Announcement

Collapse

Lounge Posting Guidelines

E-DRUMMING DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST PRODUCT OR TECHNICAL QUESTIONS!
See more
See less

Placement of kit in a room with One neighbor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Placement of kit in a room with One neighbor

I have an AE kit with Drum-tec 2ply heads on all drums except for the bass drum, it's a Roland KD-10.

I am moving into a 1-room apartment on the 1st AND ONLY floor and have one neighbor like the title says.

In order to cause as least noise for my neighbor. Where should I put my kit, if you look at the attached image ? A, B, C, D ? And at what direction should my eyes face?

The arrows marked 1, 2 ,3, these directions are "clear", there's no house closer than perhaps 70 meters or so.

i would go
    B for greater distance
    2 for more space in the apartment (and for that reason go for a corner)
    E-Kits: Roland TD9v1, Yamaha DTX Multi12, Zendrum EXP; FD9, KT10 // Interfaces: Scarlett 2i4, Scarlett 6i6 // Sounds: Superior Drummer 3, Stompblock // Computers: Macbook, imac // Logic, Garageband // Headphones: ATH-M30x // Speakers: Yamaha DBR10, Yamaha HS7s // A-Kits: DIY compact kit, Mapex Meridian // Cymbals: Zildjian Ks, a few As and Sabians, and ...

Comment

Yea B but the worst noise transmission is by the kick pedal through the floor. Have you got a timber floor or a concrete floor. If timber you might need a tennis ball platform. Do a search on this and you will find out loads of stuff on this. I've got no neighbours so don't have to worry lol

Comment

Make friends with your neighbor then experiment. Just a thought.
        Equipment: TD-30KV, DW9000 hardware, ROC-N-SOC Throne, Behringer ULTRATONE K3000FX Amp, JBL EON 615 Powered Speaker, Yamaha MG06X. 1965 Ludwig Super Classic. Black diamond pearl. Zildjian K Custom Dark cymbals, DW 7000 hardware, DW 9000 kick pedal.

Comment

Set it up in your neighbors living room so he gets used to it right away, and then any moves from there will show immediate progress, lol! Seriously, I think it would be more of an experiment that you would have to involve your neighbor in. This way he or she would know that you are aware that they could be affected . I have been all thru this with 2 downstairs neighbors. After building a riser, Roland noise eaters, quieter mesh heads, etc. I now just try to play when I know that neighbor isn't home. When you live in a house no problem, condo, different story. Good luck man!
          Last edited by Jeffo; 08-11-19, 11:22 AM.

Comment

yep, wall and floor are pretty important in this.. ..maybe make agreements about playing hours in time, with your neighbour
            (if it is too noisy) .. another idea.. get a rtom moongel workout pad 7" .. take it out of the plastic holder and double side tape it to
            a wood board.. now you have the exact rebound of an acoustic snare .. and nobody hears a thing nextdoor.. (just as an add on..)
            | Diy Roland/Yamaha e-kit | Sonor/Gretsch a-kit | Zildjian/Sabian/Ufip cymbals

Comment

2B, but maybe thatís too obvious? The bit about the floor is a good point...
              Roland TD-30 & TM-6 Modules | Superior Drummer 3 on PC | Tama Superstar Hyper-Drive Maple A2E w/ R-Drums Triggers | ATV aD Cymbals | Axis Pedals | Tama & Gibraltar HW | Focusrite Clarett 4Pre | Simmons DA200S Monitor | V-MODA Crossfade M-100 OEMs & MEE MX4 PRO IEMs

Comment

Buy your neighbour a kit and do dual drum solos.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeffo View Post
                  Set it up in your neighbors living room so he gets used to it right away, and then any moves from there will show immediate progress, lol! Seriously, I think it would be more of an experiment that you would have to involve your neighbor in. This way he or she would know that you are aware that they could be affected . I have been all thru this with 2 downstairs neighbors. After building a riser, Roland noise eaters, quieter mesh heads, etc. I now just try to play when I know that neighbor isn't home. When you live in a house no problem, condo, different story. Good luck man!
                  Not a bad idea. I'm in a similar situation and building a sound reduced room but got a pair of walkie talkies and gave one to the neighbor so he could let me know what he was hearing when I was playing as far as the volume was concerned.
                  Yamaha DTX502 module, mapex piccolo snare, 10" and 12" vintage Tama Superstar toms, 16" no name blue sparkle floor tom (from my first kit in 1979 resurrected from the attic) Triggera Intriggs on snare and two mounted toms, Roland RT-10 on floor tom, two Kriggs, Yamaha RH135, pcy135, and pcy155

Comment

Originally posted by merpmerp View Post

Not a bad idea. I'm in a similar situation and building a sound reduced room but got a pair of walkie talkies and gave one to the neighbor so he could let me know what he was hearing when I was playing as far as the volume was concerned.
                    Brilliant!
                    Equipment: TD-30KV, DW9000 hardware, ROC-N-SOC Throne, Behringer ULTRATONE K3000FX Amp, JBL EON 615 Powered Speaker, Yamaha MG06X. 1965 Ludwig Super Classic. Black diamond pearl. Zildjian K Custom Dark cymbals, DW 7000 hardware, DW 9000 kick pedal.

Comment

Great idea. Instant communication. Without your neighbor or you having to walk up and down the stairs or dial for progress reports! That should work well
                      Last edited by Jeffo; 08-22-19, 08:37 AM.

Comment

There's structual noise, which travels via the joists, studs and floor panels, and there's airborne noise, which seeps through thin walls, ceilings and every little opening anywhere in the place

Structual noise usually comes from the kick, as it's closest to the floor and you hit the bass often, and hard as some do, so it depends on what type of floor you have in order to give advice

Airborne can be muffled by caulking holes and openings, and putting up a barrier on the wall facing the other apartment, something like heavy moving blankets or dense solid insulation board

I agree with the others, the first thing you should do is tell your neighbor you're a heavy drinker and you come home at all hours of the night and wail on the drums, and ask if that's OK

Kidding aside, do talk to your neighbor and explain you're a drummer and you want to be sure you're not bothering him. Keep the line of communication open and if it's too loud, try different things

Comment

Working...
                        X