to keep the kick drum sound projected forward.

Comment

Working...
                                X