Announcement

Collapse

Lounge Posting Guidelines

This forum is for general e-drumming discussion only! Do not ask product/advice/technical questions. Topics posted incorrectly will be deleted.
See more
See less

Drumming injury Plantar fasciitis anyone had this ???

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drumming injury Plantar fasciitis anyone had this ???

G'day I have been practicing a lot and Just started developing this heel injury on my right foot/ heel, from the kick pedal I think.
    I usually play heel up with both feet and only rest heels when not playing.
    When I only had a single kick I played heel down and only played heel up for faster beats, all the double kick playing I do is heel up.
    I am an older player and never had anything like this from playing before, so not real sure where to go from here.

if Anyone has any tips where I am going wrong technique wise? recovery etc I would be grateful.
    I searched around and there didn't seem to be anything drumming related, just thought I would try here. Cheers
    Last edited by sycle1; 06-10-19, 06:33 AM.
    NOW with New Improved TD-30 Module, some V drums an other music making thingies with miscellaneous small furry animals, large hairy animals, motorcycle bits and a big muff:rolleyes:.

I've not had this issue. I too am older and just started ramping up my practice session, which can be 3-4-hours in length. I do take breaks every 30-45-mins for about 5-minutes (mostly mental breaks due to concentration issues) however, I do make sure to do some stretching because my current routine is so "foot" focused.

Are you slamming your foot/feet down on the pedals? I mostly play heel up (train the right to play with a bit more power heel down, while trying to get more heel up out of the left) and I maintain contact with the pedal mostly on ball of my foot and the driving action comes primarily from ankle action, not just dropping my thigh on the pedal (I think this is the slamming I referenced in the question above).
    Hardware: TD20SX --> Roland UA-25EX --> MSI GT780DX w/ i7 2670, 16-GB of Ram, Windows 7
    Software: Superior Drummer 2.0, Metal Foundry SDX, Metal Machine EZX, Toontrack Solo - - Sonor X1 Studio - -

Comment

For plantar fasciitis, try doing stretches in the morning and evening for your calf. Ive had it a few times in my life from sports and such and it can become chronic if you don't rest for a bit and do the proper stretches. It's weird that you'd get it from drumming, though, since you don't put a ton of pressure on the plantar fascia while drumming.

You can look online for appropriate stretches. Would be easier than me describing them to you.

Comment

Maybe your condition was not caused from playing drums, even though it is causing pain when you play. Your technique might be fine and something else caused your condition. I hope you can figure it out.
        I played heal up until I had my hip replacement in November. I am now starting to play heal up again and itís taking some time to get my strength back in those muscles.
        Good luck!
        Equipment: TD-30KV, DW9000 hardware, ROC-N-SOC Throne, Behringer ULTRATONE K3000FX Amp, JBL EON 615 Powered Speaker, Yamaha MG06X. 1965 Ludwig Super Classic. Black diamond pearl. Zildjian K Custom Dark cymbals, DW 7000 hardware, DW 9000 kick pedal.

Comment

Well thanks to HOPPY, I managed to work out what has happened.
          I used a different pair of shoes for a few weeks and they had a higher heel (Old pair of Dress shoes) and the soles were quite slippery too causing me to keep pushing my feet forward to keep the balls of my feet on the pedal plate sweet spot.
          Because of the higher heel I didn't realize that I was slamming my heel into the heel of the shoe with every beat of the pedal, thus causing the bruise.
          With flat shoes this doesn't happen.
          I have been playing since 6 years old and now am 58 and never had that injury before.
          Hence me asking the question.
          I have learned the hard way, flat shoes only on the kit or bare feet.
          Thanks for all the comments and suggestions.
          Arnica cream for the bruise and a bit of rest, hopefully I will be back going rat a tat tatt in no time etc.
          NOW with New Improved TD-30 Module, some V drums an other music making thingies with miscellaneous small furry animals, large hairy animals, motorcycle bits and a big muff:rolleyes:.

Comment

Thatís great news, glad you figured it out.
            Equipment: TD-30KV, DW9000 hardware, ROC-N-SOC Throne, Behringer ULTRATONE K3000FX Amp, JBL EON 615 Powered Speaker, Yamaha MG06X. 1965 Ludwig Super Classic. Black diamond pearl. Zildjian K Custom Dark cymbals, DW 7000 hardware, DW 9000 kick pedal.

Comment

^^^ Ditto... glad you figured it out, 'cause we always love a good ending here on the forum!
              Hardware: TD20SX --> Roland UA-25EX --> MSI GT780DX w/ i7 2670, 16-GB of Ram, Windows 7
              Software: Superior Drummer 2.0, Metal Foundry SDX, Metal Machine EZX, Toontrack Solo - - Sonor X1 Studio - -

Comment

Yes just gotta give it a rest and heal now.

Comment

Its good to know of peoples drumming problems and there solutions. I am 70 and every time I play I seem to get another pain somewhere or other. Sometimes its still there the following day but mostly its something else. Just got to keep going. Every day a challenge if you know what I mean.

Comment

Working...
                  X