Announcement

Collapse

Lounge Posting Guidelines

E-DRUMMING DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST PRODUCT OR TECHNICAL QUESTIONS!
See more
See less

Calling all Aussie E-Drummers!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Calling all Aussie E-Drummers!!!

Would you agree that our choices for mid to high end E-drums here in Australia are somewhat limited to only a select few brands?

Discuss.......

Firstly, A little background, Got divorced from my Alesis Strike Pro around 1 year ago due to irreconcilable differences.
    Been without a proper kit since then, doing lots and lots of research, trying to figure out my next move.

Fortunately, due to some savvy life choices (No Kids!), the best wife one could ever want, and some recent good fortunes, my budget is pretty much unlimited, but, given my location, what are my choices if I want module based sounds (No VST's)?

Of course, Roland is readily available everywhere, I am not interested in the TD-17 or the TD-50 (or the whole Roland "sound" in general). Certainly not enough to drop 10k plus on a TD-50KV that I am not sure I will like...... I am also very aware of Vex and what they can do to a Roland module, but I'm still not sold......

Alesis is also readily available, but I want gear that works, NOT BREAKS!!!

Yamaha potentially is another option, but their High End Kits (DTX900's) seem to be non existent these days.....

2box Drumit modules were around for a while here, but seem to have disappeared in recent years.....

You guys in the US and Europe are spoiled for choice, I wish I had an Edrumcenter or Drumtec where I could sit down at an AD5, or the new 2box Drumit 5, or a Pearl Mimic, etc and customize a setup perfect for me.

At this stage, I am leaning heavily towards an ATV Setup (aD5/adrums kit), but alas, there are only two dealers in the whole of Australia.
    (And by dealer, I mean they can order it if you pay first, nobody has any stock setup in store for demos, etc)

I am intruiged also by the Pearl Mimic, but they are almost 2 years old now, and Australia still hasn't seen any sign of them!!!

So, am I missing something?, I have been in contact with pretty much all the big name retailers here and I keep getting the same 3 brands.

Is there somewhere in Australia that would meet my needs that I may have missed?

Any input would be much appreciated......
    Sorry for the long post.....

Cheers,

Vig
    Last edited by Vigosh; 05-08-19, 05:25 AM.

Hi Vig.

I don't think you're missing anything. My experience is that my Roland kit is super reliable, and coupling my old TD9 with SD2 and then SD3 has been a great solution. But you don't want to go Roland (fair enough) and don't want to go VST (fair enough) so you're in a difficult place in this market.

Shipping stuff in is a risk because to claim on warranty or just return it you have to ship it back and as you say - try before you buy is not possible really. And you've got to pay GST on everything when it comes in now, so plus postage it gets ridiculous.

But ... you say finances are not a problem and your wife is great. Maybe you could convince her to go for a holiday to the US, where you could try out kits, buy a good one (saving close to the cost of the holiday - you'll be saving her money by taking her to the states ) and just make sure you buy a good power transformer when you get back. This would work out if you want the kit for home use only, but if you are gigging I wouldn't mess around with power transformers. You'd still have the problem of returns if you need to make a warranty claim.

Another option would be diy if you're that kind of bloke - heaps of good info on here about that route.

But yeah - options are limited in oz that's for sure. Good luck with it mate - let us know what you end up doing.
    E-Kits: Roland TD9v1, Yamaha DTX Multi12, Zendrum EXP; FD9, KT10 // Interfaces: Scarlett 2i4, Scarlett 6i6 // Sounds: Superior Drummer 3, Stompblock // Computers: Macbook, imac // Logic, Garageband // Headphones: ATH-M30x // Speakers: Yamaha DBR10, Yamaha HS7s // A-Kits: DIY compact kit, Mapex Meridian // Cymbals: Zildjian Ks, a few As and Sabians, and ...

Comment

Cheers Jack,

Yeah, I certainly wouldn't risk sending Tens of thousands of dollars to someone "on the internet", even if it is a massive store, I just wouldn't be comfortable doing that.
      Unfortunately, a US trip is out (My missus would need no convincing though), but alas, whilst we have no kids, we do have quite a few cats which need tending to.....

Unfortunately (Again), not into DIY stuff, just wanna be able to sit down and play.

This is why I am thinking ATV will be the best option for me.

My only qualm about the AD5 module is that the samples are completely dry meaning I would have to run them through a small mixer to even get the most basic of effects.

I also should have mentioned that I am looking to build a rather large kit (7 Toms, 5 Crashes, 2 Splashes, China, etc)....
      Even if I did go Roland, it is difficult to "stretch" what are already synthetic sounds any further to accommodate this size setup.

I am still a few weeks away from purchasing anything, so I will see what else my research can uncover.

BTW, Do you know what happened to 2box here?, I would love to check out their new Drumit 5 Module when it's released, but alas, can't find a dealer.
      Same goes for Pearl Mimic.....

Cheers,
      Vig.

Comment

Hi Vig.

I only recently looked into 2box because I like the idea of importing SD3 directly into the module. All things considered it doesn't look like the solution for me though. I've got no idea why they disappeared from oz (I noticed that they did), except for the obvious problem we face - we just don't have the population to create a big enough market support a whole bunch of (especially smaller) brands here.

I also should have mentioned that I am looking to build a rather large kit (7 Toms, 5 Crashes, 2 Splashes, China, etc)....
        Even if I did go Roland, it is difficult to "stretch" what are already synthetic sounds any further to accommodate this size setup.
        That's brilliant - I'm into small kits so never faced this issue. But my understanding is:
        • the ATV AD5 has a snake input with 2 auxiliary inputs - 3 toms, 1 crash, 2 aux - not sure how you're going to get the 18-plus inputs you want but I have no 1st-hand knowledge or experience with the AD5
        • the mimic pro has 4 tom inputs and 2 crashes plus 5 aux, but that still falls well short of what you're talking about
        • the TD50 has 4 toms inputs, 2 crashes, 2 aux and you _might_ be able to use the ordinary snare and ride inputs as extras if you use the digital snare and ride (you'd have to check with others on the forum). Alan seems to have 4 toms and 6 crashes on his TD50 in the Vex Infinity video so he might be a good source of info
        • both mimic pro and TD50 have MIDI IN which opens possibilities for expanding the kit - this link might be helpful: http://www.v-drumtips.com/adding-more-pads/

Good luck with it all mate.
        E-Kits: Roland TD9v1, Yamaha DTX Multi12, Zendrum EXP; FD9, KT10 // Interfaces: Scarlett 2i4, Scarlett 6i6 // Sounds: Superior Drummer 3, Stompblock // Computers: Macbook, imac // Logic, Garageband // Headphones: ATH-M30x // Speakers: Yamaha DBR10, Yamaha HS7s // A-Kits: DIY compact kit, Mapex Meridian // Cymbals: Zildjian Ks, a few As and Sabians, and ...

Comment

Hey Jack, I was going to get 2 AD5 Modules thus suiting my setup perfectly.....

BTW, I think I might have answered my own question....

You and me are the only two E-Drummers in Australia!

Cheers!
          Vig.

Comment

Originally posted by jackodrum;n1208405[*
            both mimic pro and TD50 have MIDI IN which opens possibilities for expanding the kit
            Not TD-50, you cannot expand the kit, you are limited on their Internal input, mimic pro you can have up to 24 triggers per kits via midi, 16 internal + 8 with midi, and td9\td20\ td30 have percussion sound for external triggers via midi.
            Last edited by Chris K; 05-09-19, 11:36 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris K View Post

Not TD-50, you cannot expand the kit, you are limited on their Internal input, mimic pro you can have up to 24 triggers per kits via midi, 16 internal + 8 with midi, and td9\td20\ td30 have percussion sound for external triggers via midi.
              Cheers Chris, Yeah I did know that about the TD-50 (Removal of percussion set).....

Damn, I wish I could try a Mimic, but alas, they don't exist down here in Australia......

Comment

mate - thereís an ATV AD5 module on gumtree if ur interested

https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/baul...rce=ios_social

Comment

Cheers dude,

Hey, I ended up going a full Roland setup, MONSTER kit, Pics to come! :-P

Yeah I am watching the AD5 don't worry. (Gumtree tragic!) :-)

If it's still there in a month I'm going to lowball him.

Did you see the Jobeky 14" snare the other week?, went for $150, I wish I had a use for it, would have snapped that up in a second!

Cheers Vig.
                  Last edited by Vigosh; 05-24-19, 05:37 PM.

Comment

missed that snare but iíve got to be careful with gumtree...

do post some pics. what module did you get?

Comment

I don't have it yet, but I ended up going TD-50. (Should come in late next week).
                      3 x 10" Toms, 4 x 12" Toms, 5 Crashes, 4 Splashes, Ride, China, 2 Hi Hats - Paired with my existing TD-25 it's gonna be epic!!!!

I wasn't too fussed with Alan's first two packs but his latest one "Infinity" with the new ambience modeling sold me!
                      Makes those tired old Roland samples actually sound like proper miked up kits which is what I am after......

I am going to use those as my starting points before I even fire this thing up (Will probably never even use the stock sounds).

It's shame about ATV, they could be a very formidable force but their footprint is far too small. (I'd still buy that AD5 though for the right price!)

Talk soon mate.
                      Vig.

Comment

wow - itís going to be bigger than 10 bears. would appreciate hearing how you put it all together with the two modules when itís all together.

iíve been looking at the td50 digital upgrade but my set up is good for my needs as it is (though itís old now). iím going to wait for the next roland flagship kit and see what they do. iím in no hurry so even if itís another 4 or 5 years thatís cool, and if i donít like the td60 (or whatever they bring out) i should be able to pick up a td50 at a good price.

i know you werenít keen on roland initially but theyíre so reliable - i reckon youíve made a good decision, especially with all the feedback about the latest td50 vex pack

Comment

Yep, Infinity did it for me, Reliability of Roland's gear was never a doubt. (Ex Alesis user, remember!)... :-P

Comment

Have you created the Bonham kit on the td50 yet? It sounds freakiní amazing.

https://youtu.be/NwqRGe80oPc

Comment

Don't have the kit yet mate, getting everything in a week or so.....
                              Will definitely setup the Bonham Kit for sure....!!

Comment

Working...
                              X