Announcement

Collapse

Lounge Posting Guidelines

This forum is for general e-drumming discussion only! Do not ask product/advice/technical questions. Topics posted incorrectly will be deleted.
See more
See less

Nowhere to go: The Anti "Gear Aquisition Syndrom" Topic

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nowhere to go: The Anti "Gear Aquisition Syndrom" Topic

Hi. just wanted to share some thoughts. Short: I started with a Cheap Millenium Set, went to a Yamaha DTXtreme2s, stopped drumming, restarted with another cheap Millenium Set, bought a TD11K and upgraded it.
    Now I am at a Point where I got nowhere else to go for a reasonable Price, and wanted to share my thoughts to give some Food for thought.

1. Modul: I have the TD11 . Upgraded it with 2 Drum Tec Sound Editions, which changed the quallity drasticly. I would like more realistic accoustic sounds. Loved the Idea of upgrading to a TD17, but it`s just not worth the Price, as the noticeable higher Quality (for me) starts with the ATV ad5 but really kicks in with the mimic. So no upgrade there.
    2. Snare: 2Box Trigger, Real Feel Drumhead, nice 12" Shell. Works fine.
    3. Kick: KD-9. works. does not look cool, but I Play an my Basement. nobody cares.
    4. Toms: 2 PDX-8 for TomToms, 1 PD-120 as Floor Tom. works
    5. Cymbals: 2 CY-8 as Crashes, 1 CY13-R as Ride. works.
    6. HiHat: FD-8 - CY5 Combo. Looks really crappy, but I can not bring myself to invest 400 Bucks in a nice Hi Hat Stand plus a VH-10 or VH-11, just for the Looks and the acoustic feel, both I do not Need.
    7. Hardware: The PDP Concept Bass Drum Pedal works really well for me. Well. A Nicer Rack then the MDS-4 would be cool, with more Option on Bass Drum and Tom Placement. I have seen the Ales Trike rack for 150 at Drum Tec. That`s the only Thing that might be interesting.

So, my Cure for G.A.S is being stuck with decent gear, where every significant upgrade Costs like 400$ up and there is Nothing that really sucks and no Little upgrade for like 80 bucks available. I once read " updae the most annoying piece on your drumset". Right now that`s Nothing.

While starting from the TD11-K, a used PDX-8 for 50 Bucks instead of the PD8A Rubber Pad increased the feel massively, a Cy13R instead of a CY8 for a Ride is a different world and a 12" Snare instead of a PDX-8...well, I find no words for that upgrade.

Right now, I don`t think there is a drumset in the below 6000 $ Range that could significantly enhance my experience while drumming.

No Questions, no interesting Info. Just had to put my thoughts out into the world.

• holzi2000
    replied
    Originally posted by holzi2000 View Post
    I lost, GAS won.

I`ll get myself a used Pearl Forum today, Drumtec Design Mesh Heads and 2Box Triggers. Just for the better Looks and a little bigger surfaces. Those PDX-8 Pads work Pretty well and will survive 20 years of beating but they just scream "I am not a real drum" at you.
    Added a GoEdrum HiHat Controller, a zoom USB 3.0 Audio Interface, SSD5 and Addictive Drums 2. Now I only Dream About 1-2 more Cymbal Pad replacing the CY-8 as a HiHat and the CY13R as a Ride.

Leave a comment:

• holzi2000
    replied
    I lost, GAS won.

I`ll get myself a used Pearl Forum today, Drumtec Design Mesh Heads and 2Box Triggers. Just for the better Looks and a little bigger surfaces. Those PDX-8 Pads work Pretty well and will survive 20 years of beating but they just scream "I am not a real drum" at you.
    The Setup is nearly complete now.
    The 2 Box Triggers work really well with these Heads, and the new Setup is way more inspiring.

Jst annoying that one Trigger was not working when I got the set and one trigger has a shiny finish (all other have a aluminum look). Strange.

Leave a comment:

• DigitalMD
    replied
    Originally posted by MylesB View Post
    I waited and bought a TD-17kvx kit a few weeks ago and a DA200 amp. Still have more work to do but the sound is great through the headset, but i bought the amp for nothing. I canít believe how bad it sounds using and amp and/or through a PA system that a sale got me. I feel the same way you do. No where to go from here.

I looked on eBay for an Acustic kit today during lunch so that the next time I get asked to sit in a band, i can...

I also spent 500 on a double peddle and a nice hi-hat stand. I absolutly love playing my headphone drum set, and that is putting it lightly. But if somebody can help recommending an accustic set i would be very appreciativ. Please no sales.
    Maybe you paid too little for your DA200S and got a broken one.
    I have that setup and use it for small gigs. I find the DA200S sounds spectacular. Start with your EQ flat on both the vdrums and the DA200S and take off the reverb on the vdrums. Tweak the eq on the DA200S a little at a time to get a great sound then make small adjustments to the eq and fx on the vdrums. Just like real pros, your mix will never sound as good live as it does in the headphones, it can't because you can never get that type of freq response or stereo separation form live speakers and room acoustics.
    If you want the DA200S to really shine, get a pair of satellite speakers like Yamaha ns-aw350 and hook them up to the aux speaker output for true stereo separation. It blows me away.
    You could never get that quality of sound from acoustic drums without thousands of $$$$ of mics and FX and a full roadshow behind you.

Leave a comment:

• jimorlando
    replied
    Originally posted by Intruder View Post
    That ought to get the hips moving
    Thanks Intruder,
    picked up my new bicycle last week. Still a little chilly for riding here. There are all sorts of cool technological gadgets for bicycles. I have serious GAS again.
    Last edited by jimorlando; 02-18-19, 06:52 PM.

Leave a comment:

• holzi2000
    replied
    I lost, GAS won.

Leave a comment:

• jackodrum
    replied
    Thatís right holzi. If your drums sound bad, you need to look at your tuning and your playing. If your cymbals sound bad, you need different cymbals.

Leave a comment:

• holzi2000
    replied
    Originally posted by jackodrum View Post
    Ö. I have midi in and out, separate triggers on heads and rims, and a 3-zone ride that works. I would like positional sensing on the snare for SD3 but for the money I would have to spend to get it I really wonder how much Iím missing.
    That is the spirit of this thread! Not spending 500 Bucks for a 1 % improvement.

Originally posted by jackodrum View Post
    Re buying an A kit, beautiful shells are great to have, but really, choice and tuning of heads is much more important. I would recommend saving money on the kit, but make sure you have good pedals, and spend up to get cymbals you love.

Right on Point. Even very advanced Drummers confessed that it is close to impossible to hear the difference between a 5000 $ handmade Sonor Kit and a 300 Dollar entry Level kit with the same heads and same Tuning, especially for a live Setting, playing along to Music.

But crappy cymbals: there is no way to make them Sound decent.

Leave a comment:

• holzi2000
    replied
    I currently set my kit up like Harry Miree (Hi Hat pedal on the Left side, Hi Hat cymbal Right). Fake open handed.

So I would Need something like a remote Hi hat. Does not make sense to me. Much rather I would just buy a better cymbal than the CY-8 I currently use for the Hats.

Leave a comment:

• jackodrum
    replied
    Love this thread.

I bought a TD9 v1 (all mesh heads) about 10 years ago. It has a KD8 which I have thought about replacing but it keeps working and does the job. I replaced the FD8 which needed repeated repairs and got too noisy with an FD9, which works well with the module and VSTs. I added a PD8 to copy the cowbell positioning on my acoustic kits. I have thought about upgrading but with SD2 and now SD3 I can never bring myself to spend thousands of dollars on a new module.

I donít need large heads (my main acoustic kit has only one 10Ē inch snare and one 10Ē inch tom), I have midi in and out, separate triggers on heads and rims, and a 3-zone ride that works. I would like positional sensing on the snare for SD3 but for the money I would have to spend to get it I really wonder how much Iím missing.

Re buying an A kit, beautiful shells are great to have, but really, choice and tuning of heads is much more important. I would recommend saving money on the kit, but make sure you have good pedals, and spend up to get cymbals you love.
    Last edited by jackodrum; 01-31-19, 02:52 AM.

Leave a comment:

• yoav420
    replied
    Man, I love your Story and your picture. Looks like a realy quiet kit!

If you lasted 3 years without significant Upgrades (and with a PDX-8 Snare) you were doing just fine and earned yourself a new set.
    I now promoted a CY-8 to be the Hi-Hat and the cy-5 is a Splash cymbal. Not much of a difference, but I kinda like it more.

I thought about buying an Audio interface and all the stuff for a dedicated VST-Computer to Play EZ Drummer or Perfect Drums. But honestly I think that just takes away time I should practise or have fun playing the drums without a big enouogh benefit (in my case!).

Completely silent!
    Yeah, that pdx-8 was pretty harsh but that's it, the trigger has been pulled and a td-17 is on it's way to me. I haven't played for around 3 weeks and I'm simply DYING to try it already
    If you want to invest more in your kit, since you have a good snare and ride I'd say the next upgrade is definitely a proper hi-hat, maybe your can find a good used deal and dodge the 400$ price tag. For me, the difference was simply huge, I hated the fd-8 so much!
    Ah and you don't need an audio interface with the td-11, you can connect it to your computer via usb and I heared there's really good response time that way. My next step is definitely Superior Drummer 3, just listen to that sound quality: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_EHZlIjPVA, I just really needed good pads but sound wise it beats anything I ever heard.

Leave a comment:

• holzi2000
    replied
    Man, I love your Story and your picture. Looks like a realy quiet kit!

If you lasted 3 years without significant Upgrades (and with a PDX-8 Snare) you were doing just fine and earned yourself a new set.
    I now promoted a CY-8 to be the Hi-Hat and the cy-5 is a Splash cymbal. Not much of a difference, but I kinda like it more.

I thought about buying an Audio interface and all the stuff for a dedicated VST-Computer to Play EZ Drummer or Perfect Drums. But honestly I think that just takes away time I should practise or have fun playing the drums without a big enouogh benefit (in my case!).

Leave a comment:

• yoav420
    replied
    I was in a situation similar to yours, I kinda liked my VEXed td-11k enough to keep playing it without upgrading and lasted like a good boy for 3 years.
    And then I found a really good deal on a used vh-11, the difference was so big that it re-ignited my GAS big time, just in the middle of Uni exams also heh.
    The td-11 will always have a place in my heart but man, that ****ing pdx-8 snare, those lame cy-8 and worst of all, that god forsaken cy-5 & fd-8 fail combo did not get better with time.
    I ended up selling my kit, as of right now I'm in a middle of a huge GAS attack, looking like a madman for a replacement (most likely a td-17kvx) and drumming on my legs instead of studying.

CURRENT KIT: NOTHING

tl;dr - If you buy anything, that GAS is going to come out, and it's not gonna smell good.
    Last edited by yoav420; 01-27-19, 04:51 PM.

Leave a comment:

• MylesB
    replied
    You will only find one volume knob on a td17kvx kit. Just think about that for a second. Almost every song loaded needs to be tweaked before you play.

So maple is way to go?

Leave a comment:

• Intruder
    replied
    That ought to get the hips moving

Leave a comment:

Working...
X