Announcement

Collapse

Lounge Posting Guidelines

The Lounge is for general e-drumming discussion only. Please do not ask product/technical questions. Topics posted incorrectly will be deleted.
See more
See less

Smartwatch with drumming

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Smartwatch with drumming

Recently I've been toying with the idea of having a smartwatch to use with my running/swimming/cycling activities. One thing that came to mind is how it would complement drumming as well? If at all? I'm still not sure which brand or tier but most likely it would be something with heart rate and gps sensors. Has anyone had any experience with these gadgets while drumming? Any way of tracking anything usefull other than the heart rate itself? They can count steps, cadence etc. so why not strokes and tempo for instance?
    °•A kits: Mapex Saturn ltd. Mapex Meridian, Ludwig and Pearl snares, Paiste, Anatolian, DW5002TW•°
    °•Roland TD-12 brain, SPD-SX, Roland RT triggers•°
    °•Ship kits: TD-12KV, TD-30K, TD-50K•°

They log your playing as steps. That’s the bad part. Otherwise, the logging of your heart rate will act as a calories burner monitor.
    Alan
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    website | youtube | facebook | group | newsletter | twitter | message
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

Got a Metronome on mine. Sort of Soundbrenner,
      *** Never buy a module without MIDI IN ***
      Yamaha & Roland modules. DTX,TM-2, EC-10m, SP-404. Multi12. TrapKat. ControlPad. Wavedrum. Handsonic. Dynacord RhythmStick. MPC. Paiste 2002/Signatures. Cajons. Djembes. Darbuka. Windsynth. MIDI Bass. Tenori-on. Zoom ARQ. Loads o' synth modules. & some ukes

Comment

Originally posted by electrodrummer View Post
        Got a Metronome on mine. Sort of Soundbrenner,
        My friend's got one of those soundbrenners, but it's not a smartwatch. Is the one you have any good? I'd like to use the thing in as many different ways since I'm not wearing wriswatches over 15 years. At least to make it useful
        °•A kits: Mapex Saturn ltd. Mapex Meridian, Ludwig and Pearl snares, Paiste, Anatolian, DW5002TW•°

Comment

Got an Android--based Sony Smartwatch 3... Had it for years. Fine beast.
          *** Never buy a module without MIDI IN ***
          Yamaha & Roland modules. DTX,TM-2, EC-10m, SP-404. Multi12. TrapKat. ControlPad. Wavedrum. Handsonic. Dynacord RhythmStick. MPC. Paiste 2002/Signatures. Cajons. Djembes. Darbuka. Windsynth. MIDI Bass. Tenori-on. Zoom ARQ. Loads o' synth modules. & some ukes

Comment

If you set your smart watch to pedometer function, after a session it would tell you you just walked 750 miles, so there's that.

Oh, yeah... if someone screws up in practice, you could have your smart watch play excerpts of Buddy Rich chewing out his band on the travel bus:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=covUesgI6fA
            Immensely powerful yet with a liquid cat-quick elegance

Comment

My fitbit counts my drumming as steps, so quite easy to cheat to get to 10.000 steps a day :-)
              Drumming does not count as exercise in my book, but it would have been useful to me if the watch could log drumming practice time, but the fitbit doesn't offer custom defined 'exercise' (yet).
              E-kit: https://www.dropbox.com/s/rz173edtgc...14709.jpg?raw=1
              A-kit: https://www.dropbox.com/s/vxkwbj1rv7...345-1.jpg?raw=1
              TD-30, KT10, PD-105/125, 13" DIY + BT-1, VH-11/CY14/15/5, PM-30, HD-280 Pro

Comment

Originally posted by djska View Post
                Drumming does not count as exercise in my book
                Can fitbit show how many calories you burn during a session? Maybe it's me but drumming can be intensive enough to count as a workout... My eKit setup goes along the lines of playing acoustics, if I want to sound loud, I have to play hard. Breaking a sweat is almost mandatory

Comment

I can break into a sweat from household work, still wouldn't count it toward exercise ...

Comment

Originally posted by MilosDrummer View Post

Can fitbit show how many calories you burn during a session? Maybe it's me but drumming can be intensive enough to count as a workout... My eKit setup goes along the lines of playing acoustics, if I want to sound loud, I have to play hard. Breaking a sweat is almost mandatory
                    Yes. Keep in mind it's using HR data to do so. I do not know if it is taking "steps" into consideration, but it is quite possible that "registered as steps" may lead to a higher calorie burn average.
                    Alan
                    website | youtube | facebook | group | newsletter | twitter | message

Comment

Although there's maybe a benefit of having a smartwatch with custom workout (maybe a one not counting steps or something) for drumming, and although this topic can stay open for future comments, I decided to go with a cycle gps computer (wahoo). I'm a recreational swimmer and runner, and also a cyclist, but I mostly needed the navigation at hand when doing unexplored routes on the bike. Also, wearing a watch has not been my thing for past 15+ years

Comment

to add, the fitbit (incorrectly) interprets the swinging of arms as steps taken.

Comment

Working...
                        X