Announcement

Collapse

Lounge Posting Guidelines

E-DRUMMING DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST PRODUCT OR TECHNICAL QUESTIONS!
See more
See less

Drummers who nailed it is not too much and not too little

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Great thread! Being at the end of my '30s, I wouldn't consider myself a youngster but also not too old. Saying that any of these bands and drummers are underestimated could only mean that they've been gone for too long, but some are still alive and kicking. I guess for me it goes without saying that Manu, Simon, Jeff, Gadd, Vinnie, J.R. (Robinson, check him out also), Bonzo or Collins are the greats, to name a few. They inspired the next generations of drummers, and for me they can't go out of style. New guys have came, new grooves, licks and chops, but the musicality of the greats still runs in their playing.

    I respect them in a different way than famous jazz drummers. Jazz was cutting edge, the hip thing, the F1 of the modern music. Those cats were free to invent and experiment with stuff that wasn't for everyone and took it far. The pop/rock guys had to hit the charts. They had almost a fixed frame to work with, so as the mentioned composers/songwriters/producers did magic within the frame, so have the drummers that shaped the beat of music for the masses. Very tricky thing to achieve
    •A kits: Mapex Saturn ltd. Mapex Meridian, Ludwig and Pearl snares, Paiste, Anatolian, DW5002TW•
    •Roland TD-12 brain, SPD-SX, Roland RT triggers•
    •Ship kits: TD-12KV, TD-30K, TD-50K•

    Comment


    • #17
      Originally posted by MilosDrummer View Post
      Great thread! Being at the end of my '30s, I wouldn't consider myself a youngster but also not too old. Saying that any of these bands and drummers are underestimated could only mean that they've been gone for too long, but some are still alive and kicking. I guess for me it goes without saying that Manu, Simon, Jeff, Gadd, Vinnie, J.R. (Robinson, check him out also), Bonzo or Collins are the greats, to name a few. They inspired the next generations of drummers, and for me they can't go out of style. New guys have came, new grooves, licks and chops, but the musicality of the greats still runs in their playing.

      I respect them in a different way than famous jazz drummers. Jazz was cutting edge, the hip thing, the F1 of the modern music. Those cats were free to invent and experiment with stuff that wasn't for everyone and took it far. The pop/rock guys had to hit the charts. They had almost a fixed frame to work with, so as the mentioned composers/songwriters/producers did magic within the frame, so have the drummers that shaped the beat of music for the masses. Very tricky thing to achieve
      VERY well put: bravo
      TD-9 Module Gen 2; TMC-6 Slave Module; PD-105BK; PD-85BK x 3; CY-13R x 1; CY-12C x 3; Kit Toy China 15" x 1; Kit Toy Splash 10" x 2; KD-9; CY-5 x 2; FD-7-; Pintech Dinbat used as Cowbell; TDA-700 & Roland KCW-1 Sub Woofer; Pearl 902 Double Pedal; ROC-N-SOC V- Stool with Back Rest

      Comment


      • #18
        Originally posted by GuruMyStick View Post

        VERY well put: bravo
        Thanx
        It's easy to derail this into listing favourite drummers, which leads to opposing tastes since there's lot of genres to cover, so I'll state one that's not my favourite (I don't have those) but deserves credit for playing simple and musical stuff complementing the specific music. Nick Mason has made Pink Floyd sound as they do as much as his bandmates without going over the top and still draw attention to his playing where needed. A common thing shared across all the mentioned greats is deliberate playing, well thought out and composed to fit the music to the note. My first attempts at this floydish kind of playing had made me appreciate how important it is to refrain from filling all the gaps and let both the beats and pauses flow with the music. That way, fills and more intricate parts create more contrast and energy where needed. Building and resolving tension with great dynamics, almost as in classical music. Still active and rocking legend!
        •A kits: Mapex Saturn ltd. Mapex Meridian, Ludwig and Pearl snares, Paiste, Anatolian, DW5002TW•
        •Roland TD-12 brain, SPD-SX, Roland RT triggers•
        •Ship kits: TD-12KV, TD-30K, TD-50K•

        Comment


        • #19
          As previously discussed in other threads, back in the 60s, 70s, successful bands played to a formula that kept them popular. Ringo, Charlie Watts, Keith Moon, Mitch Mitchel, they all played to a style that proved popular, along with the rest of the band who also had to play to that formula. That's how they made loads of money and I admire the discipline it takes to keep playing to that certain style. I could not have done that in a million years. I saw Charlie Watts in rehearsal once and he could lay it down with the best of them. A real power house.

          Comment


          • #20
            Originally posted by MilosDrummer View Post

            Thanx
            It's easy to derail this into listing favourite drummers, which leads to opposing tastes since there's lot of genres to cover, so I'll state one that's not my favourite (I don't have those) but deserves credit for playing simple and musical stuff complementing the specific music. Nick Mason has made Pink Floyd sound as they do as much as his bandmates without going over the top and still draw attention to his playing where needed. A common thing shared across all the mentioned greats is deliberate playing, well thought out and composed to fit the music to the note. My first attempts at this floydish kind of playing had made me appreciate how important it is to refrain from filling all the gaps and let both the beats and pauses flow with the music. That way, fills and more intricate parts create more contrast and energy where needed. Building and resolving tension with great dynamics, almost as in classical music. Still active and rocking legend!
            said even better in this post then your first post
            TD-9 Module Gen 2; TMC-6 Slave Module; PD-105BK; PD-85BK x 3; CY-13R x 1; CY-12C x 3; Kit Toy China 15" x 1; Kit Toy Splash 10" x 2; KD-9; CY-5 x 2; FD-7-; Pintech Dinbat used as Cowbell; TDA-700 & Roland KCW-1 Sub Woofer; Pearl 902 Double Pedal; ROC-N-SOC V- Stool with Back Rest

            Comment


            • #21
              Originally posted by John.b View Post
              As previously discussed in other threads, back in the 60s, 70s, successful bands played to a formula that kept them popular. Ringo, Charlie Watts, Keith Moon, Mitch Mitchel, they all played to a style that proved popular, along with the rest of the band who also had to play to that formula. That's how they made loads of money and I admire the discipline it takes to keep playing to that certain style. I could not have done that in a million years. I saw Charlie Watts in rehearsal once and he could lay it down with the best of them. A real power house.
              speaking of the Rolling Stones and Charlie Watts, below there are two versions of the same song, over different time periods, take a few minutes out and listen to both of these, Charlie Watts has entertained I would say literally not just millions but billions of people over 50 years or whatever, 4 good reason, as this thread states he knows how to lay back do his job and not overpower, though he is obviously a monster drummer, check these out:

              Gimme Shelter:

              https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6yGF...&start_radio=1

              https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K7vLY-kZsAI
              TD-9 Module Gen 2; TMC-6 Slave Module; PD-105BK; PD-85BK x 3; CY-13R x 1; CY-12C x 3; Kit Toy China 15" x 1; Kit Toy Splash 10" x 2; KD-9; CY-5 x 2; FD-7-; Pintech Dinbat used as Cowbell; TDA-700 & Roland KCW-1 Sub Woofer; Pearl 902 Double Pedal; ROC-N-SOC V- Stool with Back Rest

              Comment


              • #22
                I think Rick Marotta played the track on Peg
                 

                Comment


                • #23
                  There might be one ringer in here. But they fit the title of the thread.

                  https://youtu.be/HKPxOz4Dd4A?list=RDauerxez5zb4 David Garibaldi
                  https://youtu.be/JChbB_UCNy0?list=RDauerxez5zb4 Gerry Brown
                  https://youtu.be/7E_i5bIgEW8?list=RDauerxez5zb4 Tom Brechtlein
                  https://youtu.be/uIYWvfDIN0o?list=RDauerxez5zb4 Dave Weckl
                  https://youtu.be/a5wD72HyrSE?list=RDauerxez5zb4 John Robinson
                  https://youtu.be/auerxez5zb4?list=RDauerxez5zb4 Rick Marotta
                  https://youtu.be/cZ0X8Bdi9gg?list=RDauerxez5zb4 Russ Miller
                  https://youtu.be/W_HFmBhT7Jc Ndugu Chancler
                  https://youtu.be/5LtiPaMg2-Q?list=RDwccxZqYuP_Y Steve Ferrone

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    John Guerin on Joni Mitchell's "Court and Spark." For example, "Help Me".
                    ATV aDrums Artist expanded kit, Mimic Pro. Ludwig 1967 black oyster pearl five piece, Zildjian A custom crashes, A. Zildjian ride and hats.

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Originally posted by Six View Post
                      I think Rick Marotta played the track on Peg
                      you are absolutely right.. ..internet said Porcaro, and because he's also known for subtle hi-hat work.. i didn't check..
                      very unique feel.. all Steely Dan drummers fit the thread title btw.. http://steelydanreader.com/1992/11/0...of-steely-dan/
                      also.. i'd like to add Omar Hakim, Phil Gould, Carter Beauford, Dennis Chambers.. especially live..
                      Last edited by Ericdrumz; 06-13-19, 02:05 PM.
                      | Diy Roland/Yamaha e-kit | Sonor/Gretsch a-kit | Zildjian/Sabian/Ufip cymbals

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Originally posted by GuruMyStick View Post

                        speaking of the Rolling Stones and Charlie Watts, below there are two versions of the same song, over different time periods, take a few minutes out and listen to both of these, Charlie Watts has entertained I would say literally not just millions but billions of people over 50 years or whatever, 4 good reason, as this thread states he knows how to lay back do his job and not overpower, though he is obviously a monster drummer, check these out:

                        Gimme Shelter:

                        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6yGF...&start_radio=1

                        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K7vLY-kZsAI
                        Yea big difference mate, Loved the snare sound with the Gretsch kit. A few years between them though. I couldn't play a number the same way, two nights running. Always pushing the envelope and the reason why I would never have made it as a pro drummer.

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Originally posted by Six View Post
                          I think Rick Marotta played the track on Peg
                          Steely was the studio SH&%
                          TD-9 Module Gen 2; TMC-6 Slave Module; PD-105BK; PD-85BK x 3; CY-13R x 1; CY-12C x 3; Kit Toy China 15" x 1; Kit Toy Splash 10" x 2; KD-9; CY-5 x 2; FD-7-; Pintech Dinbat used as Cowbell; TDA-700 & Roland KCW-1 Sub Woofer; Pearl 902 Double Pedal; ROC-N-SOC V- Stool with Back Rest

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            Originally posted by John.b View Post

                            Yea big difference mate, Loved the snare sound with the Gretsch kit. A few years between them though. I couldn't play a number the same way, two nights running. Always pushing the envelope and the reason why I would never have made it as a pro drummer.
                            Yes his continuity over 50 years is astounding
                            TD-9 Module Gen 2; TMC-6 Slave Module; PD-105BK; PD-85BK x 3; CY-13R x 1; CY-12C x 3; Kit Toy China 15" x 1; Kit Toy Splash 10" x 2; KD-9; CY-5 x 2; FD-7-; Pintech Dinbat used as Cowbell; TDA-700 & Roland KCW-1 Sub Woofer; Pearl 902 Double Pedal; ROC-N-SOC V- Stool with Back Rest

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              treasure trove
                              TD-9 Module Gen 2; TMC-6 Slave Module; PD-105BK; PD-85BK x 3; CY-13R x 1; CY-12C x 3; Kit Toy China 15" x 1; Kit Toy Splash 10" x 2; KD-9; CY-5 x 2; FD-7-; Pintech Dinbat used as Cowbell; TDA-700 & Roland KCW-1 Sub Woofer; Pearl 902 Double Pedal; ROC-N-SOC V- Stool with Back Rest

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                PS: Dave Weckl piece=orgasm of the ear
                                TD-9 Module Gen 2; TMC-6 Slave Module; PD-105BK; PD-85BK x 3; CY-13R x 1; CY-12C x 3; Kit Toy China 15" x 1; Kit Toy Splash 10" x 2; KD-9; CY-5 x 2; FD-7-; Pintech Dinbat used as Cowbell; TDA-700 & Roland KCW-1 Sub Woofer; Pearl 902 Double Pedal; ROC-N-SOC V- Stool with Back Rest

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X