Announcement

Collapse

Lounge Posting Guidelines

This forum is for general e-drumming discussion only! Do not ask product/advice/technical questions. Topics posted incorrectly will be deleted.
See more
See less

Solutions for quieter pad noise from v-cymbal hi-hats?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Solutions for quieter pad noise from v-cymbal hi-hats?

It's 2019. Roland hasn't really made much progression with the hi-hats in terms of making them *quieter* acoustically. Does anyone have any tips or tricks they use to quiet pad noise on the hi-hat? I have moved into an apartment and have a massive v-drum kit, but I'm still very self-conscious about bringing it out of my friend's house due to the hi-hat noise. Everything else seems like it would be tolerable to neighbors. I have a VH-11.

Has anyone tried these rubber drumstick tips? https://www.amazon.com/Yibuy-0-8x0-6...drumstick+tips

Has anyone used a mesh pad as a hi-hat and found the experience generally tolerable?

Also, if any apartment dwellers have experience with how an upstairs neighbor perceives the drums, that would be nice to hear. I'm in a ground-floor end-unit where I have yet to hear any neighbor besides my upstairs neighbor, so that's the only one I'm concerned about.
    Last edited by Goneja; 01-15-19, 11:32 PM.

Originally posted by Goneja View Post
    It's 2019. Roland hasn't really made much progression with the hi-hats in terms of making them *quieter* acoustically. Does anyone have any tips or tricks they use to quiet pad noise on the hi-hat? I have moved into an apartment and have a massive v-drum kit, but I'm still very self-conscious about bringing it out of my friend's house due to the hi-hat noise. Everything else seems like it would be tolerable to neighbors. I have a VH-11.

Has anyone tried these rubber drumstick tips? https://www.amazon.com/Yibuy-0-8x0-6...drumstick+tips

Has anyone used a mesh pad as a hi-hat and found the experience generally tolerable?

Also, if any apartment dwellers have experience with how an upstairs neighbor perceives the drums, that would be nice to hear. I'm in a ground-floor end-unit where I have yet to hear any neighbor besides my upstairs neighbor, so that's the only one I'm concerned about.
    I have used a mesh pad as a high hat trigger and it is less noisey and feels ok. Never used the rubber drumstick tips.

You have probably the quietest HH trigger available. Any two piece high HH trigger raises the stick noise considerably in open mode as the space between the two pads amplifies the sound. And the clapping of the pads back together and the pressure on the pedal needed to do so is noisy.

You sound like you've got the ideal situation with an upstairs neighbor and no one below, but for what it's worth I'll give you my scenario. Sympathetic low frequency vibrations from the actual HH pedal can still be a a problem. I use 1 Roland Noise Eater NE-1 Sound Isolation pad under each of my 2 HH legs/feet. They also cut down the stick noise slightly. I play sometimes until 4am upstairs and get no complaints from the downstairs bedroom occupant. $21.95 each from Musician's Friend and they delivered fast. There is also the Roland NE-10 sound isolation pad for under the actual pedal footboard and a Roland RDH-120 stand with the isolation under the footboard built in. But now you're getting pricey and you'd still need to get two NE-1's for the HH stand back legs/feet or three if you have a tripod.

I understand you are referring to the constant sound of the stick hitting the high hat pad but I use a VH-11 with the NE-1's and it's pretty quiet and no likely alternatives I know of other than the suggested spongy mesh pad. A drum-tec Real Feel 3 ply head would stiffen the attack bud add a little more noise than a traditional Roland 2-ply head.
    Last edited by Howstamychi; 01-16-19, 11:03 AM. Reason: clarification

Comment

Also if you are worried about the transmission of sympathetic vibration through your dwelling, there are plenty of threads related to the subject including building platforms or risers to minimize the effect, like the good ole' tennis ball riser and the inner-tube platform.

Check out this video for another material altogether...
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wAxxviPW7Bc
      Hardware: TD20SX --> Roland UA-25EX --> MSI GT780DX w/ i7 2670, 16-GB of Ram, Windows 7
      Software: Superior Drummer 2.0, Metal Foundry SDX, Metal Machine EZX, Toontrack Solo - - Sonor X1 Studio - -

Comment

I appreciate the advice from you folks. Sympathetic vibration is not a huge concern at all. I believe the flooring underneath my fully carpeted living room is concrete. The corner of the room where the drums will go is actually 'subterranean' for a few feet due to a slope. I use a Roland KT-10 trigger for bass drum, which I love, as it's the 'ultimate noise-reduction solution' for that piece of the kit. I wish there was something similar for with the hi-hat.

I use a gibraltar rack with a gibraltar no-leg hi-hat stand for the VH-11, so things aren't really moving around much and I can easily soften the one point that actually touches the ground. I planned on filling the gibraltar rack with sand or equivalent material just because I can. The noise i am concerned about is, pardon the lack of the technical term, the noise that transmits through the air from clacking around on the hi-hat. The room is rather large and although I have significantly reduced unnecessary echo in the room, I figure the tapping might drive the upstairs neighbor insane. I'm maybe going to attempt the foam drumstick tips, possibly felt covers for the cymbals, or look into an acrylic enclosure down the road.

Comment

i've used a mesh pad as a ride late at night, because of noise.. but it feels very odd.. rubber ride and hihat are the loudest pads on an e-kit,
          if it is a concrete ceiling then you might have some luck.. a wooden ceiling is going to be tough with blocking noise..
          i'd play on the same hours .. and casually ask if they hear 'something' sometimes..
          | Diy Roland/Yamaha e-kit | Sonor/Gretsch a-kit | Zildjian/Sabian/Ufip cymbals

Comment

Working...
          X