Announcement

Collapse

Lounge Posting Guidelines

E-DRUMMING DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST PRODUCT OR TECHNICAL QUESTIONS!
See more
See less

Want to hear some suggestions about my tennis ball riser idea I had

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Want to hear some suggestions about my tennis ball riser idea I had

Most of the tennis ball risers I saw are made using large pieces of plywood (often more than one piece of plywood). I'm looking for a less bulky solution.

I was thinking about something smaller. I have a TD-1DMK and the rack has 4 rubber feet.

I thought about cutting 2 tennis ball in the half (like this) and screw each half to each rubber feet. So each rack feet will have half of a tennis ball as isolation.

Then, for each pedal (kick and hihat), grab a small piece (just large enough for the pedal and kick pad) of plywood and apply 4 halves on each one. I found a good example about what I want to achieve here: this and this (he used 9 halves, I thought about using only 4, one in each edge).

Does anyone see any reason why this wouldn't work as expected (ie, not decreasing the level of vibration to the other floors)?

I reckon it would stop transmitting vibration but would think there would be a lot of movement of the hardware when playing, and I don't think the half tennis balls would keep their flexibility for very long. It is the kick pedal that is the main culprit in causing transmitted noise and half tennis balls on this I don't think would last more than half an hour. A good thought though.

Comment

I'd give it a try. It doesn't look like it would be that much effort to knock the project out and you would be moving in the right direction... plus you could share your results here as well.

Also if you're not on carpeted (& padded) floors I would also place some kind of rubber matting below like the material often used for exercise equipment to protect the flooring and act as another barrier.
      Hardware: TD20SX --> Roland UA-25EX --> MSI GT780DX w/ i7 2670, 16-GB of Ram, Windows 7
      Software: Superior Drummer 2.0, Metal Foundry SDX, Metal Machine EZX, Toontrack Solo - - Sonor X1 Studio - -

Comment

Originally posted by John.b View Post
        I reckon it would stop transmitting vibration but would think there would be a lot of movement of the hardware when playing, and I don't think the half tennis balls would keep their flexibility for very long. It is the kick pedal that is the main culprit in causing transmitted noise and half tennis balls on this I don't think would last more than half an hour. A good thought though.
        the bottom layer of my 2-layer drum riser is made of half tennis balls, they've been going strong for almost 7 years now, and I got the idea from another drummer who had the same thing for even longer.
        Dual Alesis Module Drum Set (DM10(BlueJay)+DM8+Trigger iO), Dual Layer Tennis Ball Drum Riser
        Shure SE215 IEM's, Simmons DA50 Amp, Alto Professional ZMX862 Mixer, Tama SpeedCobra Pedals, Vic Firth 7AN Sticks, Roc-N-Soc Original Throne

Comment

A whole bottom layer is a lot stronger than just 3 or 4 applied to each item. Anyway only one way to find out mate.

Comment

Originally posted by psynchro View Post
            Most of the tennis ball risers I saw are made using large pieces of plywood (often more than one piece of plywood). I'm looking for a less bulky solution.
            I was thinking about something smaller. I have a TD-1DMK and the rack has 4 rubber feet.
            Just an alternative to your excellent and cost effective idea Roland Ne-1 Noise Eater Sound Isolation Foot:

https://www.roland.com/global/products/ne-1/

I've seen them anywhere from 27.98 to 39.99 each and also 2-4 packs from Sweetwater, Amazon to eBay you have to search. They fit perfectly under the feet of my TD-MDS-50K Rack. I don't know why the emphasis is under the BD and HH feet but they obviously work there. I love them. No noise complaints below and less x talk. A nice little hydraulic lift to the rack maybe 1/2 inch but I'll take it.

ne-1.jpg

Last edited by Howstamychi; 06-24-19, 01:20 AM.

Comment

this is a bit more elaborate than your suggestion but the same concept. he also shows the effect on floor vibration
              https://youtu.be/4y_ShSFA5q4
              Roland TD9 (KD8, FD9) > Scarlett 6i6 > imac, Superior Drummer 3, Logic // Yamaha DTX Multi12 (KT10, HH65, TP100) > Scarlett 2i4 > macbook, SD3 // Zendrum EXP > Stompblock, macbook, SD3 // Yamaha HS7s, Yamaha DBR10, ATH-M30x // A-Kits: DIY compact kit, Mapex Meridian // Cymbals: Zildjian Ks, some As & Sabians & ...

Comment

Originally posted by Howstamychi View Post

Just an alternative to your excellent and cost effective idea Roland Ne-1 Noise Eater Sound Isolation Foot:

https://www.roland.com/global/products/ne-1/

I've seen them anywhere from 27.98 to 39.99 each and also 2-4 packs from Sweetwater, Amazon to eBay you have to search. They fit perfectly under the feet of my TD-MDS-50K Rack. I don't know why the emphasis is under the BD and HH feet but they obviously work there. I love them. No noise complaints below and less x talk. A nice little hydraulic lift to the rack maybe 1/2 inch but I'll take it.

ne-1.jpg
                The emphasis of being under the BD and HH is because these two items are the main culprits for transmitting vibration and noise through the floor. I use to play at night, the wife would go to bed and say that all she could hear was the kick drum. I have wooden floor boards.

Comment

Working...
                X