Announcement

Collapse

Lounge Posting Guidelines

This forum is for general e-drumming discussion only! Do not ask product/advice/technical questions. Topics posted incorrectly will be deleted.
See more
See less

Drummers who nailed it is not too much and not too little

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drummers who nailed it is not too much and not too little

I want to start a thread about songs that I believe performance plated like the fairytale about the porridge being just right, in the middle, not too much, not too little, though I respect Ringo immensely, let's say not on that simplistic level, not that there's anything wrong with that, (everything is just my opinion which does not necessarily mean anything), nor on the over the top level, at times my opinion too much, when I have time I will post songs that I feel fit accordingly, and but of course it would be nice if y'all posted your own songs that fit this niche

First up in my opinion one of the most underrated drummers in history, God rest his soul, Danny Seraphine, (played for Chicago obviously, and in my opinion one of the most underrated bands of all time), I thought about starting the whole thread just about him, my goodness was he "on it," new how to be in the pocket and please the masses at the same time not overdo it and let the "front of the band" do their thing without overpowering, at the same time let it rip behind just right, and this song I think you did one of his best jobs:

Beginnings: Chicago

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lI-BMDnti4c

Listen and learn, and if you cannot learn from this you are not listening, I don't care who you are or you think you are
    Less is more, in this case more with less because he put more in with less

As always and all my posts: just one simple man's humble opinion
    Last edited by GuruMyStick; 06-10-19, 06:45 AM.
    TD-9 Module Gen 2; TMC-6 Slave Module; PD-105BK; PD-85BK x 3; CY-13R x 1; CY-12C x 3; Kit Toy China 15" x 1; Kit Toy Splash 10" x 2; KD-9; CY-5 x 2; FD-7-; Pintech Dinbat used as Cowbell; TDA-700 & Roland KCW-1 Sub Woofer; Pearl 902 Double Pedal; ROC-N-SOC V- Stool with Back Rest

Next up unfortunately another deceased drummer, God rest his soul, (yes even us really good drummers die so stop taking yourself so seriously), Jeff Porcaro, another hugely underrated drummer in my opinion, in a band obviously Toto: another in my opinion highly underrated band, he played so much in this song but at the same time held back and let the band do their thing without overpowering them, and did not turn off the musicality that was needed to touch the masses, (who overwhelmingly don't want to hear flip itty-bitty look at me drumming: listen to hit songs: 99% of them do not have crazy drumming in them, for reasons), which created a hit, and a song that any serious drummer in my estimation should learn, it's a triplet shuffle of sorts, many YouTube videos about it, about to put one up myself, it's not difficult, though of course at first like everything else it will be tricky if you do it for the first time, here it is, learn and enjoy, and again if you think you cannot learn from this guy/song/drumming/shuffle you are thinking too much in general, and too much about and of yourself

Toto - Rosanna

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qmOLtTGvsbM

As always and all my posts: just one simple man's humble opinion
    Last edited by GuruMyStick; 06-11-19, 12:38 AM.
    TD-9 Module Gen 2; TMC-6 Slave Module; PD-105BK; PD-85BK x 3; CY-13R x 1; CY-12C x 3; Kit Toy China 15" x 1; Kit Toy Splash 10" x 2; KD-9; CY-5 x 2; FD-7-; Pintech Dinbat used as Cowbell; TDA-700 & Roland KCW-1 Sub Woofer; Pearl 902 Double Pedal; ROC-N-SOC V- Stool with Back Rest

Comment

Steely Dan Jim Gordon https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXY_DNVFWVY
      Steely Dan Rick Marotta https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LI7NDDQLvbo
      Two Ton Shoe Dave Dicenso https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hkG4lJLtSRI
      but in my opinion 'taste' is not dead yet .. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=04W5CMZUHZs
      Last edited by Ericdrumz; 06-13-19, 11:29 AM.
      | Diy Roland/Yamaha e-kit | Sonor/Gretsch a-kit | Zildjian/Sabian/Ufip cymbals

Comment

Great topic, with some great players...

I'll add my main guy, Simon Phillips. No doubt I have a bit of bias, but I think this guy does it all so well while still clearly being Simon Phillips.

Here's (or hear) a peak into a session with the Coors for the song "Toss the Feathers" A bit of the extra Simon magic happens at the 1:10 mark, and just check out the reaction in the room. I think his style really fit even for that simple of a tune (and it clearly has some Pocaro/Purdie influence evidenced by that main beat at the beginning).

Here's another classic example of the ole' Simon finesse playing along with Ritenour & Stern (via SP drum cam no less!)

Last edited by Hoppy; 06-11-19, 10:48 AM. Reason: typo
        Hardware: TD20SX --> Roland UA-25EX --> MSI GT780DX w/ i7 2670, 16-GB of Ram, Windows 7
        Software: Superior Drummer 2.0, Metal Foundry SDX, Metal Machine EZX, Toontrack Solo - - Sonor X1 Studio - -

Comment

First heard Simon Philips on Mike Rutherford's album Smallcreeps day. Been one of my favourites ever since. I just love his feel and fills.
          Roland TD30 module on TD20 kit SD3 with various kits. Pearl Masters Kit, Yamaha 9000RC original natural wood finish. Cymbals from Zildgian Pasite and Sabian. Loads of percussion bits. Cubase and Wavelab always current versions.

Comment

Originally posted by Hoppy View Post
            Great topic, with some great players...

I'll add my main guy, Simon Phillips. No doubt I have a bit of bias, but I think these guy does it all so well while still clearly being Simon Phillips.

Here's (or hear) a peak into a session with the Coors for the song "Toss the Feathers" A bit of the extra Simon magic happens at the 1:10 mark, and just check out the reaction in the room. I think his style really fit even for that simple of a tune (and it clearly has some Pocaro/Purdie influence evidenced by that main beat at the beginning).

Here's another classic example of the ole' Simon finesse playing along with Ritenour & Stern (via SP drum cam no less!)

Simon is another master who plays just right, not too much, not too little-finesse perfection, oh yeah

Comment

Originally posted by Ericdrumz View Post
              Steely Dan Jim Gordon https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXY_DNVFWVY
              Steely Dan Jeff Porcaro https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LI7NDDQLvbo
              Two Ton Shoe Dave Dicenso https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hkG4lJLtSRI
              but in my opinion 'taste' is not dead yet .. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=04W5CMZUHZs
              Damn all awesome stuff to listen to

Comment

Thanks, hoppy. Now, you've made me miss my octos.
                Alan
                -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                website | youtube | facebook | group | newsletter | twitter | message
                -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

Originally posted by mkok View Post
                  First heard Simon Philips on Mike Rutherford's album Smallcreeps day. Been one of my favourites ever since.
                  another great example of a tasteful drumming CD..

| Diy Roland/Yamaha e-kit | Sonor/Gretsch a-kit | Zildjian/Sabian/Ufip cymbals

Comment

I always forget how great Simon is. I'd never heard of him until he played the 89 Who reunion. I remember seeing that on video when I was about 21 - it blew me away.
                    Pearl MIMIC Pro, TD50DP, ATV aD5, ATV aDrums Expanded, SD3, Presonus Quantum 2

Comment

Peter Gabriel: In Your eyes
                      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evN6DIGPIJM

A a few thoughts about this one:

First I don't know who this cat is, the drummer, but just wow, he is busy the whole time but he is not "too busy," he keeps the band on track, but he doesn't bring too much attention to himself, he plays it perfectly right down the middle, his use of the splash cymbals as accents on off beats is amazing. He threaded the needle right down the middle, walking the razor's edge, popping all the time, though making it sound so simple. This guy knows what he's doing. If anybody knows his name please let it be known.

Then some side notes: obviously everybody knows Peter Gabriel, in my opinion one of the most underrated composers and our time. I think Peter Gabriel, George Martin, John Lennon, Paul McCartney, and Quincy Jones are right up there with Beethoven and Mozart and company, yes I just said that, in fact I double down on that; I think these relative modern guys can go toe to toe with the big boys of the relative old past.

The African-American chick who sings "lead" is fascinating to me, her voice is ethereal ephemeral and angelic.

This song in my estimation is a masterpiece, put together through deep thought, emotion, much contemplation, lots of structuring, producing, there is so much happening in this song, and it makes people feel good which is the main thing.

And there is that iconic line: I reach out from the inside, one of the best lines of a song ever in my estimation.

Lastly when I listen to and watch this live version of this song everything in the world is right for approximately 10 min.

As always the humble opinion of a simple man
                      Last edited by GuruMyStick; 06-11-19, 04:32 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by GuruMyStick View Post
                        Peter Gabriel: In Your eyes
                        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evN6DIGPIJM

A a few thoughts about this one:

First I don't know who this cat is, the drummer, ...
                        Manu Katche
                        Pearl Mimic Pro; Acrylic Shells; UFO eBridges; R-Drums RTB Trigger; ATV/Roland Cymbals.

TD-50DP; KD-9; PDX-100(x4); VH-13; Roland Cymbals.

Comment

Originally posted by super_freak View Post

Manu Katche
                          Very cool thank you

Comment

the drummer who can play everything and always plays the right thing...
                            https://youtu.be/9_0zrd2u3uk
                            TD9 v1 > Scarlett 2i4 > macbook running SD3 and Garageband // TD9 v1 > Scarlett 6i6 > imac running SD3 and Logic // Zendrum > Stompblock > Scarlett 2i4 > macbook running SD3 and Garageband // ATH-M30x headphones / Yamaha DBR10 // small acoustic kits with Zildjian Ks, plus a few As and Sabians

Comment

YES!!! Manu Katche.... here's one that may be a little bit obscure, but is soooo good, so well crafted from all perspectives.
                              From Robbie Robertson's "Somewhere Down the Crazy River"

Hardware: TD20SX --> Roland UA-25EX --> MSI GT780DX w/ i7 2670, 16-GB of Ram, Windows 7
                              Software: Superior Drummer 2.0, Metal Foundry SDX, Metal Machine EZX, Toontrack Solo - - Sonor X1 Studio - -

Comment

Working...
                              X