Announcement

Collapse

Lounge Posting Guidelines

This forum is for general e-drumming discussion only! Do not ask product/advice/technical questions. Topics posted incorrectly will be deleted.
See more
See less

Simmons Drums, I sent an email with an idea ehat do you guys think?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Simmons Drums, I sent an email with an idea ehat do you guys think?

Simmons Retro Drums, well just SIMMONS Drums.

Hi Simmons Drums. I am aware I am just some nobody musician but I have a suggestion.

Re-release original Simmons Drums, or boutique versions.

With the popularity of Electronic music (EDM, Trance, Dub, ShoeGaze, Ambient, DJ's ETC)

It would be great to have live kits that work with these genres.

I have built some "Stand Up" percussion stations for this purpose. Think of a set up like "electronic timbales" I built my pads from cut down acoustic shells with hand made internal piezo triggers. I could not attach pics here.

I like the look of your original 80's kits and then I saw your synthesized drum brains!

I searched and saw your new kits starting at 100 dollars for an SD2000 and then your old style kits from 2,500 to 8,000.00!

As I am sure you know there has been a resurgence of analog synthesis. Roland has released versions of their 808, 909 drum machines and 80's synth's. Korg has released boutique versions of there own classic synth's as well as ARP and Yamaha, they are even marketing a new drum synth (Volca Drum). Behringer is releasing clones of everybody's original analog stuff.

I would think that re-releasing your original style pads (The one that everyone loves, no mesh, octagon, bright colors) with a "new" Drum synth brain with some updates like MIDI, a simple sequencer, Clock and memory recall for sets and some effects.

Combine this brain with two pads and two cymbals on a Timbale like stand as an electronic stand up percussion station marketed towards modern electronic music.

Then a 3 pad version and a of course a full kit that is the original set form the 80's with the new brain.

I would not market them as "Retro, Classic, Boutique, etc." Just market them as "Simmon's Drums" We're back!
    5 piece DDRUM A to E Kit: Roland TD-11 Module with DIY Triggers and Mesh Heads, Roland CY-8 Crash, Yamaha PCY-135 Ride and Roland CY-5 Hi Hat using GoEdrum Controller. Plus Two other Complete DIY kits. One mini and one micro

the simmons pads i had were 6 sided.. not 8.. (i'm just teasing..) ..if they put silicon rubber on it (yamaha style) instead of table top rubber..
    i would buy one.. for sure..
    | Diy Roland/Yamaha e-kit | Sonor/Gretsch a-kit | Zildjian/Sabian/Ufip cymbals

Comment

SD2000 pads have mesh head and rim trigger like yamaha xp100/120 pads

Comment

I was thinking of making a similar post just now but you beat me to it. I'm hoping the "time is right" for some development in this area.

As far as "electronic" drums today there is very, very little that is targeted at a percussionist/drummer. I thought with the recent explosion of euro rack modules and analogue synths that there would be a great choice of new sounds and options to pick from but on the drum side everything seems to be geared towards kicks, hats and snares and if they do toms they are mostly tiny, drum machine tones that don't have any real punch. The Simmons kits may have oversaturated the scene back in the 80's but listening back to them they had heaps of presence and weight that I feel is missing from today's gear.

The closest thing we have today is the Nord drum which is very good and unquestionably more versatile than the early Simmons brains but I can't help think what a modern take on an analogue Simmons brain/module could sound like. The Simmons SDX was way ahead of it's time but I think with modern e-drums, VSTs and the upcoming Synthesia Pipes system with Mandala V3 drum pads we will have the sample based options mostly covered. What would be nice though is a true drum synthesizer that fully exploits that style of sound generation.

Now that Dave is back at his namesake's company I really hope he sees that there is a new opportunity in the current market for high-end analogue percussion along the lines of his expertise -even if it's just an honest to goodness recreation of the SDS V modules. The originals now sell in the thousands - for a reason. they are unique.

Most people think of 80s pop, disco or new wave music when the Simmons drums are mentioned but there have been other artists like Bill Bruford, Rob Hirst (Midnight Oil), Danny Carey and Alex Van Halen that showed how they were suited to just about any musical genre.

Roland TD-20, TMC6, Hart Dynamics TE3.2, Kontakt, DFH1, DFH Superior, Multiface - Cardbus, Smartrigger cymbals.

Comment

I had an SDS V an a SDS 7 in the 80th. Later in the 90th I 've bought also a SDS2000. Would be nice to have these Sounds back again in addition to my acoustic sounds. There is a FB Group from a Simmons Guy that refurbished old Simmons Kits as good as new and sell them https://www.facebook.com/thesimmonsguy/

BR

markuZ

ATV aDrums with a Mimic Pro, Superior Drummer 3.0

Comment

I'm sure they will be scrambling to make this happen asap I love it!

Comment

Edrummers are a niche of drumming in general. They admitted releasing the newest SD2000 retro design from Dave Simmons himself was a mistake, the market changed, are not in demand, the price was only 1200$, if it does not sell at this price, it won't sell more with all retro sound and retro triggers.
              Last edited by Chris K; 05-06-19, 08:06 AM.

Comment

I had one of the first kits with the hard pads. They were ok then but I wouldn’t want one now or an edrum that shape. I don’t get the retro edrums.
                Roland TD30 module on TD20 kit SD3 with various kits. Pearl Masters Kit, Yamaha 9000RC original natural wood finish. Cymbals from Zildgian Pasite and Sabian. Loads of percussion bits. Cubase and Wavelab always current versions.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris K View Post
                  Edrummers are a niche of drumming in general. They admitted releasing the newest SD2000 retro design from Dave Simmons himself was a mistake, the market changed, are not in demand, the price was only 1200$, if it does not sell at this price, it won't sell more with all retro sound and retro triggers.
                  I think they should just release a module in euro rack format initially.... and it needs to be the original or similar analogue circuitry - not samples. I'd imagine there would be a big market for the non-drummer euro rack crowd and if a drummer wants to make a playable kit they can just create their own rack from the modules and add some sort of trigger interface (hopefully from Simmons) and a mixer module.

The individual modules in the SDSV were mostly similar with tweaks to the filter, noise and resonance ranges. I'd imagine they could make a single module today that could cover them with a toggle switch and maybe offer an add-on for the cymbal/Hi-Hat e-proms rather than dedicated modules. They could follow that up with an FM version to make the Nord or SDS7 like sounds. Individual CV control for all the settings would be great and would negate the need to duplicate and be an improvement over the 4-preset system on the originals.

I'm frankly surprised they haven't done it already. Hopefully they haven't lost too much on the SD2000 kit.
                  Last edited by mercury; 05-06-19, 08:45 PM.
                  Roland TD-20, TMC6, Hart Dynamics TE3.2, Kontakt, DFH1, DFH Superior, Multiface - Cardbus, Smartrigger cymbals.

Comment

The SD2000 module output to mixer and/or headphone kind of weak. I paid $350 for the full display kit. Sold the module already for $175 amd keeping all the hexagon mesh pads and hexagon hihat/cymbals.

Comment

Originally posted by mercury View Post
                      I was thinking of making a similar post just now but you beat me to it. I'm hoping the "time is right" for some development in this area.

As far as "electronic" drums today there is very, very little that is targeted at a percussionist/drummer. I thought with the recent explosion of euro rack modules and analogue synths that there would be a great choice of new sounds and options to pick from but on the drum side everything seems to be geared towards kicks, hats and snares and if they do toms they are mostly tiny, drum machine tones that don't have any real punch. The Simmons kits may have oversaturated the scene back in the 80's but listening back to them they had heaps of presence and weight that I feel is missing from today's gear.

The closest thing we have today is the Nord drum which is very good and unquestionably more versatile than the early Simmons brains but I can't help think what a modern take on an analogue Simmons brain/module could sound like. The Simmons SDX was way ahead of it's time but I think with modern e-drums, VSTs and the upcoming Synthesia Pipes system with Mandala V3 drum pads we will have the sample based options mostly covered. What would be nice though is a true drum synthesizer that fully exploits that style of sound generation.

Now that Dave is back at his namesake's company I really hope he sees that there is a new opportunity in the current market for high-end analogue percussion along the lines of his expertise -even if it's just an honest to goodness recreation of the SDS V modules. The originals now sell in the thousands - for a reason. they are unique.

Most people think of 80s pop, disco or new wave music when the Simmons drums are mentioned but there have been other artists like Bill Bruford, Rob Hirst (Midnight Oil), Danny Carey and Alex Van Halen that showed how they were suited to just about any musical genre.
                      Yes Yes Yes!!! You get this exactly!
                      5 piece DDRUM A to E Kit: Roland TD-11 Module with DIY Triggers and Mesh Heads, Roland CY-8 Crash, Yamaha PCY-135 Ride and Roland CY-5 Hi Hat using GoEdrum Controller. Plus Two other Complete DIY kits. One mini and one micro

Comment

In 1990, I saw an ad for a SDS 7 set. When I checked it out, I realized that the owner bought pretty much two sets of pads. It was a 12 piece set.
                        He had gigged with it, so he built this crazy, heavy duty wooden case for the 'brain', had soft cases made for all the pads and a foam-padded steamer trunk for all the stands.
                        He wanted $2,000, but I only had $1,000, so I thanked him and left.
                        A month or so later, he called me and asked if I still wanted the set. I reminded him I only had $1,000 and he told me his van needed serious engine work and he used that to get to gigs, (he moved back to acoustic drums).
                        The deal was made.
                        He also included about 20 eproms and an eprom-blower. You had to erase the eproms with ultraviolet light. Crazy.
                        I wrote to Dave Simmons asking if I could buy an owner's manual and he sent one free of charge with a nice note.

At the time it was fun and it allowed me to practice at night in an apartment. My neighbors were old and hard of hearing, so it was perfect.
                        The hard pads and cymbals were pretty hard on the wrists after a while, though.

When I was moving from MA to FL, I sold everything on ebay for $1,500 + shipping.
                        I don't really miss it at all.

Comment

Working...
                        X