Announcement

Collapse

Lounge Posting Guidelines

This forum is for general e-drumming discussion only! Do not ask product/advice/technical questions. Topics posted incorrectly will be deleted.
See more
See less

Good coming from bad

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good coming from bad

Good coming from bad...

Approximately 8 months ago I tore my shoulder up in hand-to-hand combat training that I do. The result was essentially losing functionality of my right arm. The result of that was me having to use my left arm a lot more. I am right-handed, however in truth I'm actually left-handed; my well-intentioned and very nice kindergarten teacher forced me to use my right hand when I wanted to use my left hand for whatever reason, and I adapted, though I am more comfortable using my left hand instead of my right hand for some things, though again to keep this run-on sentence running, my body has been made over my lifetime to be more right dominant then left dominant. In the end I am ambidextrous.

I once posted about intentionally using your non-dominant hand a lot more for everyday tasks to improve your drumming. Try it, it does work.

Well since my right arm was not working I used my left arm six months or so almost exclusively, and found that indeed my drumming actually improved from it. A lot.

I then started playing openhanded. I didn't have a choice because my right arm could not reach the ride cymbal. Amazingly to me I became more comfortable playing openhanded than I now feel playing the right hand on the hi hat. I also do have a hi-hat on the right side of my kit which by the way I highly advise for those of you who are right-handed: there are various ways of accomplishing that, feel free to share your thoughts on how to do that, I just use a CY-5 connected via cable to my hi hat pedal which works for me.

My right arm through physical therapy and other is coming around finally and I definitely feel like a more complete drummer insofar they can "attack" fills from the left side, and play beats from the left side (left hand on left side hi-hat) much more fluently than before the injury.

So I share this story so that as all of us go through the trials and tribulations of this journey of life that we can sometimes gain benefit from what seems to be a bad situation. And as well in reinforce my own concepts that reinforcing the non-dominant hand in drumming can lead to more flexibility in playing.

Thoughts and comments welcome
    Last edited by GuruMyStick; 06-08-19, 05:07 AM.
    TD-9 Module Gen 2; TMC-6 Slave Module; PD-105BK; PD-85BK x 3; CY-13R x 1; CY-12C x 3; Kit Toy China 15" x 1; Kit Toy Splash 10" x 2; KD-9; CY-5 x 2; FD-7-; Pintech Dinbat used as Cowbell; TDA-700 & Roland KCW-1 Sub Woofer; Pearl 902 Double Pedal; ROC-N-SOC V- Stool with Back Rest

As a righthander I have always played a right hand kit though my left hand is more dominant than my right. Generally I do everything with my right hand, but when it comes to the drums, I get my feel from the left.

Comment

Originally posted by John.b View Post
      As a righthander I have always played a right hand kit though my left hand is more dominant than my right. Generally I do everything with my right hand, but when it comes to the drums, I get my feel from the left.
      I think that helps
      TD-9 Module Gen 2; TMC-6 Slave Module; PD-105BK; PD-85BK x 3; CY-13R x 1; CY-12C x 3; Kit Toy China 15" x 1; Kit Toy Splash 10" x 2; KD-9; CY-5 x 2; FD-7-; Pintech Dinbat used as Cowbell; TDA-700 & Roland KCW-1 Sub Woofer; Pearl 902 Double Pedal; ROC-N-SOC V- Stool with Back Rest

Comment

Congratulations. I always leaded with my left hand but played a righty kit and until I started studying with Bernie Dresel no one ever pointed out the crutch it caused in my playing. Especially going for fills down the right leading left. I'm not smart like Ringo. After 6 years of study I can lead with either hand even though I play traditional grip. I sometimes wish I never had the crutch but ultimately it's just who I am. I hope your arm heals 100% and you become a Billy Cobham fills master.

Comment

Originally posted by Howstamychi View Post
          Congratulations. I always leaded with my left hand but played a righty kit and until I started studying with Bernie Dresel no one ever pointed out the crutch it caused in my playing. Especially going for fills down the right leading left. I'm not smart like Ringo. After 6 years of study I can lead with either hand even though I play traditional grip. I sometimes wish I never had the crutch but ultimately it's just who I am. I hope your arm heals 100% and you become a Billy Cobham fills master.
          Sounds like you are way on the way, and thanks

Comment

Thank goodness they don’t force us lefty’s to go right handed these days. I’m 57 and suffered a lot with people trying to change me. Luckily my parents wouldn’t have it. Being left handed is quite good as your right hand gets trained well with all the gadgets and things that mean you have to use your right hand. When I did pole vault I could do it left or right handed! Good to hear you’re recovering and learnt a bit as well
            Roland TD30 module on TD20 kit SD3 with various kits. Pearl Masters Kit, Yamaha 9000RC original natural wood finish. Cymbals from Zildgian Pasite and Sabian. Loads of percussion bits. Cubase and Wavelab always current versions.

Comment

Working...
            X